Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pour me some tequila and tell me about Mexican Prog

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oh, they were mentioned by that troll.
    The verdict is he has you on the ignore list. So no Cast. And no more Smilson Wilson offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The verdict is he has you on the ignore list. So no Cast. And no more Smilson Wilson offensive.
    Yes. He told me 'goodbye' in that thread. Therefore he must also have missed out on a lot of what was transacted after I was forced to leave his sphere of consciousness. Although those transactions weren't trolly. This is what happens when one says goodbye prematurely. It's so sad, that. Never say goodbye, 'thustra! Never say never! Never Again!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yes. He told me 'goodbye' in that thread. Therefore he must also have missed out on a lot of what was transacted after I was forced to leave his sphere of consciousness.
    Nah, you evil bastard troll - 'cause most of those transactions ended up being quoted afterwards. Damn that dysfunctional ignore-function.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

And no more Smilson Wilson
    Any relation to Nilsson Schmilsson?

Yes. He told me 'goodbye' in that thread. Therefore he must also have missed out on a lot of what was transacted after I was forced to leave his sphere of consciousness. Although those transactions weren't trolly. This is what happens when one says goodbye prematurely. It's so sad, that. Never say goodbye, 'thustra! Never say never! Never Again!
    You should be charging us here Scrots!

Now where is the "gratitude" button?

where is the "gratitude" button?
    I believe it was left behind in that thread on sitting vs. standing. I'm not entirely sure, though. Could be, but perhaps not. I mean, sometimes standing is better than sitting, but not always. But if you feel like standing, then that's what's best for you right then and there, albeit possibly not right after. On the other hand, you may want to lie down or even dance the ceiling, like Lionel Richie.

Darn it! Somehow these threads always end up being about Lionel Richie.

I believe it was left behind in that thread on sitting vs. standing. I'm not entirely sure, though. Could be, but perhaps not. I mean, sometimes standing is better than sitting, but not always. But if you feel like standing, then that's what's best for you right then and there, albeit possibly not right after. On the other hand, you may want to lie down or even dance the ceiling, like Lionel Richie.

Darn it! Somehow these threads always end up being about Lionel Richie.
    I prefer it lying down and a girl on top...but no Lionel Richie on the ceiling. No. That would put me off.

Listening now to Banda Elastica 2. Yahoo! It makes me want to taste all of Chalkpie's suggestions simultaneously!

Viva los progos!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    This wins the contest for “album artwork f%&*ing with the listener’s expectations.” The front cover makes this look like some sort of metal album. Then you get the back cover of a bunch of Mexican guys with guitars, and you begin to think it’s some sort of pre-Colombian folk sort of thing. Then you actually put it on and all these weird synth sounds blast you in the face! These guys get points for originality; this album took some time to really appeal to me but their sheer creativity (especially their vast imagination in their use of all those Korg and ARP synths) puts them over the top.
    Nobilis Factum is definitely one of my favorite albums from Mexico.

I think Iconoclasta were the most consistently, reliably good Mexican prog band.
    Agree with this as well. Everything I have by Iconoclasta is good to excellent, with the 2-on-1 CD by Art Sublime my fave.

Any opinions on the 2 Nuevo Mexico albums? I've been close to pulling the trigger a couple times, but have yet to do so?

^ I quite like Hecho en Casa, although it may come across as a bit "primitive" sounding compared to much of what was happening elsewhere in the mid-70s. But the sae goes for most 70s progressive from the South- and Latin Americas. Nuevo Mexico had a quasi-jazzy hard-rock and even post-psych bent to them, as did the earlier band El Ritual.

Although Cast has fallen off the radar a bit over the years, I think their most recent album may be the best of their entire career. It is really really good. I saw them at Progtoberfest last year too and the current lineup is outstanding.

Saena is the continuation of Jose Luis Ledezma and Margarita Botello projects. A bit more on the symphonic side of prog, very cool stuff. They are still active doing gigs in Mexico City every now and then.

A newer band is Ekos, their latest output was Otra Dimension and are receiving a bit of recognition from the media over here in Mexico. Check them out, they have a cool spacey-Floyd vibe.

And on the jazzy side, there's a somewhat new band from Queretaro, Filulaz Juzz. If you love the Canterbury Scene check them out, they have some of that flavour in their music.

This is a clip of a short lived band called Delta de Dirac, wish they would have done more.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1bKx2N5CYlo

Crisalida is an interesting female voiced progband, perhaps more on par with progmetal, yet most certainly a band that will appeal to the Chilean band Matraz, and their Gritare album.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aOAk7aD0h2w

And this band released one cd, I believe. Toccata- Circe
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jXjEABuHeXY

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    Crisalida is an interesting female voiced progband, perhaps more on par with […] the Chilean band Matraz, and their Gritare album. ]
    Matraz' Gritare is outstanding, but not by any means a bonafide 'prog-metal' one; there's too much fusion going on, especially in their harmonics and keys department. I'll have to check out Crisalida.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Luis Pérez (México Mágico Cósmico) - En El Ombligo De La Luna (Ipan In Xiktli Metzli)

Not exactly prog but sits easily in any kosmische collection.

Luis just opened last Thursday sold-out (~3,500) concert of Premiata Forneria Marconi held in Mexico City.

On another mexican prog bands related note, there will be by the end of this year a prog festival called Mega Prog, it will include some relatively new local prog bands, such as: Ekos (mentioned above in this thread), Meliora, Anima Tempo and Glass Mind, along with Le Orme and Unreal City from Italy and Focus from you know where.

Saludos

Banned
    Big fan of Mexican prog here incl. many of the great bands mentioned. I hope Cabezas de Cera will be touring again soon, I've missed every chance I've had to see them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rulo View Post
    Luis just opened last Thursday sold-out (~3,500) concert of Premiata Forneria Marconi held in Mexico City.

On another mexican prog bands related note, there will be by the end of this year a prog festival called Mega Prog, it will include some relatively new local prog bands, such as: Ekos (mentioned above in this thread), Meliora, Anima Tempo and Glass Mind, along with Le Orme and Unreal City from Italy and Focus from you know where.

Saludos
    This is just great! Is there a special interest in Mexico for the Italian Prog Bands? And if yes, why?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Any opinions on the 2 Nuevo Mexico albums? I've been close to pulling the trigger a couple times, but have yet to do so?
    Hecho en Casa is the best i.m.o. but not a priority...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Roots!

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I hope Cabezas de Cera will be touring again soon,
    I sadly believe they're over and done with.

Is there a special interest in Mexico for the Italian Prog Bands?
    I know I've got a Banco 2CD somewhere called En Mexico or something, recorded in '98/99 or thereabout. Quite good, but sad to hear these days in light of what happened to Giacomo. I always wondered how they came to have an audience down there, as it was recorded in a theater in Mexico City rather than at Baja etc.

... as it was recorded in a theater in Mexico City rather than at Baja etc.
    And 3.5 k for PFM - or whatever stands for PFM nowadays - is very impressive too.

There was a concert promoter in the mid 90s to early 2000s that organized several prog concerts in those years in Mexico City, MexProg, headed by Carlos Carsi. And there was a predilection for italian bands. PFM, Banco, Le Orme, Il Balleto Di Bronzo, Deus Ex Machina, Arte E Misteri, etc. All those concerts were memorable and cemented a large following of these bands.

Also, I have noted a rising interest in prog these days in Mexico City. Last year we had 5 sold out shows from King Crimson in a 3,800 venue!!! Last month Hackett played to a sold out venue.