Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: New Classical

  1. #1

    New Classical

    Anyone into these not dead composers?

    Victoire is an all-female chamber ensemble playing works by Missy Mazzoli. Quite Canterbury / Henry Cow-like at times.



    John Luther Adams does large scale "environmental" works. I saw this performance, nice the way each unit operates both independently and as part of the whole. Cool pattern at 5:55.

    Last edited by arcticranger; 05-05-2018 at 04:43 PM.

  2. #2
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,732
    Saw John Luther Adams piece Become Ocean at Big Ears festival a couple of years ago, really excellent. Bang On A Can were the artists in residence this year & played some great pieces.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  3. #3
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,072

  4. #4
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,406
    Arvo Pärt


  5. #5
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,166
    NOW Ensemble

    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Saw John Luther Adams piece Become Ocean at Big Ears festival a couple of years ago, really excellent. Bang On A Can were the artists in residence this year & played some great pieces.
    Oh yea Become Ocean is an experience. Reminds me of Mandala Symphony by Toshiro Mayazumi. I like BOC when they don't do their own music.

  7. #7
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,616
    The 8th Blackbird does some nice stuff, theirs and others.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

  8. #8
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,732
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    NOW Ensemble

    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The 8th Blackbird does some nice stuff, theirs and others.
    Both of these are great.

    Does Sarah Kirkland Snider count? Loved their performance at Big Ears & the album gets plenty of play.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  9. #9
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,072
    Sound Patterns by Wayne Siegel (kind of a cross between Phillip Glass and Univers Zero)



    The sound is bad, it doesnt give justice to the music. Maybe I can find another clip/version...

  10. #10
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,072

  11. #11
    This guy sent Philip Glass a cassette at age 17 and was flown to NY immediately. He writes massive operas for samplers and is now working in Germany. Interesting how he turns Glass's repetitions into physical actions. This is the closing act of his 4th opera.


  12. #12
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,166
    More by Steve Reich.I quite like this performance of Electric Counterpoint III-Fast.

    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  13. #13
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,072
    Simeon ten Holt - Canto Ostinato Pt. 2

    Well.... he died in 2012


  14. #14
    Too much of the 2nd generation stuff sounds like new age to me, who needs all this gone-to-heaven-music? Glass and Reich are now so commercialized they stock them at the Food Emporium near me, I swear, right near the fish dept.

    Now ensemble is good, eighth blackbird of course.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Simeon ten Holt - Canto Ostinato Pt. 2

    Well.... he died in 2012

    And not really at a young age, so far from 2nd generation.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simeon_ten_Holt

    Another dead composer, which could be considered 2nd generation, would be Steve Martland, but not really new age like.


  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Another dead composer, which could be considered 2nd generation, would be Steve Martland, but not really new age like.
    Hey I love Steve Martland, used to have all his CDs, glad someone mentioned him. He believed that income and class shouldn't be a barrier to entering professional music and created workshops for low income kids. Had no idea he died.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticranger View Post
    Hey I love Steve Martland, used to have all his CDs, glad someone mentioned him. He believed that income and class shouldn't be a barrier to entering professional music and created workshops for low income kids. Had no idea he died.
    Already a few years ago. There seems to be some confusion on his year of birth. Wikipedia mentions 1954 and the same year is in his orbituary in the Guardian and in some other newspapers I read 1959.

    I only have a video of Danceworks.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Already a few years ago. There seems to be some confusion on his year of birth. Wikipedia mentions 1954 and the same year is in his orbituary in the Guardian and in some other newspapers I read 1959.

    I only have a video of Danceworks.
    Danceworks is the piece that got me into him. Forgot he studied with Louis Andriessen who is still going at age 80. I can't help including the lyrics to this LA piece because they show his playful side, it's performed by a generally really hot woman in a little girl's school uniform, plus it kicks ass.



    A is for Adam and
    E is for Eve
    B is for bile, blood, and bones.
    C is for conception, chromosomes, and clones.
    D is for Devil.
    F is for fertility and Venus' fur.
    G is for germs and growth and genius.
    H is for hysteria.
    I is for intercourse.
    J is for Justine or the misfortunes of virtue.
    K is for Kalium, or potassium, if you like.
    L is for lust, and lightening, lightening…

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticranger View Post
    Danceworks is the piece that got me into him. Forgot he studied with Louis Andriessen who is still going at age 80. I can't help including the lyrics to this LA piece because they show his playful side, it's performed by a generally really hot woman in a little girl's school uniform, plus it kicks ass.



    A is for Adam and
    E is for Eve
    B is for bile, blood, and bones.
    C is for conception, chromosomes, and clones.
    D is for Devil.
    F is for fertility and Venus' fur.
    G is for germs and growth and genius.
    H is for hysteria.
    I is for intercourse.
    J is for Justine or the misfortunes of virtue.
    K is for Kalium, or potassium, if you like.
    L is for lust, and lightening, lightening…
    Alas that video isn't available.

  20. #20
    Here's a not so great performance of it.


  21. #21
    Worthy of Laudation thedunno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticranger View Post
    Victoire is an all-female chamber ensemble playing works by Missy Mazzoli. Quite Canterbury / Henry Cow-like at times.
    I bought this from BC based on this thread. A really lovely album not unlike Five Storey ensemble and Aranis. I love the subtle use of electronics in their, otherwise acoustic, sound. Very recommended!

  22. #22
    plays fine for me

  23. #23
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,072
    You owe it to yourselves:

    H. Abrahamsen: Let Me Tell You (w. Barbara Hannigan)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4l...TWxEKWEmZKZrRk

  24. #24
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,072


    Why isn't this thread in the 'Other Topics' departement?

  25. #25
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    392


    Bassoon Concerto. There's a CD on the BIS label that also includes the Aho concerto.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •