Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Five Summer Albums

Frampton Comes Alive was all your heard on the raido the summer I graduated.. I think it hit the top of the charts that spring but the wave it created carried it thru the summer months. Beach Boys and Beatles are other obvious choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No, Ian. No. Search your inner self for light. There's agreement to be had. Definite agreement.
    Yes Ian, surely you're confused. I've adjusted my 5 accordingly. Except of course for the amazingness that Mr. Scissor graced us with earlier. Nothing like an accordion to short-live our rare and unneeded bouts of unnecessary joy.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Frampton Comes Alive was all your heard on the raido the summer I graduated.. I think it hit the top of the charts that spring but the wave it created carried it thru the summer months. Beach Boys and Beatles are other obvious choices.
    I wouldn't know. I was mad at the radio in 1975 because they wouldn't play Wobbler. Probably why I was unaware of Polka.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    It's A Beautiful Day (White Bird)-s/t

Love - Forever Changes
    H.P. Lovecraft - both LPs
    PFM - Per Un Amico
    Jobim - Stone Flower
    Magma K.A.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Love - Forever Changes
    H.P. Lovecraft - both LPs
    PFM - Per Un Amico
    Jobim - Stone Flower
    Magma K.A.
    I like that list!

I completely forgot about: The Aqua Velvets - Nomad. Best surf guitar album ever for me, maybe because of the slight proggy overtones

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    No Waiting for Columbus (Little Feat); No Summer.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

The Go Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane
    Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
    Virginia Ashley - From Gardens Where We Feel Secure
    XTC - Skylarking
    Steve Hillage - Green

1) Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues
    2) The Doors - L.A. Woman
    3) Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East
    4) Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
    5) Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I'll be a dick (slightly) and not really answer the question...

For me summer albums generally fall into one of two categories: 1) uptempo/energetic modern prog (Echolyn [especially early], Deus Ex Machina, Spock's Beard, etc) or 2) something that gives me the feeling of 'hot and sweaty' music. Not music for lovemaking, but something that makes me envision a large band stuffed into a small, poorly ventilated room, preferably underground. Stuff that usually fits this criteria are the more energetic krautrock bands (Can, Amon Duul II, Gila's debut, etc) and (probably more) modern space rock/psych bands, like Causa Sui, Papir...basically a large chunk of the El PAradiso record. Some of the more intense jazz/fusion/etc would also fit here.

All that said, one of my favorite musical happenchances occurred one day several summers ago. I was driving down a highway during sunset. It was pretty clear so the sky fell into a picturesque sunset look. I had the windows down and John Zorn's 'In The Vision Of Blakelight' playing on the car's stereo. It fit the mood perfectly, and I also try to have that album (or some other mystic series album) around for those types of occasions during the summer months.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.