Thread: Gentle Giant live question

Gentle Giant live question

I've been looking through a few GG live releases and one thing strikes me as strange; I have not seen a single track from "Three Friends" performed live. Is there a reason why it has been overlooked? It's actually my favourite release of theirs.

I guess you just never noticed Peel The Paint.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I have the 2011 remastered CD of Three Friends on the Alucard label, which has a live version of Prologue. Unfortunately, it's not the entire song, probably due to a tape or performance issue.

They played both PROLOGUE and SCHOOLDAYS live early on. I guess it had a lot to do with the drumming situation at the time. If you are aware of the band THREE FRIENDS, you will note that the majority of the tunes played are from the album THREE FRIENDS.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Yeah, that's a fine record too, and only playing 'Peel The Paint' back in the day (that was always my least favorite from the album), was too bad although they did have a lot of greatness to choose from. Still, I would have loved to end any concert with the song 'Three Friends', one of my all time favorites.

Wish I could have seen the band 'Three Friends'

actually they played more of three friends than of the albums surrounding it I only have plain truth from acquiring the taste live.

I have a number of bootlegs with prologue school days is rarer, and then peel the paint as we know.

octopus they only ever did the excerpts from medley as far as I know (also just advent of panurge on civilian tour) though that is a sizable chunk.

even glass house they only did the runaway way of life medley thing and in a glass house as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    I've been looking through a few GG live releases and one thing strikes me as strange; I have not seen a single track from "Three Friends" performed live. Is there a reason why it has been overlooked? It's actually my favourite release of theirs.
    As other posters have said, there were tracks that Gentle Giant performed live from Three Friends. However, I don't think they ever played any of the songs from Acquiring The Taste in concert (except for a brief snippet of the title track on Playing The Fool-Live).

I think there are early live tapes that include "Plain Truth."

Some people who saw the band in U.S. in 1972 say they remember them playing "Working All Day."

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I think there are early live tapes that include "Plain Truth."

Some people who saw the band in U.S. in 1972 say they remember them playing "Working All Day."
    plain truth was played a lot in the early years. just about every recording I have from before power and the glory has it I think. but that is the only acquiring the taste track played in full live that I know of (the title track was touched on in octopus medley sometimes)

Banned
    Three Friends

PROLOGUE
    PEEL THE PAINT
    SCHOOLDAYS (apparently only done on one English tour in November, 1972)
    MISTER CLASS AND QUALITY
    Note: sometimes, the band was known to combine some of these songs into mini-medleys. PEEL THE PAINT and MISTER CLASS AND QUALITY were combined at times, occasionally with a Gary Green guitar solo in the middle. sometimes, VALEDICTORY from THE POWER AND THE GLORY was also thrown into the mix. It is rumored that the other songs from this album were played live in the early days, but this has never been verified.
    https://www.blazemonger.com/GG/Live_...#Three_Friends

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I guess you just never noticed Peel The Paint.
    Ah yes, you are correct. Forgot about that one! Wish we had more though!

John Boegehold
    I saw GG the first time in September 1972 opening for Yes in Detroit on the CTTE tour, all three Shulman brothers in the band. That was the first time I'd heard anything from them and was absolutely blown away. I went out and bought Three Friends and Octopus the next day. I wish I could remember exactly which songs they played but there were several from Three Friends including Prologue and Peel The Paint, but they could've played others. I also remember Nothing At All from the first album since they stretched it out to incorporate drum/percussion solos.

Live at King Alfred’s College in 1971 has a bunch off the 1st album, Plain Truth off Acquiring the Taste and Peel the Paint off Three Friends. I think that’s an official release although not quality sound.

1. Giant
    2. Hometown Special
    3. City Hermity
    4. Funny Ways
    5. Plain Truth
    6. Alucard
    7. Isn't It Quiet and Cold?
    8. Why Not
    9. The Queen
    10. Peel Off the Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Live at King Alfred’s College in 1971 has a bunch off the 1st album, Plain Truth off Acquiring the Taste and Peel the Paint off Three Friends.
    Not quite: "Peel Off the Paint" is an otherwise unreleased song, not the same as "Peel the Paint." It's long, very hard-rocky, and unfortunately presented in dismal sound quality.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx