Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You went to see the main act and were blown away by the support act...

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    UK opening for Tull
    I saw that tour too - it was the Stormwatch tour, with the three-man (Jobson, Wetton, Bozzio) version of UK. I remember enjoying UK's set, but being a bit disappointed by Tull's; but then, I've never really cared for that album...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

1980 - John Cougar and the Zone (Mellencamp) opening for Kansas at the Riviera in Chicago. And Kansas was also fantastic that evening.

2004 - took my wife to see Norah Jones (she was okay) in Milwaukee and a solo artist, Amos Lee opened. He was great, have now seen him many times since

2006 - Kings of Leon opening for Bob Dylan in Chicago. Kings of Leon were really good, Dylan not so much.

Stevie Ray Vaughn opening for Robert Plant. I had no clue who Vaughn was at the time, but he blew the doors off the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkil View Post
    Rory Gallagher opened for Rush at MSG on the Signals tour. I had never heard of him and was floored.
    Always wished I could have experienced Rory live. All of his live stuff I have sounds so energetic. I don't think the U.S. ever appreciated his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Always wished I could have experienced Rory live. All of his live stuff I have sounds so energetic. I don't think the U.S. ever appreciated his talent.
    He admitted he didn't play over here much because he had a "Buddy Holly complex".

One of the things I kinda like about him was that he wasn't just an electric blues guitarist, the way so many other players from that era were. He was well versed in the acoustic Delta stuff, and often times dropped a couple acoustic songs into his live shows. I've got one of his Rockpalast appearances on a bootleg VHS tape I bought back in the 90's, and he does like two or three acoustic songs, very authentic sounding.

None more than the Paupers opening for Jefferson Airplane at the Cafe A Go Go in NYC in early '67.

They were the far better band that night (Grace was horrid).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Camel opening for Wishbone Ash. Had never heard of them at the time, circa 1975
    At the Long Beach Arena, in that same time period, I saw Wishbone Ash as the headliner and Camel was the middle bill, while the opening act was none other than KISS...!

Also not prog, but I saw the Chameleons at the Variety Arts Center in LA (the same place a couple of Prog-Fests were held) and the opening band I had never heard of, yet enjoyed very much...The Mighty Lemondrops...!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkil View Post
    Rory Gallagher opened for Rush at MSG on the Signals tour. I had never heard of him and was floored.
    No offense, but Rory should have been the headliner here...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    At the Long Beach Arena, in that same time period, I saw Wishbone Ash as the headliner and Camel was the middle bill, while the opening act was none other than KISS...!
    That sounds like my kind of show!

I have never seen any such concert but I have heard more than once that The Cars opened for Foreigner and blew them out of the water. The first time I heard that was from someone who saw the show.

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    1980 - John Cougar and the Zone (Mellencamp) opening for Kansas at the Riviera in Chicago. And Kansas was also fantastic that evening.

h.
    I had the same experience with Mellencamp opening for Heart. This would have been the "American Fool" tour right when he was really starting to hit it big. I did not think I would like the guy at all, but he totally blew the crowd away and Heart never came close to matching the intensity. I gained a lot of appreciation for JCM as a live performer that night.

No offense, but Rory should have been the headliner here...lol
    The one time I saw Rory Gallagher live he was third on the bill behind Jethro Tull and Robin Trower, but ahead of Starcastle...
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The one time I saw Rory Gallagher live he was third on the bill behind Jethro Tull and Robin Trower, but ahead of Starcastle...
    Tull, Gallagher, Trower, and Starcastle? All on the same bill? The mind boggles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Fabulous concert...although I probably would've gone to take a piss and grab a beer during the Starcastle set.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

1978 - Van Halen opened for Black Sabbath. I had just bought the first VH on cassette but I was not prepared for how great a live band they were. They obviously blew BS out of the water that night.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Fabulous concert...although I probably would've gone to take a piss and grab a beer during the Starcastle set.
    Starcastle?? More like take a crap and grab a six pack....

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Starcastle?? More like take a crap and grab a six pack....
    More like go out for a curry, a couple of pints, a dump & a spliff. (Just to make sure they'd left the stage)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Back in the early 80's I started going to the Marquee in London to see all the new Prog bands, first I saw Marillion with Solstice in support, then I saw Solstice with Pendragon in support, then I saw Pallas with Pendragon supporting again, the I saw Twelfith Night with IQ supporting again, it went on like that for a while until all the bands were headlining and doing multiple nights. For a while it felt like there was real momentum bad sadly it all fizzled out by the late 80's.

Attended a few shows mainly for the opener. Got surprised when going to see Mahogany Rush (the headliner) get handed a completely wrung out and recovering audience after Judas Priest’s set. Marino was visibly disappointed w/ the crowd and there was no encore. About 25 years later went to a show where Slayer opened for and completely crushed Judas Priest.
    A friend of mine says similar things about Patto opening for Ten Years After and Van Halen opening for Turd Nugget, um I mean Ted Nugent.

^^^ There's a separate thread for when you went to see the opening act.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Two "support" bands kicked my ass at Rosfest this weekend. Barock Project on Saturday and Flor De Loto on Sunday. I will write more of a review when I get time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ^^^ There's a separate thread for when you went to see the opening act.
    Guess the 1st sentence of my last post was extra baggage. Did not attend either of the shows mentioned specifically to see the opener.

A relatively-unknown Aerosmith, opening for Mott The Hoople.

My very first concert at age 14 was the Outlaws opening for Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The Outlaws blew them off the stage in singles acts as well as when they all jammed together at the end of the night.

Pre Steve Perry Journey opening for ELO circa 1976.