Thread: Peter Hammill tour 2018

Peter Hammill tour 2018

Mixing up the setlist like mad thing https://www.setlist.fm/search?query=...ref=opensearch

Saw him in Manchester on Wednesday and he was in great form. The voice is wearing well, the range narrowed slightly but the diction still perfect!

Saw him at the QEH last Friday and it was a great concert. I hope he continue to tour regularly.
    Tu veux un camembert?

Great looking set lists!

Wow! Huge differences in those sets! I'm loving all the Over material he's been including too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Looking forward to seeing him in Bristol this evening - the last time I saw him performing "solo" was 35 years ago!

Looking at these set lists is both exciting & a little frustrating - I want to hear *everything*!!

Amazing to think that he has been performing for 50 years, & that he is still pushing at the limits of his repertoire on a nightly basis...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Looking forward to seeing him in Bristol this evening - the last time I saw him performing "solo" was 35 years ago!

Looking at these set lists is both exciting & a little frustrating - I want to hear *everything*!!

Amazing to think that he has been performing for 50 years, & that he is still pushing at the limits of his repertoire on a nightly basis...
    I hope you have a stellar evening! Please report back with details of the concert!

I'm like that, I felt privileged to see what I did but looking at he other setlists and going "I wish he'd played....XYZ"

Would have looked something like this...

PH 1.jpgPH 2.jpg
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    I hope you have a stellar evening! Please report back with details of the concert!
    So, it was a stunning evening (despite the downbeat assessment of a Hammill fan who's been to all the dates on the tour, & was disappointed that there were only 4(!)songs played anew - apparently, that takes it to around 75 different tunes performed on this tour!)

The venue was sold out - around about 250 aficionados - & the vibe in the room was superb.

pH kicked off with Siren Song, then launched into a searing rendition of Time Heals - from which point, he was locked in!

76/77 - Over & The Quiet Zone felt like the centre of musical gravity for the show. The Voice was in superb fettle - & pH himself was at ease throughout, whilst performing with as much intensity & commitment as ever.

Stand outs for me were a super run through The Amnesiac, Been Alone So Long & then Primo on the Parapet - all songs that turn on themes of memory & forgetting. These conjunctions are, I guess, what this varied approach to the repertoire enables. There was an extraordinary version of What's it Worth, complete with wild detuning to create slide guitar effects. The Mercy, from Thin Air, was breathtaking.

He played Anagnorisis & Milked from his excellent new lp, & both stood up in comparison to the rest of the material, especially the former. Both thrived in the greater musical gusto of the live performance - &, indeed, pH played really well throughout.

The set closed with a ferocious Traintime, from Patience.

And then he came back, & played Afterwards, & I must confess to the shedding of a small tear - the sense of the full circle of his career, the return to where it all began, one of his most lovely songs...

Thanks for sharing this link JJ (good to see you back, hereabouts, btw!). I like the respect given to the closing track from the latest record - definitely one of Hammill's best tunes in recent times, & a superb album closer.

pH kicked off with Siren Song
    He did do so in 1995, when he toured with Stewart Gordon, Nic Potter and Manny Elias. I remember when he started playing first chords of a Siren Song, and sang Letters and pensils... the audience raised from the chairs, as if by the order.