Thread: RJG Rejoins the Enid, Announces (another) Complete Reboot

RJG Rejoins the Enid, Announces (another) Complete Reboot

It appears that RJG may not have Alzheimer’s Disease after all. From the band's most recent newsletter:

We have both lost confidence in the project going forward and we have concluded independently that it just wasn’t working. After discussing our options, we both agreed that Robert needs to return. Zach has now left and Jarrod has followed suit.

Jason & Robert
    Over the years, we have built a strong friendship based on the music we both love and common values we share. We will take the band forward with just the two of us calling the shots and running the band.

Max Read and Duncan McLaughlan will be assisting the band on all fronts to get us back to where we were. Recent decisions taken with regard to The Enidi will now need to be re-evaluated and we will be in touch very soon on this matter.

RJG says: “Since the Joe Payne days, the band has been extremely unstable. This latest upset is a chance for me to set right the disastrous decisions I have taken of late. The Enid is a unique entity which although I never meant to create, I nevertheless need to take responsibility for. To have walked away at a difficult time was cowardice, and I have paid the price”.

Now or Never? or Wow Forever
    Between now and next spring, we are going to transform Homily into a major new studio album. When it is finished we will organise a substantial international tour for The Enid. In the meantime, there will regular uploads and online performances.

For Robert, this will mean addressing both his physical and mental health, a process which is already well underway. For Jason, this will be preparing for the day when he will take The Enid forward on his own.

In January 2014 Robert was diagnosed with early Alzheimer’s. Two weeks ago, he had a further brain scan to determine the progress of the disease. Unaccountably, the scan was completely clear. Either he has got better, or the original diagnosis was flawed.

All the best from us both – now down to work

Jason & Robert

and all at ENID HQ

Glad RJG is back on deck.

I mean Enid without RJG?

That's not Enid.

Reminder: Always get a second opinion.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great news on Roberts health. He seems prone to some really bad decisions over the history of the band. The idea of The Enid without him was always a bit weird for me (echoes Gong without Daevid) but it could have worked, apparently it didn't.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yes, great news indeed for RJG. I really loved the Joe Payne era and hope that he can continue at that high level of creativity in the future.

He's being too hard on himself though. The idea of the Enid without him was perfectly reasonable given his diagnosis. Which didn't mean it would work, but I don't think it was in any way exploitative or underhanded. I don't believe it will have damaged the legacy of the Enid.

Few bands can successfully pull off a complete line-up "reboot". The Gong re-boot seems to be the one that is working at a level where all current members want to, and are able to, continue.

I think it's great, the Homiley album that RJG and Jason have been working on has far more chance of being a proper Enid affair than the legacy band did.

There's an interesting interview in the new issue of Prog magazine with Joe Payne in which he talks about his reasons for leaving the Enid and about what's coming next. His new album, due early next year, is apparently going to clock in it at quite some length. Excellent. Something to look forward to!