Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 100 great math rock albums you never heard

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

So it's basically punk except everybody's playing intricate Zappablackpages instead of three chords.
    I would never have expressed it that way, but I can’t really argue with the above...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    So it's basically punk except everybody's playing intricate Zappablackpages instead of three chords.
    I wouldn't say that. But most of it certainly aims for attaining the energy and (imagined) spontaneity of punk as merged with a web of notes and metres more akin to the densest progressive rock music. I suppose the main reason for this being that many or most math-rock musicians themselves belong to a generation which naturally discovered their own "subversive" underground before that of the previous generation. So yeah, they prolly got cerebral punk (Circle Jerks, Butthole Surfers, Meat Puppets et al.) before realizing there'd once been something else (Beefheart, KCrim, Magma, HCow etc.).

But by 2018, the majority of ongoing math-rock moves beyond mere rough edges or quantifications of 'countability'. I love this professional footage of Yowie appearing at some local instruments' store and actually drawing; it illustrates just how established the concept itself is with some younger listening segments:

Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 12-02-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    ...and Yowie, despite being the most obscure of the bands you mentioned did get a fair bit of press for their final album last year.
    Are they done then? That's a shame.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Are they done then? That's a shame.
    Doneish, kinda? They are on hiatus and they have said the band will be back in some new form, whether that means a new lineup or a different sound, time will tell. Perhaps premature to say “final”, but the band is on hold until further notice.

No Father Figure on the list? What a shame. Their two albums are some of the most exhilarating stuff from the past 5 or so years that one can put the math tag on.

https://fatherfigure.bandcamp.com/album/heavy-meddlers

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Doneish, kinda? They are on hiatus and they have said the band will be back in some new form, whether that means a new lineup or a different sound, time will tell. Perhaps premature to say “final”, but the band is on hold until further notice.
    But I kinda got the impression that they were an on/off endeavour to begin with, so not as much "breaking up" than making hiatus a rule after each release before eventually teaming up again. I guess that's what a lot of bands do nowadays, although in the case of music like Yowie's it's not exactly "like riding a bike".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM