Thread: Riversea - The Tide (2018)

Riversea - The Tide (2018)

Riversea-Tide.jpg

I am a huge fan of their debut album Out Of An Ancient World and if you like me loved that one then The Tide is an autobuy. Not quite surprisingly it is a bit darker in its subject matter but the music has not entirely gone down that route fortunately. Excellent production and some great guest appearances (mostly on guitar) by Lee Abraham, Robin Armstrong (Cosmograf), Simon Godfrey, Paul Cusick and Peter Aves.

For downloads go to:
    https://riversea.bandcamp.com/album/the-tide-2

For CD go to:
    http://www.riversea-band.com/

Marc Atkinson has one of the finest voices in all of music.

reminding me of Tim Bownes... TB is 'sweeter' still
    good music, but missing grittier bits (as far as I am concerned). Well worth a listen tho

Great album

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTG8 View Post
    Definitely.

He used to do solo singer-songwriter gigs in my local pub until he moved away from the area. Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Definitely.

He used to do solo singer-songwriter gigs in my local pub until he moved away from the area. Excellent!
    I still do solo acoustic gigs for a living in the Yorkshire and Cumbria areas of England

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Riversea-Tide.jpg

I am a huge fan of their debut album Out Of An Ancient World and if you like me loved that one then The Tide is an autobuy. Not quite surprisingly it is a bit darker in its subject matter but the music has not entirely gone down that route fortunately. Excellent production and some great guest appearances (mostly on guitar) by Lee Abraham, Robin Armstrong (Cosmograf), Simon Godfrey, Paul Cusick and Peter Aves.

For downloads go to:
    https://riversea.bandcamp.com/album/the-tide-2

For CD go to:
    http://www.riversea-band.com/
    Thank you very much. Glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    Great album
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTG8 View Post
    That's very kind of you... thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Atkinson RIVERSEA View Post
    I still do solo acoustic gigs for a living in the Yorkshire and Cumbria areas of England
    Haven't seen you at the Abbey in Newlay for a while. Hopefully catch you there or somewhere else some time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Atkinson RIVERSEA View Post
    He is also doing weekly live streams - 8pm Tuesday's (GMT) - clearly the acoustic gigs which provide Marc with a living have been paused temporarily.

https://www.facebook.com/marcatkinsonmusic

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I have only recently learned of this corner of the neo-prog world inhabited by artists such as Nine Stones Close and Riveresea. How did these fly over my neo radar? Loving Atkinson's voice on the "One Eye on the Sunrise" LP...so I need to explore Riversea, clearly

As I saw Marc participating in the discussion, I'd like to ask him why the first Riversea CD was mastered so loud (in fact one of the loudest CDs in my collection), making it a tiresome listen. I won't come into details about what term "loud" means, you can Google "loudness wars" if you're interested.
    I wonder if anyone can confirm that the FLAC version from Bandcamp is "normal" (i.e. not overloaded when compared to CD version) as I am not inclined to invest in the same recording twice but I definitely believe this album deserves a good remaster. At least the preview sounds almost the same to my ears when compared to physical CD.

P.S. My absolute favorite track, The Song, last minute (amazing ad lib vocal section and outro):

song1.jpg
    (click for larger version)

This is how the sound samples look like when they hit "digital ceiling" and the waveform is "cropped":

song2.jpg
    (click for larger version)

P.P.S. Other notable progressive rock albums asking for a remaster due to the same reason are TFK's "The Flower Power" (especially CD1) and TA's "Bridge Across Forever".
    Last edited by Azol; 04-05-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic