Thread: Sarah Davachi

Sarah Davachi

I saw her perform last night and it was fairly incredible. Here is the blurb from the Lampo website that tells you a little bit about her:

https://lampo.org/archive/sarah-davachi-2018/

So it was a packed house of maybe 250 or so (amazing how this Lampo organization has grown over the years. I've been going to their shows for about 12 years now and they have been able to cultivate their audience to great effect. For this kind of esoteric, avant-electronic music, for an audience like that...pretty amazing!).

So Sarah Davach's thing is drones. She is fond of using minimal instrumentation and getting down to the bare essence of things. Last night she had two other players with her, a violinist and a viola da gamba(ist) which I cant ever remember hearing in such an isolated framework. It sounds like a more "reedy" cello. Davachi herself played a Reed Organ and added subtle electronics via a Mac Book.

It was one long piece, about 45 minutes long and, as I said up above, incredible. Like others (the Necks come to mind) it started off very sparse and minimal with just the two string players doing slow, gentle, barely audible swipes on their respective instruments. At some point, Davachi must have triggered the electronics as their was some new, more synthetic sounding high pitched tones added to the mix. She finally came in with the reed organ adding to the already well established drone making it quite full sounding.

During shows like these, I tend to lose all sense of time so I'm guessing about halfway though the Reed Organ must have diverged somehow from the drone and started to develop some semblance of a serpentine melody. At first I thought it was the Viola Da Gamba but observing his bowing, he wasnt playing a melody, instead firmly locked in building upon the already formidable wall of acoustic sounds that were developing. The melody itself was quite Medeval/early music sounding (not surprised at this after further investigating Davachi's interests in Early Music) and acted as a little bit of a grounding mechanism above the malestrom. The overall effect was fascinating.

The piece ended, as it began with the general dynamic eventually winding down into gently bowed threads of sound...till silence and huge applause.

When I got home I figured I check out iTunes to see if she had anything up there...to my surprise and delight there were about eight items so I downloaded her most recent (Let Night Come On Bells End The Day) which is just her playing electric organ and Mellotron.

yes...Mellotron...

Thus...Darah Davachi is.....Prog

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Sounds pretty hip man - glad you were digging her. You should pop in here a bit more often, no?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Hey Mike! Yeah, I have 'All My Circles Ran' and 'Barons Court' at home in the ol' library and enjoy them both, especially Circles. Very cool that you saw her live!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

new name for me. Sounds really interesting.

Saw she is on bandcamp ( https://sarahdavachi.bandcamp.com/ ) so I will certainly check her stuff out one of these days. Any recommendations where to start?

I'll be checking out her stuff.Heard the name over the last couple of years but hadn't gotten around to listening.That will change.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    new name for me. Sounds really interesting.

Saw she is on bandcamp ( https://sarahdavachi.bandcamp.com/ ) so I will certainly check her stuff out one of these days. Any recommendations where to start?
    She was a new name for me too so my review was more about the live show...I really dont know her catalog at all.

That being said, I got her latest "Let Night Come On Bells End The Day" and really enjoyed my late nite listening session with it. Supposedly it's just electric organ and mellotron but I can swear I hear other things happening too. My experience with this music is, it never grabs me right out of the gate. I usually have to let myself fall into it. In this particular case, it reached it's stride about half way though as i started to pick up subtle patterns and motifs within the overall framework of the drone. (This could have been my imagination but even if it was, I would consider the experience valuable for triggering such thoughts, whether real or imaginary.)

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I've been discovering some of her stuff recently and looking to pick up some CDs. This album is really lovely, sort of like early Oneohtrix or Terry Riley in places:

Sounds interesting, at least the comparison with the Necks has me intrigued. And the description of what she does with the electronics reminds me of David Behrman, whose On the Other Ocean is, to my ears, an unheralded classic of electro-acoustic music.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    David Behrman, whose On the Other Ocean is, to my ears, an unheralded classic of electro-acoustic music.
    Agreed, and Leapday Night is equally wonderful,imo.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide