Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Al Stewart

Al Stewart

Every once in awhile I get on an Al Stewart kick. This guy is much more than the Year of the Cat and Time Passages. His style hasn't changed an awful lot over the years except for being less folky than his early days, but he is by far one of my favorite lyricists. His songs range from story telling to historical to political satire to etc. I've always been amazed at his wit and ability to rhyme phrases that you'd wonder how he came up with. He's a well read person and one of my favorite songwriters. I was listening to Russians and Americans today and digging it as much as ever. One of my favorite albums of his from he later ones is his Down in the Cellar. You'd think an entire album about wine would really wear thin after awhile but it holds my interest from beginning to end.

And this voyage seemed to be haunted
    By a soul, lost and unwanted

So much great music. As you said, lyrics are so literate. Very witty in concert as well. He's touring the entire Year Of The Cat album currently.
    We met him once. Very nice guy. His more recent albums are definitely worth checking out. Even though none of them will ever get close
    to radio play, he continues to write great songs. I'll raise a glass to him tonight. Here's a forgotten gem of an album. Enjoy.
    Last edited by rapidfirerob; 04-21-2018 at 11:01 PM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I saw Al Stewart and Dave Nachmanoff in concert in 2008. Although most of the best concerts I saw were in the '70s, I have to count this one as a highlight of more recent years. I sat in the front row. Great songs, great stories between songs, and the magic of a small venue. I have many Al Stewart albums. Not a bad one in the lot.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Count me in as a fan. I've been to 2 concerts and enjoyed them immensely. Literate songwriter and storyteller. Great tunes and stories. He's one of the very few on my auto-buy list.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

He's one of my favorites as well. I've seen him at least 4 times, including the time he fell off the stage in Kent. First time might have been on the Russians & Americans tour. He's also very pleasant and likeable when you meet him, with a quick wit at the ready. One of music's true good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I saw Al Stewart and Dave Nachmanoff in concert in 2008. Although most of the best concerts I saw were in the '70s, I have to count this one as a highlight of more recent years. I sat in the front row. Great songs, great stories between songs, and the magic of a small venue. I have many Al Stewart albums. Not a bad one in the lot.
    My one and only time seeing him was a few years ago with Dave. Great show in front of about 200 people (maybe less). I would love the chance to see him with a full band, but the acoustic show was really cool.

The song "Almost Lucy" was going through my head like crazy last night. Haunting number. Anyway, I've been a fan of Al Stewart's TriMax-era output for 20 years. All the rubies are recommended listening, but if pressed to pick five super-reds, they'd be:

"Terminal Eyes"
    "Life in Dark Water"
    "Time Passages"
    "On the Border"
    "Bedsitter Images"

Really nice to hear pleasant words for Al. He's been one of my favorite songwriters since Modern Times came out. Not sure why I didn't hear any of him before then but there was a nice advertisement in the Philadelphia Inquire when Modern Times came out and soon after that I heard Carol and took notice of him. I've heard some on here say not so kind words about his demeanor with fans but the one and only time I met him he was very pleasant quite approachable. His early albums have some great material on them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Really nice to hear pleasant words for Al. He's been one of my favorite songwriters since Modern Times came out. Not sure why I didn't hear any of him before then but there was a nice advertisement in the Philadelphia Inquire when Modern Times came out and soon after that I heard Carol and took notice of him. I've heard some on here say not so kind words about his demeanor with fans but the one and only time I met him he was very pleasant quite approachable. His early albums have some great material on them as well.
    When I saw him a couple of years ago, he was out walking around in the lobby and no one knew who he was. I was not even sure myself since I had not seen him live before. We were standing around having a beer and I remember telling my wife "I think that is Al Stewart", but I was not sure until I saw him onstage a bit later. He was behind the merch table after the show and seemed to be very friendly to everyone.

Al is very mercurial. The first time I met him was in the early 90s and he was making a comeback of sorts after being out of the public eye for a few years. He played solo and afterwards a handful of hard core fans and I talked to him for about half an hour. I was the only one who had his then current album, "Famous Last Words", for him to sign, and he seemed quite pleased about that. He was extremely friendly and personable. He even shouted out to me across the bar as I was leaving and called me by name.
    I met him again a few years later when he was starting to get more popular again and he was rude to me.
    Still dig his music though. Maybe he was just having a bad night.
    Last edited by the winter tree; 04-23-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Famous last words and down in the cellar are both very good albums. I know a lot of Al’s albums have become out of print lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Famous Last Words is my favourite but truthfully he's been the most consistently strong songwriter throughout his long and varied career. Even the "pop star" era albums are brilliant.

Trying to think of a song of his, I don't like. Nope. Can't.

Trying to think of a song of his, I don't like. Nope. Can't.[/QUOTE]

"Red Toupee" and "The Elf" ;-)

Al is brilliant and such a charismatic performer. One of my favorite songwriters.
    Nice post.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I'm seeing Al Stewart & Band at the Chicago Winery in June, he's performing the entire "Past, Present & Future" album in it's entirety. One of my favorites from Al!! Looking forward to it. Saw him once or twice (maybe) in the late 80's or early 90's as well, with a band.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    "Red Toupee" and "The Elf" ;-)[/QUOTE]

Love Red Toupee. Different strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    "Red Toupee" and "The Elf" ;-)[/QUOTE]

Corkers.

I even like Hipposong!

Al came around my area a little while ago with a full band playing I think Year of the Cat and I had to pass it up due to work scheduling. I was pissed. You never know when it would be the last time you get the chance to see someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen Al Stewart live.

But:

I did see a show ... My cousin was in the Marin County Shakespeare Ensemble, or something like that, and they did a performance of The Taming of the Shrew set in the '50s (1950s, wiseasses, not 1650s), set mostly around a bowling alley and a diner. Anyway, there was a lot of cool '50s music, and the music director was Al Stewart.

So, near miss? Or maybe second degree of separation?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I'm seeing Al Stewart & Band at the Chicago Winery in June, he's performing the entire "Past, Present & Future" album in it's entirety.
    I love that album, though I'm not much of a fan of anything else I've heard. This was enough to make me check out his tour dates; the good news is that he is coming to my neck of the woods; the bad news is that it'll be a "Year of the Cat" show, not PP&F.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I've seen Al three times, most recently about 6 years ago in an acoustic show. Saw him with band and Peter White also. Was very gracious as was Peter White.

I have a bunch of live bootlegs of his shows and most of his CDs

...and?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

...and if you're interested in any of the shows, I'm happy to share. my email is dblilly4@gmail.com
    Last edited by davis; 05-11-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Saw Al and his touring band, The Empty Pockets Saturday in San Francisco. Just great. I was so happy to see him and with a band this time out.
    He is playing the full Year Of The Cat album still. The merch guy told me he was to play Roads To Moscow, but didn't. There was a request for Terminal
    Eyes instead. He told a story about Robert Fripp, who lived close to him growing up. Robert told Al he needed to learn jazz chords. Al took 10 lessons
    from Fripp. He told him they hurt his fingers and he was a lyricist, in any case. Al said Robert had a recent interview with a magazine and was asked
    if he knew anyone growing up who made it, and Fripp said Al Stewart, though he completely ignored my advice.
    Al also told a story of playing in Florida 30 years ago. He and the band were in the dressing room. A woman walked in and sat, started reading a magazine.
    An hour or so later she said her brother was in a band, but they broke up. Just before going on, Al asked her what band he was in. She said he was in The Beatles.
    At that point, Al said he remembered George Harrison's sister lived in Florida.
    I hope it's not too long before Al returns with a full band again.