Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Record Store Day: April 21, 2018

^and this is why I've stopped going and standing in line for hours for RSD. The bigger stores with the heavier foot traffic will get the most RSD releases in stock, but will undoubtedly have the largest queues/crowds. The smaller shops usually get stiffed with their RSD orders, so they may only get one or two copies in of the most popular releases. One of the more popular stores I just called said he had people camped out in front of his store as early as 2am that morning. That's just ridiculous.

I just called around to some local stores to see if by chance any of them had a copy of the PF Piper mono reissue that is so scarce everywhere. The fourth place I called had one and is holding it for me to pick up after work.

So I was able to get the SW 10", the Duran Duran Budokan live release, the Bowie live boxset AND the PF Piper mono reissue without standing in line anywhere OR paying inflated scalper prices online.

RSD is a great concept in theory, but in practice they really need to revamp it.

Got the mono Piper which sounds excellent and, since I've been after it since the 80's, finally got Celtic Frost's Tragic Seranades EP which, despite being a picture disc, sounds totally BANGING

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Got the mono Piper which sounds excellent and, since I've been after it since the 80's, finally got Celtic Frost's Tragic Seranades EP which, despite being a picture disc, sounds totally BANGING
    What does that Celtic Frost album sound like? I've heard of them but I can't say I've ever given them a real good listen.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    RSD is a great concept in theory, but in practice they really need to revamp it.
    Why, because it's too popular?

What does that Celtic Frost album sound like? I've heard of them but I can't say I've ever given them a real good listen.
    It sounds like being raped by 10.000 buffalos, then thrown to hungry lions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It sounds like being raped by 10.000 buffalos, then thrown to hungry lions.
    Intense! Must pick this up ASAP!

Tragic Serenades is a 12" EP not an album.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Celtic Frost's first three albums plus EPs and mini albums from that time are, to my ears, absolutely indispensable.
    They were very different to all their contemporaries, an utterly unique art-metal band. Also, production-wise these records have dated very well. They really stand head and shoulders above most metal bands of that era IMO.
    How to describe their sound? Tom G Warrior has a primitive but very imaginative approach to riff writing. The music develops pretty radically across the arc of the three albums but every stage is fantastic.
    They took a massive misstep with their fourth album, Cold Lake...sort of their 'Love Beach', and never really recovered at the time although their comeback album, Monotheist, a few years ago was sensational.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 04-23-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Why, because it's too popular?
    No, because there are problems with the event. Smaller indie stores have issues with the the way the event is held in terms of stocking and distribution. Consumers don't like the forced "scarcity" of some of the items and the ensuing inflated scalper prices (I know, I know, the prices are inflated because some people are willing to pay those prices).

https://www.economist.com/blogs/pros...tables-turning

https://thevinylfactory.com/features...record-stores/

https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...ependent-shops

https://reverb.com/news/who-does-rec...really-benefit

https://www.salon.com/2015/04/15/rec...lecting_music/

Celtic Frost's first three albums plus EPs and mini albums from that time are, to my ears, absolutely indispensable.
    They were very different to all their contemporaries, an utterly unique art-metal band. Also, production-wise these records have dated very well. They really stand head and shoulders above most metal bands of that era IMO.
    How to describe their sound? Tom G Warrior has a primitive but very imaginative approach to riff writing. The music develops pretty radically across the arc of the three albums but every stage is fantastic.
    They took a massive misstep with their fourth album, Cold Lake...sort of their 'Love Beach', and never really recovered at the time although their comeback album, Monotheist, a few years ago was sensational.
    Do they sing or are they growlers/screamers?

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Tragic Serenades is a 12" EP not an album.
    Okay, FFS. I think he knew what I meant when I asked what it sounded like, but thanks!

I got the Grateful Dead Fillmore box, Zeit, Wilco, Steve Earle, the annual Sun Records comp, and Dr. Octagon. I got the two Grant Green sets on Ebay for nearly the same as what the stores were charging. I don't get the hate at all. You've got all of the records in existence, minus RSD stock, to choose from any day of the year. Several weeks after RSD, the vast majority of RSD stock is available online for the same price or less as it was going for on RSD. So *not* getting a RSD item on RSD is not really that big a deal, in the grand scheme of things. But if it *is* a big deal, then put in the effort and get up early and get in line. Very simple.

Of course Into The Pandemonium is quite different from the first two, kind of a blend of post-punk and black metal, very unique for the era. No growling either, Tom sounds like a zombie returning by daylight to his tomb, exhausted and desperate.

This is a huge band - Spyros is a great fun and can enlighten us more. I even like Vanity/Nemesis and consider it highly underrated.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 04-23-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Smaller indie stores have issues with the the way the event is held in terms of stocking and distribution. Consumers don't like the forced "scarcity" of some of the items and the ensuing inflated scalper prices.
    Well at the risk of stating the obvious, that's EXACTLY what generates the excitement surrounding RSD. If they weren't "exclusives" every day would be RSD.

Do they sing or are they growlers/screamers?
    If you haven't heard the all-times classic infernal satisfaction "oooouhhhh" you don't know anything about extreme metal.

Almost as spine-chilling as Sarcofago's Wagner Antichrist's growl when virgin Mary tastes his "penetration hammer". Nothing tops them!
    Last edited by spacefreak; 04-24-2018 at 03:05 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Of course Into The Pandemonium is quite different from the first two, kind of a blend of post-punk and black metal, very unique for the era. No growling either, Tom sounds like a zombie returning by daylight to his tomb, exhausted and desperate.
    Back on release I remember here in Norway how it was toted as "Like Venom, only with talent and vision".

Pandemonium is the only one of their albums I've kept, whereas I did keep both of those two Voivod albums I got at the time. These acts, along with a handful of lesser knowns like Agnostic Front, Atheist and hilarious Italian shock/mock-metallers Bulldozer, pretty much infused the idea of extreme avant-metal.

Funny days. That follow-up album to Pandemonium actually sounds about as close to Spinal Tap as any real band I've ever heard. Kinda latex-hair-metal vaguely reminiscent of Wrathchild and the likes. Bizarre.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I remember being horrified at the look/ sound of Cold Lake after following Celtic Frost from Morbid Tales. Still I bought a ticket to the tour thinking it had to be a joke and they would be great. Well, it was ugly from the first song. Fans were hurling lipstick towards the stage and one wiseacre had a sign saying “Frosted Flakes go home”. They never fully recovered.

They took a massive misstep with their fourth album, Cold Lake...sort of their 'Love Beach'.
    laughs....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Pandemonium is the only one of their albums I've kept, whereas I did keep both of those two Voivod albums I got at the time.
    I bought Pandemonium upon release, when I was 13, and, although I did consider them "traitors to the metal", I liked it a lot. On the other hand, the fact that Voivod had a singer with a weird, non-metal, haircut kept me away from them for ages! Of course I understood what I was missing.

But yes, there was some interesting stuff coming from the Centre of Europe those days. Mekong Delta, Coroner, Sieges Even and certainly others that don't come to mind now, made the thrash metal onslaught a much artier affair.

Consumers don't like the forced "scarcity" of some of the items and the ensuing inflated scalper prices
    I have thought about this argument some, and while it is nice to imagine a world where people will go out and buy product steadily I have noticed that items released that are similar to record store day items but not released on record store tend to not sell. admittedly this is my own personal observation and not scientific but I visit my local record store fairly often and notice some things just sit there forever when a similar item released at record store day sells out on the day.

I don't know much about the record business but I have to imagine the "forced scaricity" is extremely beneficial for getting people to actually go buy music.

while I certainly understand the desire to not be rushed to buy something on some level I feel limited editions are really just about as much as a label expects they would sell but by branding them as such they can ensure they sell the lot in a day rather than over 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    I have thought about this argument some, and while it is nice to imagine a world where people will go out and buy product steadily I have noticed that items released that are similar to record store day items but not released on record store tend to not sell. admittedly this is my own personal observation and not scientific but I visit my local record store fairly often and notice some things just sit there forever when a similar item released at record store day sells out on the day.

I don't know much about the record business but I have to imagine the "forced scaricity" is extremely beneficial for getting people to actually go buy music.

while I certainly understand the desire to not be rushed to buy something on some level I feel limited editions are really just about as much as a label expects they would sell but by branding them as such they can ensure they sell the lot in a day rather than over 2 years.
    Yeah I agree--and lots of companies utilize tactics similar to this to boost sales, ala Nintendo. The biggest issue with the scarcity of some items are how people queue for hours to buy up all the "rare" RSD releases for flipping them online for inflated prices. If the event is for "fans" then this flies in the face of that. I get it, the market demand has to be there for people to sell $25 items for $100+ online. I don't know if there is a solution honestly.

I went into a small, local shop yesterday to pick up a copy of the PF Piper Mono reissue (the guy was willing to hold it for me after I called yesterday morning to see if they had any left). I asked him about how he likes RSD, and he said it's good for getting people in the store, but as a small retailer, the ordering process via distributors is really what can hurt them. They have to know their clientele's taste before ordering RSD releases because unlike standard releases, they can't send back unsold quantities or exchange them for stock that will actually move. He particularly mentioned a lot of the gimmicky releases like the picture disks or singles, or even reissues of albums that are pretty common in used bins. They also don't know what items they order will actually arrive in time for the event, let alone the quantities of what they do receive.

In the end, I took it that he liked the event and the business it generates, but he thinks the event could use some work to make it even better. I couldn't agree more.

Yeah I agree--and lots of companies utilize tactics similar to this to boost sales, ala Nintendo. The biggest issue with the scarcity of some items are how people queue for hours to buy up all the "rare" RSD releases for flipping them online for inflated prices. If the event is for "fans" then this flies in the face of that. I get it, the market demand has to be there for people to sell $25 items for $100+ online. I don't know if there is a solution honestly.

I went into a small, local shop yesterday to pick up a copy of the PF Piper Mono reissue (the guy was willing to hold it for me after I called yesterday morning to see if they had any left). I asked him about how he likes RSD, and he said it's good for getting people in the store, but as a small retailer, the ordering process via distributors is really what can hurt them. They have to know their clientele's taste before ordering RSD releases because unlike standard releases, they can't send back unsold quantities or exchange them for stock that will actually move. He particularly mentioned a lot of the gimmicky releases like the picture disks or singles, or even reissues of albums that are pretty common in used bins. They also don't know what items they order will actually arrive in time for the event, let alone the quantities of what they do receive.

In the end, I took it that he liked the event and the business it generates, but he thinks the event could use some work to make it even better. I couldn't agree more.
    a better system of announcing releases early and letting store poll their clientele would be very helpful I think, they could even increase print runs a bit on some items if it seemed the demand was far outstripping the supply.

but I do think if the threat of a item selling out on the day was removed it would kill a lot of sales.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    but I do think if the threat of a item selling out on the day was removed it would kill a lot of sales.
    How would it hurt the sales? By virtue of less scalpers buying them?

The reason the scalpers can do what they do is because they camp out and buy all (or most) of the available copies in a store. If you remove that element then you'd have more copies available in the stores on RSD to be sold to those who actually want said release.

How would it hurt the sales? By virtue of less scalpers buying them?

The reason the scalpers can do what they do is because they camp out and buy all (or most) of the available copies in a store. If you remove that element then you'd have more copies available in the stores on RSD to be sold to those who actually want said release.
    That element probably doesn't even exist. The RSD "contract" with stores includes an agreement to limit one title per person, on that day. I've never been in a store on RSD that didn't honor it. I normally "camp out" (to the extent that getting in line at 3 or 4 am with an Ipod and a newspaper qualifies as camping). I've been between 5th and 25th in line, in the years in which I get up early. I've never encountered anybody buying up multiple copies, or one copy of nearly everything.

The whole flipper thing is greatly exaggerated. And in any event, they provide a valuable service to people who don't live near or otherwise can't get to a participating store on that day. And if buyers were to wait a month or two after RSD to buy the stuff, they'll find that the vast majority of it is priced at or below retail on Ebay/Amazon/Discogs.

Keep Record Store Day the same as it is. The hunt is great fun. And if you miss out, you miss out - such is the nature of the limited edition release.

Understand/recognize the issues some have with RSD, but as a big vinyl person I choose to enjoy it and favor any event that brings dollars to my local record shop. That being said, my 2018 haul (managed to get everything on my list):

Allman Brothers Band - Live at Atlanta Pop Festival 1970.

Elvis - King in the Ring

Whitesnake - 1987 picture disc

Bowie Now

Saxon - Princess of the Night 45