Thread: BB King's Club in NYC closing end of Aprill.

BB King's Club in NYC closing end of Aprill.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...own-041718/amp

I've seen so many great prog, jazz and rock bands there over the past 18 years. They pretty much took over when The Bottom Line closed down. Sony Hall on West 46th street will be taking over as the new room in town.

RIP
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Hope they find another space in the city...

pure greed.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

B.B. King’s Blues Club closing!

I have to admit I don’t really like going to shows at B.B. King’s, but when The Bottom Line closed they took up a lot of the slack for Prog shows. Iridium is going to have to hold the line...

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...own-041718/amp

Some shows I saw there:

Leaves Eyes/Blind Guardian
    Fish
    Nektar/Caravan

Not many others really, but a lot of good bands there I missed, like Saga!

I did see Neal-era SB there on the V tour when I was visiting NYC.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Terrible news - been going for years to see Jon Paris at Lucille's next door - also caught Tommy Emmanuel on the main stage. New York does nothing to preserve places like this. No doubt it will be replaced by some piece of Disney shit.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Terrible news - been going for years to see Jon Paris at Lucille's next door - also caught Tommy Emmanuel on the main stage. New York does nothing to preserve places like this. No doubt it will be replaced by some piece of Disney shit.
    I’d bet it’ll sit empty for a while. There’s no lack of crappy restaurants around there, I can’t really imagine what would work in that space other than another similar venue, but yeah, it’d probably be something that sucks.

Same here..Nektar..Caravan..Nitty Gritty Dirt Band..Jon Scofield..Steve Kimmock...Pancho Sanchez..Popa Chubby..Corky Laing..Dennis Dunaway Band...The Nazz(sans Todd)..Strawberry Fields(Beatles tribute)..Can't remember any more at the moment, don't really have any hard tickets, was always on the guest list, got most of them through a local college radio station, WFUV, as a supporting member...But not Nektar! I was one of their "street team" promoters..Spent the Saturday a week before the show getting places to let me leave posters etc..Good times..Was under Tony Visconti on the guest list!!!

David Byrne is right: "New York is a city of museums but no culture." Gentrification continues unabated, homogenization the corporate order of the day.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

You mean, at The Bottom Line, right?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    You mean, at The Bottom Line, right?
    Oops! Yeah, but that was indeed ambiguous.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I’d bet it’ll sit empty for a while. There’s no lack of crappy restaurants around there, I can’t really imagine what would work in that space other than another similar venue, but yeah, it’d probably be something that sucks.
    It'll almost certainly be something that costs more and isn't as good.

I also caught the Caravan / Nektar show there a few months after seeing them at Nearfest. Saw Nektar a couple more times there and also saw Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, Jon Anderson, Jean-Luc Ponty Band, Todd Rundgren, Keith Emerson Band, Carl Palmer Band, Adrian Belew, Eddie Jobson, Asia and most recently Brand X there among other bands I'll think of later.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Saw both shows that night. (Bottom Line)

Last show I saw at BB Kings was probably Liquid Tension Experiment. Coming up on 10 years now I think. Logistics of getting into the city isn't what it used t be. For better or worse there are more options now.
    Last edited by ytserush; 05-11-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: additional comment