Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring

I know, I know. "Spirit Of Eden" should be the album deserving all the praise, signaling the start of post-rock, being a masterpiece, blah blah. Don't get me wrong, I love that album.

But it seems to overshadow the equally brilliant, though quite different "The Colour Of Spring" of 1986. For me, there's a lot to like on that album. A superb beginning, with 30 seconds of just drums on the macabre "Happiness Is Easy" all the way up to the final "Time It's Time" with the soaring choir. In between we find the hitsingle 'Life's What You Make It' with that excellent guitar-bit. Top-notch production and incredible versatile playing all through the album. And finally two tracks, 'April 4th' and 'Chameleon Day' already seem to warm the crowd for the follow-up-direction.

"The Colour Of Spring" should be IMO considered a masterpiece. It's not as top-heavy as "Spirit Of Eden", which I often more admire than enjoy.

Here's two tracks:

So, what's the opinion about this album on this board?

I like Colour of Spring quite a bit. If the subsequent pair of albums hadn't been such radical game-changers for the band, the album would probably be pretty damned acclaimed across the board.

Great album. Probably my favourite album of the 80's. A masterpiece!

I always assumed that the general consensus was that the Colour of Spring is their best album ? I certainly rate it their masterpiece !

Although I recognise the influence Spirit Of Eden has had over the years I never really got on with that album where as The Colour Of Spring is one of my personal favourite albums.

i totally agree. “the colour of spring” is flawless. perfection.

It's very, very good - but a tad less musically intriguing than the last two and Hollis' '97 solo album. IMHO.

Actually, It's My Life isn't all that bad either. Their drift into more progressive terrain came quite gradually; more like a glide than a drift, I suppose.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I was not that familiar with this band before the post on this board regarding Spirit of Eden. I only knew of the single "It's My Life" which has a very different sound. The Wikipedia entry on this band claims that they didn't tour for Spirit of Eden. I'm not sure the Spirit of Eden material would have worked in a live setting. Has anyone seen them live? How did they go over when they were on the Six of the Best concert? That show would seem to have been early in their career when they had the more new wave sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn_McCool View Post
    Has anyone seen them live?
    A friend of mine saw them in France back in '87 and still keeps talking of it; apparently they were both powerful and perfectionist. But Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock were both considered impossible - or rather inappropriate - for live performances due to the close attention to textural detail and sonic improvisation going on, these assets becoming very integral to the listeners' overall perception and appreciation of the music itself. I don't think Hollis has performed live since '88; additionally, his stage fright was infamous during the 80s.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It IS a great album. But at the end of the day LS and SoE are my choices for favourite Talk Talk albums.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Although I recognise the influence Spirit Of Eden has had over the years I never really got on with that album where as The Colour Of Spring is one of my personal favourite albums.
    My thoughts also ..i think they reached their apex with Colour of Spring !

I was not that familiar with this band before the post on this board regarding Spirit of Eden. I only knew of the single "It's My Life" which has a very different sound. The Wikipedia entry on this band claims that they didn't tour for Spirit of Eden. I'm not sure the Spirit of Eden material would have worked in a live setting. Has anyone seen them live? How did they go over when they were on the Six of the Best concert? That show would seem to have been early in their career when they had the more new wave sound.
    Look up some clips that are up on Youtube from their Live At Montreux dvd, shot while they were touring in support of TCOS. At that point they were really good IMHO.

My favourite too. Great Hammond organ on that album, especially on "Living In Another World" and "Life's What You Make It" is that other 80's hit single without a bass guitar. The video is a favourite too.

All the B-sides from three singles lifted off the album are very good. "Pictures Of Bernadette", "It's Getting Late In The Evening" and "For What It's Worth".

As much as I like Spirit of Eden, this one’s a lot more satisfying overall. SOE has great atmospheres. This one has great tunes.

I agree that It’s My Life is underrated. It’s still synth-pop, but miles ahead in sophistication compared to The Party’s Over.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Somni”-Atila/Reviure

Totally agree with all the above comments.

One of the few albums I bought during the 1980's

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Look up some clips that are up on Youtube from their Live At Montreux dvd, shot while they were touring in support of TCOS. At that point they were really good IMHO.
    Is the concert from the Montreux Jazz Festival? If so, I have that concert on Netflix. How does it rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Great album. Probably my favourite album of the 80's. A masterpiece!
    Ditto

Has anyone seen them live?
    Yes

I saw them in 1982 supporting Genesis at Milton Keynes Bowl

Also in 1986 at Hammersmith Odeon on the Colour of Spring tour. I was 3rd row centre and it's one of my top 3 concerts of all-time

How did they go over when they were on the Six of the Best concert? That show would seem to have been early in their career when they had the more new wave sound.
    They didn't go over well at all with the Genesis crowd. I was just getting into them at that time and was really enjoying their set but they just shouldn't have been on the bill that day. The normally placid and accommodating Genesis fans were extremely hostile to the young Talk Talk boys and they had to cut their set short. I was really disappointed that the crowd reacted as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    A friend of mine saw them in France back in '87 and still keeps talking of it; apparently they were both powerful and perfectionist.
    I would agree with that.

I would also add "mind-blowing" to the list of superlatives

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    My favourite too. Great Hammond organ on that album, especially on "Living In Another World" and "Life's What You Make It" is that other 80's hit single without a bass guitar. The video is a favourite too.
    Organ on this album is played by none other than Steve Winwood, too.

One of my favorite prog albums of the 80's..!

I saw them back around 1983 and they were great, one of our friends met them during the show, as he outside the back stage area smooching on some chick...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Organ on this album is played by none other than Steve Winwood, too.
    Well, not on every song but still. There's also people like Danny Thompson, David Rhodes and Alan Gorrie just to mention a few. I think Rhodes played also on some of the tour (The Montreux DVD has John Turnbull on guitar).

Anybody who knows why Pictures Of Bernadette wasn't released before 1998 - its from 86 and has David Rhodes on guitar and sounds like it could have been on The Colour Of Spring.

BTW Rhodes does some awesome playing here and there - Scott Walker Tilt.

interesting trivia: the guitar solo on “i don’t believe in you” (by robbie mcintosh) is among steve rothery’s all time favourites. a minimalist thing of emotive beauty.