Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Band/artist you’re most proud for having seen live

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Band/artist you’re most proud for having seen live

This is a sort of dumb question someone asked on a FB group recently, but I thought answering it here might seem less pointless and pathetic. Geezer will come along and shame us all by saying Hendrix, but WTF.

A few weeks ago my son Henry said he’d been listening to Lou Reed and John Cale’s “Songs for Drella” a lot, and when I said “Oh, I saw them do that live” he was mightily impressed. So that’s my answer and I’m sticking with it. Of course he’s such a big fan of the Velvets and also Violent Femmes that when I tell him I saw Violent Femmes open for John Cale and we met Cale backstage after, he’s really blown away.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Genesis Trick Of The Tail tour

For historical significance, Frank Sinatra, the Chairman of the Board, and Chuck Berry, the real King (or Godfather) of Rock and Roll immediately spring to mind as being grateful that I saw live (Berry multiple times in intimate small club). McCartney would also be way up there, he was a Beatle dammit.

But I am also very proud of the multiple times I have seen Dylan, Neil Young, just as much as having seen Genesis, and the various incarnations of King Crimson. Would be very hard to keep it to one. And don't even get me started on the Nearfests with many "wow, never thought I...." moments (VDGG, Camel, Anglagard, Metamorfosi, UK etc).
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-17-2018 at 11:17 AM.

I will abstain.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Many contenders, but I will say Frank Zappa.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

I dunno about ‘proudest’, but the shows that impress folks the most seem to be:

Happy The Man (in the 70s)
    Henry Cow
    Hopper / Dean / Tippett / Gallivan
    Fela Kuti
    Nimal
    Yes on the Relayer tour, with Gryphon opening
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Miles Davis (even though he wasn't all that good when I saw him, in 1988)

Hmmm. I live in the Pac Northwest, North America, and we don't get much comparatively. So, most proud, I suppose I'd say...

Thinking Plague (with both Kimara and Bill Pohl!)

Incidentally, this show would elicit random bursts of laughter from me due to sheer amazement. Wish I could go back to 2015, I think it was, and see this again!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I dunno about ‘proudest’, but the shows that impress folks the most seem to be:

Happy The Man (in the 70s)
    Yes, I agree. Those were some of the best shows I have ever seen. High Quality Memories
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Todd Rundgren with Frank Sidebottom opening.
    Yes with Donovan opening.
    Steve Hillage with Trevor Rabin opening.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Last Yes show with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman in 1979, the last date of the Tormato tour.
    Seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan with Jeff Beck on SRV's last tour.

Not possible to single out just one... In chronological order...
    • Queen, Day of the Races tour
    • ELO, Out of the Blue tour
    • Rory Gallgher, Top Priority tour
    • Rush, Hemispheres tour (500 fans and a few thousand puzzled kids at an amusement park)
    • McLaughlin, DiMeola, DeLucia
    • Pat Metheny et. al. 80/81 tour
    • Miles Davis, Man with the Horn tour
    • James Brown, while still going strong.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Seatrain(1972)
    Todd Rundgren-Utopia(1975)
    Tangerine Dream(1977)
    Anthony Braxton Quartet-with Kenny Wheeler,Dave Holland,Barry Altschul(1975)
    Walt Dickerson Trio-with Lisle Atkinson and Andrew Cyrille(1976)
    Hariprasad Chaurasia(2017)
    Debashish Bhattacharya(2016)
    Last edited by walt; 04-17-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Anthony Braxton Quartet-with Kenny Wheeler,Dave Holland,Barry Altschul
    Yes! damnit!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Madison Square Garden, December 17th, 1973 when they brought out a Boys Choir and did Silent Night. It was mesmerizing.

If mogrooves comes here to post The Beatles or any of the other epic 60s/early 70s concerts he's seen, this becomes all academic anyway...

A lot of people are impressed when I say i saw Nirvana in 1989 at a festival in Rotterdam, long before their breakthrough. Truth is that I left after a couple of songs.

I am maybe not proud, but happy to have seen jeff Buckley in 1995. magical show.
    Last edited by thedunno; 04-17-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Pearls Before Swine at the Main Point in Bryn Mawr, Pa, in early 1972
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Probably my single best was an accident (and apologies because I know I've mentioned it before). My 2nd year at Big Ears, Terry Riley performed with a trio at the Knoxville Museum of Art. I had a small gap in the schedule so I got to the venue early. Just a couple of other folks were there too, and Mr. Riley came out to soundcheck. His soundcheck ended up being an extended (20 minutes? Maybe more) of him improvising on a piano. So it was just a dozen or so of us sitting, watching a living legend on piano. It was really intimate and very, very cool.

Beyond that?

Labradford - lucky enough to see them several times in Richmond back in the 90's, and even to talk here and there with Mark Nelson about random electronic music (he worked at Plan 9 and was super patient with awkward geeks such as myself).

Anna Von Hausswolff - had no idea who she was, saw a poster for "experimental organ music" or the like and figured I'd give it a whirl. Very, very glad I did.

Milla Jovavich - she opened for Crash Test Dummies supporting her one album The Divine Comedy, prior to her acting career going stratospheric. Very cool and I was lucky enough to meet her backstage for an autograph and a hug.

Lustmord / Biosphere - Trinity - pretty sure these guys aren't regular live acts in the States, and seeing them together at Unsound, in a church, was remarkable.

Deathprod - Jesus christ.

Outside the Dream Syndicate w/Faust, Tony Conrad Ensemble - Conrad himself couldn't be there due to his illness (he died a week later), but Laurie Anderson stepped up to take his place alongside Faust and Conrad's ensemble. It was powerful trancelike stuff, a thundering pulse that in some ways felt like the band serving notice to the cosmos that Mr. Conrad would be arriving soon (yes, that is a bit absurd and hyperbolic, but it was a surprisingly affecting and moving performance made all the more significant given Conrad's grave health situation).
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

You hugged the Fifth Element?! Before Bruce Willis did? Nice. Had no idea Milla Jovavich had a singing career.

ELP Works Tour.
    Absolutely ridiculous with choir and orchestra.
    Loved every indulgent second of it.
    Prog's Not Dead

Camel at NEARFest 2003. They were one of my absolute favorites at the time and appreciating the effort it took to get them there made it all the more sweet.

As I was a teen in the 80s, I missed all these 70s bands and my first concerts were hair bands like KISS and Night Ranger.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    You hugged the Fifth Element?! Before Bruce Willis did? Nice. Had no idea Milla Jovavich had a singing career.
    She made two Albums in the 90s as Milla. The first one "Divine Comedy" is also really good, somewhat in a Kate Bush style.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    She made two Albums in the 90s as Milla. The first one "Divine Comedy" is also really good, somewhat in a Kate Bush style.
    Yep...there was even a semi-single that got fair airplay back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ_I_aWsaRM

She was quite lovely as a performer (referring to her actual performance, not just that she looked lovely). Didn't go to see her, but was seriously happy I did.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com