Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Druid - Toward The Sun

FEATURED ALBUM: Druid - Toward The Sun

What if Yes influenced others to make similar music? Oh right. Anyone dig this Druid album? I find it quaint.

Review at ProgArchives:
    In 1975, a trio from Berkhamstead won the Melody Maker folk/rock contest at the London Palladium, and then caused a furore when they refused to go on the revolving stage at the end! Their prize was a recording contract with EMI. They also came to the attention of (whispering) Bob Harris, who championed them and helped with production. This band was Druid, comprising guitarist/singer Dane, bassist Neil Brewer and drummer Cedric Sharpley.

Under Harris' guidance, they decided to broaden their sound and advertised for a keyboards player, eventually recruiting Andy McCrorie-Shand from the Royal College of Music.

Their debut album, Towards the Sun, is often maligned as a rip off of Yes. In fact nothing could be further from the truth as the band, whilst they liked and admired Yes, at no time set out to copy them. Indeed, analysis of their music shows only fleeting similarities, mainly singer Dane's high pitched voice which superficially resembles Jon Anderson, Neil Brewer's bass tone on his Rickenbacker and some slightly ethereal lyrics, especially on Shangri La. Dane often vocalises without words, sometimes reaching extremely high notes. They took the basic Yes style and adapted it and evolved it to produce something distinctly different and worthy.

They are generally slower, much more melodic and less complex than Yes, although they can certainly play to a very high standard. Dane's guitar work is clean and his solos beautifully constructed. Andy McCrorie-Shand has some masterful keyboard solos and some delicious, dreamy mellotron, whilst the rhythm section of Brewer and Cedric Sharpely is tight and dynamic. Some of the vocal harmonies are delightful.

The album has a recurring motif of Dreams. The tracks are uniformly excellent and include an instrumental (Theme) with a glorious interplay between an (uncredited) sax and the keyboards. The first side tends to be more dynamic whilst the second is more soporific. The climax and highlight is Shangri La, one of the great prog tracks.

I took this album out after a long absence to defend Druid against the Yes-clone slur, since when I have totally fallen back in love with it. It's not ground breaking but it is wonderful, melodic and beautifully composed and constructed prog with a distinct folk feel. I actually prefer it to anything Yes have done. It's great music to relax to whilst in no way being wallpaper music; there's lots of stimulation if you look for it.

(Druid cut one more album (Fluid Druid) and wrote another (Newfoundland) which was never released. Punk came along and Druid quietly disbanded; Andy McCrorie-Shand had a successful career as a TV composer and ended up as musical director for The Teletubbies (I joke not). He now runs a company which teaches children music. Neil Brewer is a guitar teacher with him. Cedric Sharpely joined Gary Numan's Tubeway Army and enjoyed chart success. Dane disappeared without trace; such a talented musician was a huge loss.)

I have no hesitation in giving this 5*; I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with an open mind and good taste. - Tony Fisher

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I really like it. Bought both their albums in one package.

Their debut album, Towards the Sun, is often maligned as a rip off of Yes. In fact nothing could be further from the truth as the band, whilst they liked and admired Yes, at no time set out to copy them.
    Heh. Who could miss the direct lyrical and musical nicks from "The Remembering" on the title track?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Meant to say that Druid are mentioned in attached article

"Quaint" about sums it up pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    What if Yes influenced others to make similar music? Oh right. Anyone dig this Druid album? I find it quaint.
    “Quaint” is a good word for this. Low on the scale of originality, but with more musical depth (in the compositions and arrangements) than, say, Starcastle. I suppose you could thank Andrew McCrorie-Shand for that; there’s obviously some conservatory training at work here. It turned up a little more on the follow-up, Fluid Druid; what with the choir, pipe organ and woodwind arrangements. A shame the songwriting standards on that one weren’t up to the quality of this one (at least not consistently, I am a big fan of some of the songs on that album, like “Painters Clouds” or “Razor Truth,” which are better than anything off the first). But Dane’s vocals aren’t quite as strident or grating on that one. I do enjoy both albums and am glad to own the 2 CD package of both their albums (used to own the old Edison edition of just the first, but dumped it once I had the chance to get the double).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I had the 2/1 of this and ditched it. Listening again to the samples, the music is OK, but the vocals, and lyrics, just absolutely kill it for me. It's hard to take the balls out of Yes, but Druid does it... to their detriment, if you ask me. Truly a black mark on Progdom, imo. But I'm sure there are those who dig it. Hats off to you, but this is where I get off the bus.

Bill

I found it dull. I prefer the first two Starcastle albums. And I prefer the Moth Vellum album over any of those.

Bring on the Yes clones!!! I'm serious. I love this stuff!!!
    The Prog Corner

I like the album. Yes, () they do take actual lyrics from Tales, and Dane sounds kinda like Jon, and they clearly love Yes (in my opinion they sound more like Yes than Starcastle does), but once the opening track settles down, a couple minutes into it, it gets really beautiful. Nothing brilliant or earth-shattering. My favorite Yes influenced album is actually 'If' by Glass Hammer. The f/up, 'Fluid Druid' doesn't sound much like Yes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I found it dull. I prefer the first two Starcastle albums. And I prefer the Moth Vellum album over any of those.
    When I revisited, this album reminded me quite a bit of Moth Vellum. Though I prefer MV's execution to Druid.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    The f/up, 'Fluid Druid' doesn't sound much like Yes to me.
    Not on the whole, but to my ears, “Razor Truth” sure does. In general, Druid seems like a stepping stone to England. England cast a wider net of influences and were essentially a step up on all fronts, but they were still solidly Anglo sympho-prog in orientation.

When I revisited, this album reminded me quite a bit of Moth Vellum. Though I prefer MV's execution to Druid.
    MV had a modernistic take on the Yes sound, with mucho ambient electronics. It’s what made them interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    In general, Druid seems like a stepping stone to England. England cast a wider net of influences and were essentially a step up on all fronts, but they were still solidly Anglo sympho-prog in orientation.
    A music friend suggested Druid to me, because he knew how much I loved England's Garden Shed. I bought it, but it never did much for me. Nice, but not with the impact England had (and still has) on me.

Though I prefer MV's execution to Druid.
    That's a bit harsh for a rock band.

Druid were a good live band.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    A music friend suggested Druid to me, because he knew how much I loved England's Garden Shed. I bought it, but it never did much for me. Nice, but not with the impact England had (and still has) on me.
    Like I said, Garden Shed was a step up on all fronts. It’s like the band took everything that was good about 70s Brit-Prog and distilled it, concentrating it on one album like a grand “last hurrah” for the genre.

Druid, on the other hand, were straight-up Yes clones. Not quite as shameless as Starcastle (i.e.: no out-and-out stolen riffs, no attempts at Jon’s spacey lyric-writing style), but you couldn’t really say they had a diverse set of influences. Before Dane even opens his mouth to sing, it’s obvious who inspired them.

I like it. Odd though for a prog album that the weakest tracks are the two longest ones.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I like it. Odd though for a prog album that the weakest tracks are the two longest ones.
    Yup, the second track featured here is almost laughably bad , IMHO

But then again, I've never liked Druid or Starcastle.

the best Yes clone is the Belgian band called Banzaï, IMHO
    Last edited by Trane; 04-17-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I need to revisit that Moth Vellum record. It never really clicked for me - and you'd think that it would be right up my alley...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Bring on the Yes clones!!! I'm serious. I love this stuff!!!
    I'm guilty of this as well. I love the Yes clones.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I need to revisit that Moth Vellum record. It never really clicked for me - and you'd think that it would be right up my alley...
    Me neither. I just did revisit Moth Vellum. Same feeling I had 10 years ago. Very competent, interesting even, but not a keeper.

And, to keep the thread on track, neither is Druid. Note that I love Starcastle and England.

Yes clones, prefer them to Starcastle but England were better i.m.o.

Banzai sound more Genesis / Camel to me than Yes but they also have a strong influence of the latter, especially on their "Try" track.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have both Druid albums and they're very good!...

For my musicall taste I prefer Stracastle and England - the compositions and the quality of playing, recording and sound designing are better than this components in Druid albums in my opinion. In another point of view about the influences I find, a little bit ridiculous to be almost 100 % clone of some great bands. Bands like The Flower Kings or Echolyn are absolutely great example for me how to be creative and unique stepping on yours influences.