Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 Racing

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I did not know that. I would think they would be squeezed out a lot more on ESPN.
    Actually ESPN just carries the Sky broadcasts which are very good with David Croft, Martin Brundle, Damon Hill, et al. The coverage for most races includes all 3 practice sessions, quali, and the race and often with no or few commercials. The sessions are shown on the various ESPN channels. As much as I loved the NBCSN coverage with David Hobbs and Steve Matchett, the Sky coverage has much higher information density and I think has been a definite step up.

There's a series on Amazon (I think) called Formula 1 Drive to Survive which is quite good.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fully agree.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    There's a series on Amazon (I think) called Formula 1 Drive to Survive which is quite good.
    Yes, this documentary is phenomenal! The production of this thing is so outstanding, and I have learned a lot about the various drivers and teams and their highs and lows. Worth watching for sure. It's on NF btw, not Amazon.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quick question for those of you into F1 racing. I have been watching the excellent documentary on Netflix and have a question about qualifying. How do they do it? It appears that it is not a single car on a track like most U.S. racing is done and there are multiple cars on the track. Do they select the laps they want to have timed or do they just let a group of cars out and however fast they go that is their qualifying run? I have occasionally seen that system used in Sprint Car racing, but the documentary never really explains how qualifying works in F-1 even though they focus on it quite a bit.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Qualifying is 3 timed sessions of I think 10 or 12 minutes each. Teams can send their cars whenever during these periods and they go for best lap time. After each session the slowest cars are eliminated and are slotted into the starting grid by lap time. The last 10 fastest cars determine pole and the final grid during the 3rd session.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

^Yes!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Qualifying is 3 timed sessions of I think 10 or 12 minutes each. Teams can send their cars whenever during these periods and they go for best lap time. After each session the slowest cars are eliminated and are slotted into the starting grid by lap time. The last 10 fastest cars determine pole and the final grid during the 3rd session.
    Cool, thanks for the information!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Cracking tactical drive by Hamilton and Mercedes today, lost 20 seconds in a pit stop to put on softer tires then caught and passed Verstappen with 3 laps to go, been some great races recently
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Mercedes is clearly out classing the others...not that Lewis isn't an amazing driver because he is, but when it comes to sheer power on a fairly open course they are on top. I'm seeing this sport as one where the equipment is not an equal playing field. Still great though, and Hockenheim was a killer race!