Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 Racing

Something I ran across on Facebook:

On June 4, 1967, the most successful engine in Formula One racing won
    on its debut in the back of Jim Clark's Lotus 49 at the Dutch Grand Prix.

The V8 Ford Cosworth DFV pioneered four valve per cylinder technology
    and continued to be used in some shape or form right up until the 1985
    season. It powered 12 drivers' championship victories and 10
    constructors' as well as taking two Le Mans 24 Hours victories and
    10 Indy 500 wins.

On its debut at an overcast Zandvoort, Clark started the grid from the
    third row after problems in qualifying. However, when his team-mate
    Graham Hill retired from the race, Clark swept through the field and
    won comfortably by 25 seconds from Jack Brabham. It was a fantastic
    result for Cosworth and the start of a new era in Formula One.

God, what a beautiful car.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Pirelli are going to have some questions to answer.

What a mistake by Hamilton
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 06-06-2021 at 10:20 AM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Now that is F1 racing!!!

It had a little bit of everything, and Checo won, his merit is keep Hamilton at bay all the time. He asked for 5 races to adapt completely to the new (for him) car and in the sixth he won!!

YEEEES (are we in a prog rock forum). It was fun!!

I think they should have a format like that. Six cars five laps.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Well they were talking about that as a format for qualifying, mini races, could be fun.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Great race but, hell, what an incredible bummer for Max and Red Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised by the failures. Very unusual.

IKR?
    Asked to explain what happened Hamilton said: "I'm not entirely sure, but I hit some sort of switch that caused only the front brakes to work.

"There's a button we have to help keep the front brakes up [to temperature] and, as Perez pulled over, I reacted and accidentally latched on the switch. It just locked up and I went straight on"

Apparently, that button changes the brake bias to a forward setting. The brakes on his rears didn't even engage.

Personally, I loved it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Great photo

hamilton.jpg

This way lads!
    Ian

We were away this weekend and I avoided FB, news feeds, and this thread Finally watched the FPs, qualification, and race last night.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

I bet Pirelli says it was debris on the track. Two back-left blowouts at 200mph on (basically) the same part of the track is a serious coincidence!

Quote Originally Posted by Rulo View Post
    Now that is F1 racing!!!

It had a little bit of everything, and Checo won, his merit is keep Hamilton at bay all the time. He asked for 5 races to adapt completely to the new (for him) car and in the sixth he won!!

YEEEES (are we in a prog rock forum). It was fun!!
    I'm a Hamilton fan, but I have no problem with the way the race turned out!

I was very neutral about Perez for his first few years in the sport, but he really upped his game in the last 2 years and was thrilled when he got the Red Bull drive - and he certainly deserved yesterday's win.

Strictly speaking it should have gone to Verstappen, but I'm glad Perez has started to more-or-less match Verstappen's pace.

Congratulations, Rulo - Mexico City is probably celebrating?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I think they should have a format like that. Six cars five laps.
    There will be 3 races this year with the reverse-grid sprint race as a points-winning format that will also determine the grid layout. I'm looking forward to that!

BTW - Bottas has no excuse for his piss-poor performance, IMO.

I've said it before - when he finds himself in mid-pack for whatever reason, he has no capability of working his way back to the front - as we've seen Hamilton do several times.
    Regards,

Duncan

And BTW - Kudos to Vettel.

I've been very critical of him for some time, but more performances like that could turn my opinion...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    We were away this weekend and I avoided FB, news feeds, and this thread Finally watched the FPs, qualification, and race last night.
    I did the same and it was hard to avoid the result, ESPN crawlers, FB feed, news on TV.... PE. And I was successful except seeing that it was a wacky race.

There will be 3 races this year with the reverse-grid sprint race as a points-winning format that will also determine the grid layout. I'm looking forward to that!
    I hadn't heard about that (why didn't you post about it, Duncan?) - hell, I even forgot about it - and looked it up. From Formula1.com's website:

Friday
    • 60-minute First Practice in the morning with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely
    • Normal Qualifying format in the afternoon with five soft tyre sets available only

Saturday
    • 60-minute Second Free Practice in the morning with one set of tyres for teams to choose freely
    • 100km Sprint Qualifying in the afternoon with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely

Sunday
    • Full distance Grand Prix with two remaining sets of tyres

From what I've read, so far, the idea of a reverse grid was abandoned, according to Stefano Domenicali, as reported on Feb 5. Had they implemented it, the reverse grid for the sprint race would have been determined by driver points. Apparently, no one, especially the drivers, were onboard for this idea. Of course. Dicks.

The 100k sprint race will take about 25-30 minutes and is designed to require no pit stops. The top three finishers of the sprint race will receive points: 3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd.

With some possible exceptions, I can't see how this will be an improvement over regular qualifying. Other than having a mini race, that is.

One exception being that there won't be three free practice sessions before qualifying, so there's the possibility that some mid pack drivers or teams may qualify at the front, for a change.

Also, all cars will be on soft tires during qualifying so no one will have an advantage for the race since there will be no pit stops.

The big thing, I see, is that teams will only have two sets of tires for the race. That then begs the following questions: Will the races with sprint qualifying force one-stop strategies? What if someone has a tire issue after their stop? Are they then out of the race?

The other issue I see is the FP on Saturday morning. Will cars be in parc fermé for this? I assume so but I don't know for sure.

I think the whole point of this is that everyone will more than likely be on the same tire compound, running hard and not in tire saving mode.

I really liked the idea of a reverse grid for a sprint race to determine the grid for Sunday's race. I will say that the idea of sprint qualifying harkens back to the days when qualifying was the "one-hour shootout". The big difference, of course, is that the drivers will now be actually competing instead of just sitting in the garage waiting for perfect track conditions.

Anyway, the first sprint race is at Silverstone. The other two, unconfirmed sprint races are at Monza and Brazil. The distances are all ~100km but the number of laps are 17, 18, and 24, respectively.

As always, it remains to be seen how well this works. And, of course, it may work really well at one track and suck at another.

And BTW - Kudos to Vettel.
    I've been very critical of him for some time, but more performances like that could turn my opinion...
    Ditto and ditto. I couldn't believe at the time, but I actually found myself rooting for him. Whaaaat?
    Last edited by Hal...; 06-09-2021 at 11:43 AM.

[QUOTE=Duncan Glenday;1048970]

Congratulations, Rulo - Mexico City is probably celebrating?

Indeed Checo anf F1 is getting bigger and more popular over here, hopefully he will be able to stay on top in terms of results and it will be a really crazy Mexico City GP at the end of October ...... and if he is able win that one!!! I dont want to think about it right now.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I can not support putting Mazepin on the pole in any context, so I'm glad any sort of reverse field isn't happening. The tire rule also sounds stupid. Idk...I'm guess I'm just a traditionalist...give me normal qualifying and I'm happy.

That said there are alternatives I can get behind (like the group quali or what indycar did last year at double headers), but it's hard for me to get excited at gimmicks like a spirit race.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I'm guess I'm just a traditionalist...give me normal qualifying and I'm happy.
    Do you know how many different qualifying formats they've had in F1 over the years? In the very early days of GP racing, the grid was set by drawing lots. Is that what you mean by traditionalist? Or do you mean starting with the beginning of the series when there were two sessions in which to set times: one on Friday and one on Saturday? Starting in 1997, they've had seven different formats.

Changing the rules has been a constant in F1. And that includes qualifying. One year, the new qualifying format was so fucked up they abandoned it after something like five or six races. I don't mind rules changes as long as it keeps the competition high and they can recognize if something's not working and change the rules even during a season.

That said there are alternatives I can get behind... like what Indycar did last year at double headers...
    Which was?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Sorry, I didn't think I needed to clarify. When I said traditionalist, i meant traditional in terms of qualifying, not what F1 did in the past (which I really don't care about...and that's for any sport). Just let them all run a lap or two, whoever goes fastest gets pole position. This group stage stuff is fine as well and perhaps a fairer system overall.

As for indycar...they ran two laps of quali...the speed of your first lap determined where you would start race 1, the speed of your second lap determined where you would start race 2.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I just realized the Canadian GP in Montreal is this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I just realized the Canadian GP in Montreal is this weekend.

Not F1. Is that some other format..?
    Regards,

Duncan

Nope. I had an older schedule before Canada was cancelled. Bummer. Never mind.

LOL
    Regards,

Duncan

This weekend on 20 June is Round 7, the French Grand Prix, at Circuit Paul Ricard (yes, I double-checked with both Wikipedia and Formula1.com).

Weekend schedule (all times EDT):

18 Jun - Practice 1 - 05:30 - 06:30
    18 Jun - Practice 2 - 09:00 - 10:00
    19 Jun - Practice 3 - 06:00 - 07:00
    19 Jun - Qualifying - 09:00 - 10:00. Coverage begins 8:55 on ESPN2
    20 Jun - Race - 09:00 - 11:00. Coverage begins 8:55 on ESPN (pre-race show begins at 7:30)

You're welcome.

...max-verstappen-unhappy-pirelli-blowout-explanation
    I agree with Verstappen. The 'explanation" was ridiculously vague.

...Lewis Hamilton doubts Pirelli are to blame for Baku tire failures
    There are some interesting articles about how teams have played the gray areas of Pirelli's directives, which Hamilton has pointed out in the past. He may be right...

In fact, new rules have been announced regarding tire management, starting immediately.
    Regards,

Duncan

...(yes, I double-checked with both Wikipedia and Formula1.com)...
    Regards,

Duncan

Thoughts on the weekend? Is Mercedes losing their strategic edge? Sad seeing Hamilton on the podium surrounded by Red Bull celebrants.