Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627

Thread: F1 Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    ^ It’s not just in America, there’s a whole new generation watching that series, and for the last race I found my 21 year old step-daughter with eyes glued to the screen next to me. She has never shown any interest before this season, but is totally hooked now.
    And is that because of the Netflix show or is it just because F1 has traditionally been the second most popular spectator sport in the world (outside of the US)? Bear in mind, up until recently, soccer and F1 have never been very popular at all in the US. American football, basketball, and baseball have always ruled.

I suspect that with the new car design, enabling close racing, F1 will not only make new fans but keep them.

As it stands now, we have a commercial free rebroadcast of Sky's coverage. My fear, now, is that with the increase in viewership, networks will begin fighting for the rights and someone will fuck it up and start adding commercials during the race.

I hate American television.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I listen to On Point with Meghna Chakrabarti on the radio nearly everyday. Today was this topic, which I found pretty interesting:

The algorithms behind America's growing infatuation with Formula One racing (<-- that's a link to the mp3. Left click to listen in your browser or right click and then click "save link as" to download). Intensity. Drama. Speed. Americans are falling in love with Formula One racing. However, is the new motor sports fandom real, or driven by a Netflix algorithm?

The reference to Netflix is actually to the show Formula 1: Drive to Survive. According to Meghna, F1 viewership in the US is up 50% (I think that's what she said), driven by the Netflix show.
    My wife has a nephew who lives in Texas with his wife and two kids. We were down visiting them about a month ago. Much to my surprise, they have turned into big F-1 fans and either watch or record every race. I have known these people for years and they have never even shown a passive interest for any kind of auto racing, much less Formula One. Their interest has all come about because of “Drive To Survive.” They started watching the show, which led to them getting into the racing itself, and now they are hooked.

I think the show has led people to the sport. I pay a lot more attention to F-1 these days than I did before the show came out. I have been a Sprint Car / Indy Car / NASCAR fan for years, but never much into F-1, before the show came out.
    I have a friend who is going to the Miami race. He has been into Indy Car for years, but this is the first time that I am aware of him attending an F-1 event.

And is that because of the Netflix show or is it just because F1 has traditionally been the second most popular spectator sport in the world (outside of the US)? Bear in mind, up until recently, soccer and F1 have never been very popular at all in the US. American football, basketball, and baseball have always ruled.

I suspect that with the new car design, enabling close racing, F1 will not only make new fans but keep them.

As it stands now, we have a commercial free rebroadcast of Sky's coverage. My fear, now, is that with the increase in viewership, networks will begin fighting for the rights and someone will fuck it up and start adding commercials during the race.

It is 100% because of the Drive To Survive show, they are all watching it and chatting about it.

It is 100% because of the Drive To Survive show, they are all watching it and chatting about it.
    I get why Drive to Survive is popular; they talk about it in that podcast I mentioned: aside from the drama and spectacle, it's mainly due to Bernie Ecclestone no longer being in control since Liberty Media bought Formula One Group, the marketing company behind F1, and giving behind the scenes access to drivers and team principals, which hadn't happened before

What I found confusing is that it's turned a "whole new generation" onto F1, because I would think that Netflix show would be mostly irrelevant outside the US. But then I ran across this graph on Statista:

As you can see, there was a downward trend in viewership for ten years. That blows my mind because, as I said before, F1 has been the second most popular spectator sport in the world for a long time.

I wonder if that drop came about due to the dominance of Mercedes/Hamilton because I believe there was a similar drop during the era of Ferrari/Schumacher dominance.

Anyway, the increase in popularity can't be solely due to Drive to Survive because the first season streamed in 2019 and there was an uptick in viewership in 2018.
    Last edited by Hal...; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:46 AM.

Here's something trivial. Name the driver associated with the nickname (answers below).

Some of these are easy; some not so much. Some I included for historical reasons and some for humorous reasons. One driver is better known by a different nickname.

Some were easy to figure out, some were impossible, and some I guessed correctly. If you get over 20 right, you did better than me.

Andrea de Crasheris
    The Aviator
    Billion Dollar Man
    Black Jack
    Britney
    Checo
    Crashtor Maldonado
    El Maestro
    Emmo
    The Finger
    The Flying Finn
    The Honey Badger
    Hunt the Shunt
    The Iceman
    Il Grande John
    Il Leone
    Irv the Swerve
    JB
    Johnny Carwash
    Jos the Boss
    Look How Bad You Are
    Mad Max
    Mazespin
    Mr. Monaco
    Nino
    The Professor
    Pupo
    Quick Nick
    The Rat
    The Red Baron
    Silvastone
    Super Mario
    The Super Swede
    Swearhard Berger
    Teflonso

Andrea de Cesaris
    Gilles Villeneuve
    Lewis Hamilton
    Jack Brabham
    Nico Rosberg
    Sergio Pérez
    Pastor Maldonado
    Juan Manuel Fango
    Emerson Fittipaldi
    Sebastian Vettel
    Mika Häkkinen
    Daniel Ricciardo
    James Hunt
    Kimi Räikkönen
    John Surtees
    Nigel Mansell
    Eddie Irvine
    Jenson Button
    Giovanni Lavaggi
    Jos Verstappen
    Luca Badoer
    Max Verstappen
    Nikita Mazepin
    Graham Hill
    Giuseppe Farina
    Alain Prost
    Roberto Moreno
    Nick Heidfeld
    Niki Lauda
    Michael Schumacher
    Ayrton Senna
    Mario Andretti
    Ronnie Peterson
    Gerhard Berger
    Fernando Alonso

And that is why I swear by the F1 App. Commercial free, multiple live view options, recaps, editorials, and mobile - i can watch anywhere anytime without recording. Annual subscription is $70 which comes to just over $3 per race.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    And that is why I swear by the F1 App. Commercial free, multiple live view options, recaps, editorials, and mobile - i can watch anywhere anytime without recording. Annual subscription is $70 which comes to just over $3 per race.
    We are lucky with the Sky coverage, they really upped the ante and their race weekend experience is second to none. With my Sky subscription I can get access on my phone and iPad too, so it’s with me wherever I may be. However frustratingly it doesn’t work when travelling overseas, although I guess that could be got around with a VPN connection.

I may look into the F1 app subscription too for such eventualities. I do have the basic app on my phone, and wasn’t really aware of a subscription option.

Here's something trivial. Name the driver associated with the nickname (answers below).

Some of these are easy; some not so much. Some I included for historical reasons and some for humorous reasons.
    That was fun, I don’t think I matched your 20 though, but was in the mid teens!

We are lucky with the Sky coverage, they really upped the ante and their race weekend experience is second to none. With my Sky subscription I can get access on my phone and iPad too, so it’s with me wherever I may be. However frustratingly it doesn’t work when travelling overseas, although I guess that could be got around with a VPN connection.

I may look into the F1 app subscription too for such eventualities. I do have the basic app on my phone, and wasn’t really aware of a subscription option.
    Yep, a decent VPN connection will allow your system to fake being in the country of your choice. But Sky will know how to detect the cheaper VPNs, so be sure to subscribe to a quality service.
    Regards,

Duncan

That was fun, I don’t think I matched your 20 though, but was in the mid teens!
    The ones I already knew were Andrea de Crasheris, Black Jack (from a documentary), Checo, Emmo (from IndyCar), The Flying Finn, The Iceman, Il Leone (given to him by the Tifosi), JB (Simon Lazenby calls him that on Sky), Johnny Carwash (via Dave Letterman), Mad Max, The Professor (of course!), and Super Mario. The rest I figured out and some of those were very easy (e.g. Crashtor Maldonado, Swearhard Berger). Some I had to think about (Billion Dollar Man, El Maestro, etc). The Honey Badger was one I had heard but couldn't quite place but guessed Danny Ric.

I don't think I had ever heard The Red Baron for Schumacher. If I had, I'd forgotten. That's a good one, tho.

I think the funniest ones are Britney and Look How Bad You Are.