Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 576

Thread: F1 Racing

  1. #551
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    256
    I've heard there is a Senna doc as well that I am going to look for.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  2. #552
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I just watched yesterday. I thought it was well done and clearly the filmmakers had full support of the family and parts of the F1 family. The section about his childhood and family were super insightful, and quaint in a way. As well his entry into F1 and the resulting "splash". Not having been a fan back then, my impression from the film was that he could be reckless in his pursuit of perfection and victory, and exhibited signs of narcissism, like never admitting fault or having made a mistake. Short summary from a newbie is that the movie was a good look at Schumacher the driver and concurrently a decent view of F1 during his active years, but very little about his return. I give it 3 of 5 sets of Soft tyres.
    Yep - he didn't have a huge fanbase because of that. (His strongest support was from the Tifosi, who wanted him to win because he drove a Ferrari.) Yet as peoples' memories fade, he's canonized.

    The same will happen with Hamilton, IMO.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  3. #553
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I've heard there is a Senna doc as well that I am going to look for.
    The movie is simply called "Senna". It was (once) on Netflix.

    The movie "Rush", about the Hunt Lauda scrap, is also worth watching (and VERY well made).
    Regards,

    Duncan

  4. #554
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Yep - he didn't have a huge fanbase because of that. (His strongest support was from the Tifosi, who wanted him to win because he drove a Ferrari.) Yet as peoples' memories fade, he's canonized.
    Remember when he parked his car in the middle of the track in one of the turns so Alonso couldn't get pole?

    I skipped 3 or 4 seasons when he got dominant w/Ferrari. Seeing him win over and over was just so boring.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

  5. #555
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    The movie is simply called "Senna". It was (once) on Netflix.

    The movie "Rush", about the Hunt Lauda scrap, is also worth watching (and VERY well made).
    I have the both the Senna documentary and Rush in my collection, the latter is a brilliant movie, worth watching more than once, the main protagonists are superbly portrayed. I’m not 100% sold on the schmaltzy post script, but the story of that season is fantastic.

  6. #556
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I have the both the Senna documentary and Rush in my collection, the latter is a brilliant movie, worth watching more than once, the main protagonists are superbly portrayed. I’m not 100% sold on the schmaltzy post script, but the story of that season is fantastic.
    What was particularly impressive was that they retrieved the actual cars that competed in those races (mostly, from collectors who'd bought them) - and used them in the race footage.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  7. #557
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,444
    This just popped up on my feeds:

    10 MUST SEE MOTOR RACING DOCUMENTARIES

    https://drivetribe.com/p/10-must-see...TYyDFo9l83refw

    (I didn't know there was a Williams documentary.)
    Regards,

    Duncan

  8. #558
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    What was particularly impressive was that they retrieved the actual cars that competed in those races (mostly, from collectors who'd bought them) - and used them in the race footage.
    Now that is a fact I didn’t know, very cool indeed!

  9. #559
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    (I didn't know there was a Williams documentary.)
    Post #6503
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

  10. #560
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,831
    Tough luck on Norris, his team should have insisted he came in for tires. Hamilton's tactics kinda fell to him given what everyone else did. Superb drive by Verstappen.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  11. #561
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,406
    Yeah, I agree. Not sure why his engineer deferred to him.

    Verstappen had a good drive but also bit of luck on his side, too: he pitted on the right lap.

    What I don't understand is why Red Bull didn't pit Perez sooner. He was in 3rd and tumbled down the leader board. I couldn't figure out what the hell happened so I went back and rewatched the last 10 laps or so and watched only the leader board. Bottas pitted first, I think, and ended up in 5th. Jesus, what a lucky finish for a guy who couldn't seem to do anything in a far superior car (altho, it's possible he just doesn't give a shit anymore ). Lewis & Max pitted on the same lap. I think. (Sainz might have pitted that lap, too, but I didn't pay attention to him so I'm not sure). And since Max was as far back as he was, the timing of the rain probably(?) forced him to tip toe to the pits, which is why he finished 53 seconds behind Lewis. But it appeared he pitted before just about everyone else. So why didn't they pit Perez then, too?

    What was really interesting was watching Perez & Alonso switch places a few times. I would have loved to see what was going on there. One minute, Perez was in 3rd and the next minute, Alonso was. And then Perez was ahead. And then Alonso.

    As badly as I felt for Lando, I felt just as badly for George Russell. It's too bad we couldn't have had a wet race. If we had, I'm sure George would have finished much higher than 10th.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

  12. #562
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    256
    There was so much action for the broadcast to follow and show that they missed a few, like most of the Perez/Alonzo overtakes, which has Hal pointed out would've been great to watch. I felt super bad for Lando and felt that had they pitted for Inter's, Hamilton and Mercedes would've followed and the last few laps would have been a great race between the two.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  13. #563
    That was hugely exciting, but terribly unlucky for Lando. I can understand why he made the call to stay out, but it’s a huge lesson to learn. Lewis wanted to stay out until overruled, and it shows the value of experience. It was also fortunate for Max, he was becalmed in seventh before the rain, he could not have wished for a better result.

    I recall years ago that Lewis was pretty masterful in the rain, but these days as soon as there is some precipitation the tyres seem like they are driving on glass, so has there been a change?

  14. #564
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,444
    <Discussion>
    Hamilton was right.
    His team was wrong.
    That is all.
    </Discussion>
    Regards,

    Duncan

  15. #565
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,831
    Correct, they should have left him out there. Mercedes looked strong.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  16. #566
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    <Discussion>
    Hamilton was right.
    His team was wrong.
    That is all.
    </Discussion>
    Actually we'll never know. It could have been that he lost more positions trying to push those tires that had gone 45 laps. He was pissed to give up spots and new that if the pulled him in that would happen, but if her stayed out he may have a chance to keep position.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  17. #567
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Actually we'll never know. It could have been that he lost more positions trying to push those tires that had gone 45 laps. He was pissed to give up spots and new that if the pulled him in that would happen, but if her stayed out he may have a chance to keep position.
    My view: He was 11 seconds ahead, with 9 laps to go. He'd been catching others at the rate of over 1 second per lap, so he had the pace.

    All he had to do was baby the tires for 9 laps, and with his straight-line speed advantage he had a strong chance of preventing any overtakes.

    He's probably be on the podium, and at worst he'd finish 4th.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  18. #568
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,406
    That was a hell of a race. I understand why they voted Sainz as driver of the day but I would've voted for Perez.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    <Discussion>
    Hamilton was right.
    His team was wrong.
    That is all.
    </Discussion>
    Totally agree. I didn't understand that either. That said, commentators pointed out that Ocon started going backwards toward the end of the race and that probably would've happened to Lewis, as well. Still, he had that sizeable gap. In Mercedes' defense, I know from experience that rain can be harder than what shows up on radar and I think rain was the consideration for bringing him in.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

  19. #569
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    My view: He was 11 seconds ahead, with 9 laps to go. He'd been catching others at the rate of over 1 second per lap, so he had the pace.

    All he had to do was baby the tires for 9 laps, and with his straight-line speed advantage he had a strong chance of preventing any overtakes.

    He's probably be on the podium, and at worst he'd finish 4th.
    This I agree with, who knows if the tires would have gone off & caused issues but I doubt he'd have dropped further than 5th in that scenario whereas he was guaranteed to drop to 5th with new tires and was unlikely to be able to pass LeClerc & Perez. Based on probabilities he should have stayed out.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  20. #570
    Member DrGoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    223
    There was an interesting comment today by sometime 'color commentator' and current McLaren test driver Paul di Resta during the first Austin practice broadcast. They were discussing how Alonso was starting to adapt to the Alpine which was very different to the kind of car he likes to drive. Paul was explaining trail braking, and he said that he was recently chatting to 'a former McLaren driver who is now at Alpine' and mentioned how Lando Norris liked a similar setup - Alonso said that the McLaren was set up like that for him, and that Lando had 'no choice' but to drive like that because of it. As subsequent commentary noted, this makes sense because it takes years to develop cars and they are typically developed around driver preferences.

    I was struck by a thought. If Ricciardo was having trouble adapting to the McLaren (despite being an incredible driver who has awesome testing and feedback pedigree) and Norris didn't, then as they start to unwind the choices that Alonso introduced by introducing more feedback from a seasoned driver like Ricciardo, then it's telling that as Norris has to change his driving style to what is likely a more standard style that he's still the quicker driver.

    "How we've had to drive the car the last two seasons is kind of going away in a good way. That's something I need to adjust to a little bit because the car is different this year."

    “We are trying to adjust some of the characteristics to make it a little bit more manageable to drive."

  21. #571
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,406
    That was a hell of a race. Looks like Red Bull got the strategy right. Checo had a good race and I suspect he would have finished closer to the front had his drink system not shit the bed. Leclerc also had a good race, finishing 10s behind Checo and ~24s ahead of Danny Ric. Bottas only made up 3 places.

    As for the standings, here are the top 10:
    1
    2
    3
    4
    5
    6
    7
    8
    9
    10
    Max Verstappen
    Lewis Hamilton
    Valtteri Bottas
    Sergio Perez
    Lando Norris
    Charles Leclerc
    Carlos Sainz
    Daniel Ricciardo
    Pierre Gasly
    Fernando Alonso
    287.5
    275.5
    185
    150
    149
    128
    122.5
    105
    74
    58

    Unless something changes, it looks like Mercedes is going to win another Constructor's. They're only 23 pts ahead (460.5 vs 437.5) and anything can happen, of course, but I don't see Checo making up 35 pts on Bottas with 5 races left.

    One of the interesting things to watch is how McLaren & Ferrari finish up. McLaren only has a 3 pt lead at the moment (254 vs 250.5).

    Also, there's a battle brewing between Alpine and AlphaTauri. Alpine currently has a 10 pt lead (104 vs 94). That's not insurmountable.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

  22. #572
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    That was a hell of a race. Looks like Red Bull got the strategy right. Checo had a good race and I suspect he would have finished closer to the front had his drink system not shit the bed. Leclerc also had a good race, finishing 10s behind Checo and ~24s ahead of Danny Ric. Bottas only made up 3 places.

    As for the standings, here are the top 10:
    1
    2
    3
    4
    5
    6
    7
    8
    9
    10
    Max Verstappen
    Lewis Hamilton
    Valtteri Bottas
    Sergio Perez
    Lando Norris
    Charles Leclerc
    Carlos Sainz
    Daniel Ricciardo
    Pierre Gasly
    Fernando Alonso
    287.5
    275.5
    185
    150
    149
    128
    122.5
    105
    74
    58

    Unless something changes, it looks like Mercedes is going to win another Constructor's. They're only 23 pts ahead (460.5 vs 437.5) and anything can happen, of course, but I don't see Checo making up 35 pts on Bottas with 5 races left.

    One of the interesting things to watch is how McLaren & Ferrari finish up. McLaren only has a 3 pt lead at the moment (254 vs 250.5).

    Also, there's a battle brewing between Alpine and AlphaTauri. Alpine currently has a 10 pt lead (104 vs 94). That's not insurmountable.
    Agreed - great race. And the Mclaren / Ferrari scrap will be fun to watch!

    I cringed about a dozen times off-track, though : The half-dressed rapper woman whose security thugs shoved Martin Brundle aside. Serena Williams blowing him off 3 times. That scrapyard-special that O'Neal arrived in with the trophy. O'Neal standing at the front of the podium during the national anthems, as if he'd done something to be recognized. The sad, bumpy state of what's supposed to be a world-class track.

    On the up-side, it was gratifying to see the size of the crowd. Who knew the USA had 400,000 F1 fans! I really hope this increase in popularity continues. And other than the bumpiness, the track and the facilities looked great.

    At one point I laughed so hard that I had to pause the broadcast : Giovanazzi and Alonzo were having a nasty scrap, and Brundle says "I'd hate to be an Alfa Romeo salesman in Spain tomorrow"
    Regards,

    Duncan

  23. #573
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,917
    Watched the Netflix documentary on Michael Schumacher the other day. Very well done. To be honest I had forgotten about his ski accident and that he was still alive. What a tragic circumstance for one of the all-time great drivers.

  24. #574
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    At one point I laughed so hard that I had to pause the broadcast : Giovanazzi and Alonzo were having a nasty scrap, and Brundle says "I'd hate to be an Alfa Romeo salesman in Spain tomorrow"
    I heard him say something but didn't catch it all. That is funny!

    As for your off track cringes, I hear ya. But they weren't there for the race, otherwise they'd know who Martin is. And it wasn't just them. I looked at the map of the venue and thought, "I'll never go to the USGP in Austin."

    The ugly American on full display.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Watched the Netflix documentary on Michael Schumacher the other day. Very well done. To be honest I had forgotten about his ski accident and that he was still alive. What a tragic circumstance for one of the all-time great drivers.
    I know I watched at least part of it but I can't remember if I finished it; I think I might've fallen asleep. Did they go into the state of his current condition? I think the last I heard on TV was that he was in a coma but haven't heard a thing about him since.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

  25. #575
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I heard him say something but didn't catch it all. That is funny!

    As for your off track cringes, I hear ya. But they weren't there for the race, otherwise they'd know who Martin is. And it wasn't just them. I looked at the map of the venue and thought, "I'll never go to the USGP in Austin."

    The ugly American on full display.
    Unfortunately I think we're doubling down on that by adding Miami in 2022. Go Murica'
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •