Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: F1 Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Attending it in person is one of my bucket-list items!! The whole atmosphere, the vibe, the sounds, the smells and the feel of the event must be a rush. I've attended other endurance races, and several F1 races, in the (distant) past, when spectators were still able to roam the inside of the track, grilling, camping out, drinking, socializing, watching the races, and so on. What a blast - and I have to assume that Le Mans is all that multiplied by 100.
    Yes, it is one of the greatest motorsport events for fans. Even the budget option of driving there and general track entry is great. I've never done the camping/glamping options either with my own tent or one of the package operators (I was young enough to stay awake for the events and just nap in the car for a short bit) but upping the game for one of the hospitality suites is well worthwhile. It gives you somewhere to hang out, relax and figure out what's happening on a large screen TV. Camping through the weekend opens up the option of pit passes, meeting the drivers and talking to the crew.

The only motorsport event that I consider even better value is the Goodwood Festival of Speed, which is a 'non-competitive' (but timed) hill climb on a private country estate. It brings together some of the most exotic and rare race cars from all periods of history and the open nature of the event allows for plenty of interaction. I met Nick Mason there with his Ferraris, shook hands with Sir Stirling Moss, Sir Jackie Stewart, John Surtees, Emerson Fittipaldi, Mario Andretti, Alain Prost and many others. I also stood less than twenty yards from Nick Heidfeld's McLaren as he started this:

I don't really have a sporting event on my bucket list but if I did, it would be Spa.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

I think attending the U.S. Grand Prix sometime would be cool. I never took advantage when it was closer to me in Indianapolis, but my wife has family in Texas, not too far from where the track is, so we may be able to work it out one of these days. I have been to 4 different NASCAR tracks, 2 different Indycar tracks including The Indy 500, and the Super Bowl of Sprint Car racing The Kings Royal in Ohio, but never been to a F-1 race (or any kind of road race for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think attending the U.S. Grand Prix sometime would be cool. I never took advantage when it was closer to me in Indianapolis, but my wife has family in Texas, not too far from where the track is, so we may be able to work it out one of these days. I have been to 4 different NASCAR tracks, 2 different Indycar tracks including The Indy 500, and the Super Bowl of Sprint Car racing The Kings Royal in Ohio, but never been to a F-1 race (or any kind of road race for that matter).
    I'd like to go to the Austin race some time, but I understand it's very regimented. I.e. you're pushed into your seat on the stands, and you aren't allowed to go anywhere else. No (or little) wandering around the infield.

I was told by a former PE member (Hugues B, from Canada) that the Canadian GP is far better from a spectator's perspective.

I should look into that, and maybe plan to attend 1 of those 2 races next year. (Not sure I'm interested in the new Miami race...)
    Regards,

Duncan

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    What a race at spa today! Such thrilling action! Such amazing performance! Such deserved points/podiums!
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Boy am I glad you didn't say who the winner was. My favorite race of the year and I thought it was next weekend.

It is usually my favorite race of the year as well, but this year was a bit different.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

No spoilers, although I can't imagine not knowing about SPA at this point.

I like the conversation about attending races. Mine would certainly be Miami or Canada, but after seeing the gorgeous countryside, camping grounds and course this weekend, I'd probably add SPA.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I still haven't seen the race. I also managed to avoid any of your posts.

I watched qualifying last night but missed Q3 because of the rain delaying things and because I forgot to extend the recording time for F1 races.

I also started watching the race but stopped when I realized how late it was. I noticed that there was a delay due to rain.

Can someone PM me to let me know if the race finished on time or not? I'd hate to watch 90% of it only to miss the end. I can find it elsewhere if that's the case but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have to.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Don't watch it, check the result online, you'll thank me.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    He's right.
    Regards,

Duncan

I can't help but laugh at how this is playing out for ol' Hal. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I can't help but laugh at how this is playing out for ol' Hal. :P
    Sure. Go ahead. Laugh at my misfortune.

"Just Eric" PM'd me about the race. I can't believe it rained hard enough to cancel it. Bummer. Spa in the rain is a sight to behold.

Now that Hal's up to date and there won't be any spoilers I'm sure we all agree that the Spa "race" was an unmitigated f***ing embarrassment.

That old Indy F1 race is no longer the dumbest thing in F1 history - Spa's cluster**** eclipses that.

The only good thing to come out of it is that Russell was on the podium - for whatever the odium" was worth.

I know they couldn't have postponed it to Monday (still rain) - but they could have run it today, trimmed Zandvoort to 2 days, and made most people happy-ish.
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ridiculous for them to send them out for 2 laps behind a safety car to register it as a "race". Even more stupid to award half points for it. THERE WAS NO RACING!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I know they couldn't have postponed it to Monday (still rain) - but they could have run it today, trimmed Zandvoort to 2 days, and made most people happy-ish.
    Ridiculous for them to send them out for 2 laps behind a safety car to register it as a "race". Even more stupid to award half points for it. THERE WAS NO RACING!
    OR - simply cancelled the whole thing and promised ticket-holders a discount for next year's race..?

I'm the race director / event owner for a national championship sporting event (it's probably at least a 1/8th % the size of an F1 race ) but I like to put myself in the shoes of the organizers to see what they could or should have done...
    Regards,

Duncan

OR - simply cancelled the whole thing and promised ticket-holders a discount for next year's race..?

I'm the race director / event owner for a national championship sporting event (it's probably at least a 1/8th % the size of an F1 race ) but I like to put myself in the shoes of the organizers to see what they could or should have done...
    Curious, what is the policy in F-1 if the race is cancelled by weather? In the U.S. Indy Car & NASCAR would both race the next day. Does F1 not do that?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Curious, what is the policy in F-1 if the race is cancelled by weather? In the U.S. Indy Car & NASCAR would both race the next day. Does F1 not do that?
    Steve, it's up to the race director. In this case:
    * Postponing the race to Monday would not work because the weather was predicted to be just as bad on Monday
    * Postponing to Tuesday would introduce a logistical nightmare because there's a race in the Netherlands next weekend - and it's a heck of a strain to move the whole show even if the race is run on the Sunday.

There's an antiquated rule that if they race for 2 or more laps, it's a race. If they race for less than half of the planned race, only half-points are awarded. In this case, they did 2 laps behind the pace car (i.e. in strict grid-place sequence) and then the race was called. So - officially, they "had a race" and half points were awarded based on the drivers' qualifying positions.

In fairness to F1, This weekend's circumstances have never been encountered before, so it was an anomaly. They're re-examining that antiquated rule and promise to introduce something that makes more sense soon...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Sure. Go ahead. Laugh at my misfortune.

"Just Eric" PM'd me about the race. I can't believe it rained hard enough to cancel it. Bummer. Spa in the rain is a sight to behold.
    I only laugh due to how much effort you put into trying to watch this disaster. If it was a real race, it would have been unamusing to me.

Now that Hal's up to date and there won't be any spoilers I'm sure we all agree that the Spa "race" was an unmitigated f***ing embarrassment.

That old Indy F1 race is no longer the dumbest thing in F1 history - Spa's cluster**** eclipses that.

The only good thing to come out of it is that Russell was on the podium - for whatever the odium" was worth.

Agreed. I don't see how anyone could argue that this race isn't the worst F1 race of all time. Even at that indy race in 05, there was actual racing. Sure, it was more or less over immediately and very farcical, but they competed and completed the whole thing. Even the previous shortest F1 race ever got to 14 laps before they shut it down. This is a whole other level.

And maybe if they didn't take a fucking month off and then have two back to back races there would be a little more wiggle room for situations like these....

I only laugh due to how much effort you put into trying to watch this disaster. If it was a real race, it would have been unamusing to me.
    It's alright. I thought it was amusing, too, in light of the fact that (a) I took your post seriously about how thrilling the race was and (b) I went through the trouble of not reading later posts when I posted. It was all pretty ironic, in the classic sense, and I love irony.

And maybe if they didn't take a fucking month off and then have two back to back races there would be a little more wiggle room for situations like these....
    Good point. Especially considering Spa has a history of inclement weather. Then again, Zandvoort is practically next door (3-3 hour drive) so they might have been thinking it was a cost saving move to have them a week apart.

They could also have postponed it and squeezed it in between Monza & Sochi. A flight from Milan to Spa is an hour at most.

I just looked at average weather for Belgium in the summer. It appears the beginning of June and the end of August are the two worse times to hold the race. But, really, the difference between those and the rest of summer is almost negligible. The first of May and the middle of September seem better but the temps are cooler then, too, so they aren't ideal.

Maybe what they need is to add some camber to Eau Rouge and add a storm drain to prevent any standing water.

Or, put their big boy pants on and suck it up.

Steve, it's up to the race director. In this case:
    * Postponing the race to Monday would not work because the weather was predicted to be just as bad on Monday
    * Postponing to Tuesday would introduce a logistical nightmare because there's a race in the Netherlands next weekend - and it's a heck of a strain to move the whole show even if the race is run on the Sunday.

There's an antiquated rule that if they race for 2 or more laps, it's a race. If they race for less than half of the planned race, only half-points are awarded. In this case, they did 2 laps behind the pace car (i.e. in strict grid-place sequence) and then the race was called. So - officially, they "had a race" and half points were awarded based on the drivers' qualifying positions.

In fairness to F1, This weekend's circumstances have never been encountered before, so it was an anomaly. They're re-examining that antiquated rule and promise to introduce something that makes more sense soon...
    Thanks for the info, and that makes sense.

He's right.
    Well, I did watch it and I'm glad I didn't take your advice because if I had I wouldn't have seen Fernando's helmet cam. That was really cool! And I also wouldn't have learned how Martin Brundle has a 2nd place trophy that doesn't mean anything since Tyrrell was DQ'd for the whole '84 season. That prompted me to read this: Tyrrell's 1984 Controversy.

Although there is no ink on the contract yet, George Russell said that he learned where he'll be in 2022 over the race weekend. I'm guessing the timing indicates somebody wanted to get a car past him in the race.

Running two laps (unsafely) behind a safety car after the rain continued to get heavier was an utterly cynical financial ploy by the FIA to ensure that they continued to get paid by sponsors. There was no race, there should be no classification or points awarded, and the losers are the poor schmucks who bought expensive race tickets for the weekend. However, knowing the format of European motor racing, there was never a chance of ticket refund after one of the support races was run. You only ever get money back if no races (including minor races such as Porsche Supercup) are run. Probably F1's lowest day, Mr. Todt, and you only ever had to clear the bar of Max Mosley's grubby record.