Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 312

Thread: F1 Racing

  1. #251
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Why would they have deliberately sabotaged Russell do you think Duncan?
    I had the feeling right after it happened that Merc didn't want Russell to show up their #2. But I discovered this a little while ago:

    As Russell entered the pits, confusion reigned at Mercedes. The FIA later investigated the team’s error in fitting the wrong tyres to Russell’s car, and confirmed the driver’s own radio message inadvertently contributed to it.

    “Car 63 [Russell] was fitted with front tyres that were allocated to car 77 [Bottas]” they noted. “This was caused by a radio communications technical issue wherein the pit wall’s communication to the pit crew that car 63 was entering the pits prior to (and not after) car 77, failed to be received by the crew of car 63 because at the same time, the driver of car 63 transmitted over the top of that message.”

    How Russell nearly avoided his race-losing pit stop
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

  2. #252
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I had the feeling right after it happened that Merc didn't want Russell to show up their #2. But I discovered this a little while ago:

    As Russell entered the pits, confusion reigned at Mercedes. The FIA later investigated the team’s error in fitting the wrong tyres to Russell’s car, and confirmed the driver’s own radio message inadvertently contributed to it.

    “Car 63 [Russell] was fitted with front tyres that were allocated to car 77 [Bottas]” they noted. “This was caused by a radio communications technical issue wherein the pit wall’s communication to the pit crew that car 63 was entering the pits prior to (and not after) car 77, failed to be received by the crew of car 63 because at the same time, the driver of car 63 transmitted over the top of that message.”

    How Russell nearly avoided his race-losing pit stop
    Ah - thanks.

    Lucky I'm not a conspiracy theorist

    The fact is - regardless of his actual finishing position in the race - he did show up Bottas, and maybe Hamilton too.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  3. #253
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,230
    I have a question that I am sure someone here can answer. I was watching “Drive To Survive” today and they were showing a race from last year. During the race there was an accident that caused the pace car to come out. The accident only involved one car and there was no injury, but they are eventually red flagged the race and did a re-start on the grid with the cars side by side. This was something like 28 laps into the race. The show never really explained why there was a complete standing restart. I am wondering if someone here might be able to explain what happened in that situation. In Indy car, NASCAR, and most other U.S. forms of racing I am familiar with there might be a double file re-start after a red flag, but it would be a rolling start. In F-1 is it policy to have a grid start after a red flag? I am also still not sure whey they threw a red flag in the first place unless there were consequences that the show did not televise.

  4. #254
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,243
    Red flag is generally if someone is injured or there is so much crash debris on the track it's going to take too long to clear. Grid restart as that is how they wrote the rule.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  5. #255
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,189
    I think you might be talking about the Italian GP, Steve. They had to red flag the race because Leclerc's accident damaged the tire barrier, which had to be fixed before the race could be continued.

    And, yes, restarts after a red flag are standing starts.

    Personally, I always felt Indycar's rolling starts were unnecessary.

    -----

    It appears that, starting this season, they're either eliminating or limiting virtual safety cars. I hope that's the case.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

  6. #256
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I think you might be talking about the Italian GP, Steve. They had to red flag the race because Leclerc's accident damaged the tire barrier, which had to be fixed before the race could be continued.

    And, yes, restarts after a red flag are standing starts.

    Personally, I always felt Indycar's rolling starts were unnecessary.

    -----

    It appears that, starting this season, they're either eliminating or limiting virtual safety cars. I hope that's the case.
    Yes, it was the Italian GP. Having to fix the barrier makes sense, but they didn't really point that out in the show, so I was a little confused.

  7. #257
    Even a small collision can leave damaging shards of carbon fibre on the track and risk other drivers tyres, plus the safety of the marshalls is paramount, so safety cars and occasional restarts (for more serious track damage) are a necessity while they clean up the track.

  8. #258
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,189
    For those of you on Facebook, I just discovered a great page with lots of old racing footage. For example, here's a short video of Senna pulling out of the pits and running a warmup lap at Monaco:

    https://www.facebook.com/GentlemenDr...13541788737901
    Last edited by Hal...; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:54 PM.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

  9. #259
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,189
    This is a friendly reminder that the GP of Imola is this weekend.

    You're welcome.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

  10. #260
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,192
    My DVR knows!

    LOL

    In my area, the practices, qualifying, and race are scattered across 3 separate ESPN channels. But the DVR followed them anyway, and they're still programmed.

    HOWEVER - they've changed the times of some of the events (FP3 and qualifying, I think) to accommodate Prince Phillip's funeral. So I've set my DVR to record about half a dozen programs before and after the scheduled time, just in case...
    Regards,

    Duncan

  11. #261
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,243
    Royal deaths messing with the sports schedule is the definition of a first world problem but it still makes me grind my teeth. We lost a whole weekend of Premier League Soccer when Di's driver decided to to wipe out in a Parisian underpass.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  12. #262
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Royal deaths messing with the sports schedule is the definition of a first world problem but it still makes me grind my teeth. We lost a whole weekend of Premier League Soccer when Di's driver decided to to wipe out in a Parisian underpass.
    Ian is not a Royalist, then?
    Regards,

    Duncan

  13. #263
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Ian is not a Royalist, then?
    I'm more of a fan of the classical definition of a republic and the approach the French took to establishing one.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  14. #264
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,189
    Quali was great. To borrow a Brit term, I was absolutely chuffed to see Perez on the front row.

    And how about Norris? Could've been on the second row! And let's be honest, he exceeded track limits by mere feet so I disagree w/Martin because any advantage he gained from it was completely negligible. Rules are rules so I don't lament his lap time being deleted but I so hope he can pressure those in front of him.


    And here it is, just a few minutes before the start of the race and I see it's a wet weather race. Is there anything better than a F1 race in the rain?
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

  15. #265
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,189
    This is all I have to say.

    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

  16. #266
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,192
    I just watched the race. Plenty of action - despite the big time differences between the front runners and the slowest, it was no procession!

    You could argue that the rule enabling Hamilton to get back to the podium is stupid - but here's an observation:

    - In the past 12-or-so months, there have been a few times when Bottas has found himself mid-pack. On those occasions - that's where he's stayed, and he's been unable to break through to the front. That happened again today, before his crash. He wasn't showing any signs of moving up the field.

    - On the other hand - every time Hamilton has found himself mid-pack for whatever reason, he's clawed his way back through the field, and finished near the front.

    I have to respect that!

    Putting Mercedes aside :


    Brilliant drive by Verstappen - he won that on merit. I was really pulling for Perez. He seems to have become one of my favorite drivers in the last year or 2. So I was sad he spun off near the end, and couldn't get past Alonzo to get back into the points.

    Norris's driver of the day was well deserved. Though I suspect the LeClerc would have caught him if the race had been 5 laps longer. Remember when Ricciardo was going to come into McLaren and teach the kid a lesson or 2? Hmmm - so far, the kid is teaching the veteran. It's also awesome to see McLaren back in the hunt after their god-awful performances 2 and 3 and 4 years ago.

    4th and 5th for Ferrari is a huge difference from where they were last season - so we can hopefully look forward to a lot more competition at the front.

    I lost count of Maze-spin's and Latiffi's spin-counts - but between them I bet they out-spun the rest of the field put together over this weekend. The best thing I can say about Mazepin is that he's given Latifi a chance to break into the top 19! <ends sarcasm >

    Ocon finishing 1 position ahead of Alonzo might - or might not - be significant. I plan to watch that partnership closely this season. I don't think Ocon is that great, and if Alonzo's ability is half as good as his reputation, he ought to be way ahead of Ocon.


    Who do you think was guilty in the Bottas / Russell crash? I blame Bottas, though I can see how you could blame Russell too. If I were a steward I'd put it down to a "racing incident".
    Regards,

    Duncan

  17. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

    You could argue that the rule enabling Hamilton to get back to the podium is stupid - but here's an observation:

    - In the past 12-or-so months, there have been a few times when Bottas has found himself mid-pack. On those occasions - that's where he's stayed, and he's been unable to break through to the front. That happened again today, before his crash. He wasn't showing any signs of moving up the field.

    - On the other hand - every time Hamilton has found himself mid-pack for whatever reason, he's clawed his way back through the field, and finished near the front.

    I have to respect that!

    Who do you think was guilty in the Bottas / Russell crash? I blame Bottas, though I can see how you could blame Russell too. If I were a steward I'd put it down to a "racing incident".
    I agree Duncan, Lewis always shows his racer mettle went posed with such a problem, and it makes for a really exciting finish. There really isn’t anything between him and Max right now, it bodes well for the season.

    I saw the crash as a 50/50 incident, but Russell clearly had a different view. Bottas was having a stinker of a weekend, so it’s conceivable he could have more of the blame. (Spellchecker keeps wanting to substitute “Bottles” which is somewhat appropriate).

    Got to love the rain though, it always makes for an interesting race.

  18. #268
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,243
    I saw the Russell Bottas crash as a 50:50 racing incident, Russell was going round him and got a couple of wheels on the grass & that put them together.

    Apparently Russell now accepts that Bottas wasn't to blame

    “Could it have been avoided? Yes. Was Valtteri in the wrong? Probably not.

    “Could he have done something slightly more? Maybe. Was I in the wrong? I caused the crash by spinning, but was I wrong to go for that overtake? Absolutely not. You would have been foolish to lift at that position.”
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  19. #269
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I agree Duncan, Lewis always shows his racer mettle went posed with such a problem, and it makes for a really exciting finish. There really isn’t anything between him and Max right now, it bodes well for the season.

    I saw the crash as a 50/50 incident, but Russell clearly had a different view. Bottas was having a stinker of a weekend, so it’s conceivable he could have more of the blame. (Spellchecker keeps wanting to substitute “Bottles” which is somewhat appropriate).

    Got to love the rain though, it always makes for an interesting race.
    That's it - Hamilton's team mate is now called "Bottles"
    Regards,

    Duncan

  20. #270
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    - On the other hand - every time Hamilton has found himself mid-pack for whatever reason, he's clawed his way back through the field, and finished near the front.
    I have to respect that!
    I don't argue that at all. He's certainly proved himself over the years to be able to move through the pack; one of the best ever. My issue is that had he still been a lap down, he'd have finished in 8th and both Max and Red Bull would be ahead in the standings.

    But do you see how that rule changes things? Not that I think Max & Red Bull have lost the season because of it nor that they would maintain the lead if it didn't exist. Mercedes has appeared to be the best at development thru the season for the past several years. But it could make a big difference to guys like Norris, Leclerc, Sainz, DanRic, and Perez.

    And as for the constructor's standings, if Red Bull continues to be a thorn in Merc's side, I could see Perez finishing ahead of Bottas for 3rd in the driver's championship. So, that difference of 13 points in Merc's favor could be a factor at the end of the season.

    Regardless, the fact is that it's still the beginning of the season and this could all prove trivial. But I have never liked that rule. It never used to be like that. It just doesn't make sense why you would let back runners unlap themselves. I mean, if no yellow or red is thrown, lapped cars finish a lap down. Why change that because of a yellow or red?

    Ocon finishing 1 position ahead of Alonzo might - or might not - be significant. I plan to watch that partnership closely this season.
    I do too. I could be wrong but I don't recall Alonzo being great in the wet.

    Who do you think was guilty in the Bottas / Russell crash?
    In the dry? Bottas. In the rain? Racing incident. I doubt Bottas could see he was back there or coming alongside and Russell had too much momentum to brake effectively to avoid him. Had Russell pulled up alongside after the kink, I'm sure they would have avoided each other.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

  21. #271
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,243
    Masterpiece by Hamilton this weekend, passed both his main rivals with good driving and never let them get a sniff
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  22. #272
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Masterpiece by Hamilton this weekend, passed both his main rivals with good driving and never let them get a sniff
    How about Rico coming from 16th to 5th and eventually crossing at 9th. He was the most active of the race, but Hamilton is majestic, makes it look effortless although we know it is anything but.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  23. #273
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    2,189
    Yeah, Danny Ric had a good drive. Of course, it didn't hurt that he didn't pit when everyone else did and he was able to run all by himself for a long time. It helps he has that ability to extend the life of his tires like few others can.

    Norris had a good drive, also. And Ocon surprised me with how racy he was, even tho he finished 2 places down.

    Poor Carlos Sainz. Why they didn't put him on hard tires when he pitted I don't understand. Did he not have a new set? Regardless, once again, Ferrari fucked up their strategy and not only did he finish outside the points but also a lap down. I was really hoping he would finish well.

    I thought Vettel might finish higher but he went backward at some point for some reason. But then, Aston Martin haven't shown themselves to be competitive, so far, have they? After the way they fought with McLaren last year for 4th in the Constructor's, I thought they'd be much more competitive from the start this year.

    The guy I was most impressed by was Alonso. He started 7 places behind his teammate Ocon and finished 1 place and 1.1 seconds behind. That's why I voted him for Driver of the Day because, unlike Danny Ric, he did it the hard way, passing a bunch more cars, iirc. Not to mention DR finished ~11 seconds behind Alonso and only 1.1 seconds ahead of Gasly.

    I must say, tho, I can't wait for the day Mercedes decides they've had enough and get out of F1. This has been tedious for a few years, now, tho not quite as bad as when Ferrari dominated early in the century. I think Toto and Mercedes are cheating.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

  24. #274
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I must say, tho, I can't wait for the day Mercedes decides they've had enough and get out of F1. This has been tedious for a few years, now, tho not quite as bad as when Ferrari dominated early in the century. I think Toto and Mercedes are cheating.
    You and Red Bull! To be honest this is my first year following closer than Monaco and I can't believe what I've been missing all this time. If the world is open enough I may try to attend one in 2022. We have a track close by, Sonoma Raceway, formerly Sears Point, that hosts a NASCAR race, NHRA, and lesser know circuits, but no Formula racing.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  25. #275
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yeah, Danny Ric had a good drive. Of course, it didn't hurt that he didn't pit when everyone else did and he was able to run all by himself for a long time. It helps he has that ability to extend the life of his tires like few others can.

    Norris had a good drive, also. And Ocon surprised me with how racy he was, even tho he finished 2 places down.

    Poor Carlos Sainz. Why they didn't put him on hard tires when he pitted I don't understand. Did he not have a new set? Regardless, once again, Ferrari fucked up their strategy and not only did he finish outside the points but also a lap down. I was really hoping he would finish well.

    I thought Vettel might finish higher but he went backward at some point for some reason. But then, Aston Martin haven't shown themselves to be competitive, so far, have they? After the way they fought with McLaren last year for 4th in the Constructor's, I thought they'd be much more competitive from the start this year.

    The guy I was most impressed by was Alonso. He started 7 places behind his teammate Ocon and finished 1 place and 1.1 seconds behind. That's why I voted him for Driver of the Day because, unlike Danny Ric, he did it the hard way, passing a bunch more cars, iirc. Not to mention DR finished ~11 seconds behind Alonso and only 1.1 seconds ahead of Gasly.

    I must say, tho, I can't wait for the day Mercedes decides they've had enough and get out of F1. This has been tedious for a few years, now, tho not quite as bad as when Ferrari dominated early in the century. I think Toto and Mercedes are cheating.
    Alonso was "solid" - as he's always been. After the first 2 races I though he might be washed out, but I think there's still hope for the old dog

    Raikkonen's retirement was just plain dumb! Was he texting and driving at the time?

    I was hoping for closer competition between LeClerc and Norris. They were 2 to 3 seconds apart almost all day and suddenly - nothing happened. It seems that some of the biggest competition this year will will be for the best-of-the-rest, specifically between Mclaren and Ferrari.

    I'm asking myself more and more often ... just how good is Bottas, really? He's clearly not in the Hamilton/Verstappen league - but if any other above-average driver was in the same car ... would they be better than Bottas? I'm beginning to think the answer is yes.
    Regards,

    Duncan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •