Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: F1 Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Why would they have deliberately sabotaged Russell do you think Duncan?
    I had the feeling right after it happened that Merc didn't want Russell to show up their #2. But I discovered this a little while ago:

As Russell entered the pits, confusion reigned at Mercedes. The FIA later investigated the team’s error in fitting the wrong tyres to Russell’s car, and confirmed the driver’s own radio message inadvertently contributed to it.

“Car 63 [Russell] was fitted with front tyres that were allocated to car 77 [Bottas]” they noted. “This was caused by a radio communications technical issue wherein the pit wall’s communication to the pit crew that car 63 was entering the pits prior to (and not after) car 77, failed to be received by the crew of car 63 because at the same time, the driver of car 63 transmitted over the top of that message.”

How Russell nearly avoided his race-losing pit stop
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I had the feeling right after it happened that Merc didn't want Russell to show up their #2. But I discovered this a little while ago:

As Russell entered the pits, confusion reigned at Mercedes. The FIA later investigated the team’s error in fitting the wrong tyres to Russell’s car, and confirmed the driver’s own radio message inadvertently contributed to it.

“Car 63 [Russell] was fitted with front tyres that were allocated to car 77 [Bottas]” they noted. “This was caused by a radio communications technical issue wherein the pit wall’s communication to the pit crew that car 63 was entering the pits prior to (and not after) car 77, failed to be received by the crew of car 63 because at the same time, the driver of car 63 transmitted over the top of that message.”

How Russell nearly avoided his race-losing pit stop
    Ah - thanks.

Lucky I'm not a conspiracy theorist

The fact is - regardless of his actual finishing position in the race - he did show up Bottas, and maybe Hamilton too.
    Regards,

Duncan

I have a question that I am sure someone here can answer. I was watching “Drive To Survive” today and they were showing a race from last year. During the race there was an accident that caused the pace car to come out. The accident only involved one car and there was no injury, but they are eventually red flagged the race and did a re-start on the grid with the cars side by side. This was something like 28 laps into the race. The show never really explained why there was a complete standing restart. I am wondering if someone here might be able to explain what happened in that situation. In Indy car, NASCAR, and most other U.S. forms of racing I am familiar with there might be a double file re-start after a red flag, but it would be a rolling start. In F-1 is it policy to have a grid start after a red flag? I am also still not sure whey they threw a red flag in the first place unless there were consequences that the show did not televise.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Red flag is generally if someone is injured or there is so much crash debris on the track it's going to take too long to clear. Grid restart as that is how they wrote the rule.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think you might be talking about the Italian GP, Steve. They had to red flag the race because Leclerc's accident damaged the tire barrier, which had to be fixed before the race could be continued.

And, yes, restarts after a red flag are standing starts.

Personally, I always felt Indycar's rolling starts were unnecessary.

-----

It appears that, starting this season, they're either eliminating or limiting virtual safety cars. I hope that's the case.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I think you might be talking about the Italian GP, Steve. They had to red flag the race because Leclerc's accident damaged the tire barrier, which had to be fixed before the race could be continued.

And, yes, restarts after a red flag are standing starts.

Personally, I always felt Indycar's rolling starts were unnecessary.

-----

It appears that, starting this season, they're either eliminating or limiting virtual safety cars. I hope that's the case.
    Yes, it was the Italian GP. Having to fix the barrier makes sense, but they didn't really point that out in the show, so I was a little confused.

Even a small collision can leave damaging shards of carbon fibre on the track and risk other drivers tyres, plus the safety of the marshalls is paramount, so safety cars and occasional restarts (for more serious track damage) are a necessity while they clean up the track.

For those of you on Facebook, I just discovered a great page with lots of old racing footage. For example, here's a short video of Senna pulling out of the pits and running a warmup lap at Monaco:

https://www.facebook.com/GentlemenDr...13541788737901
    Last edited by Hal...; 1 Day Ago at 02:54 PM.

This is a friendly reminder that the GP of Imola is this weekend.

You're welcome.

My DVR knows!

LOL

In my area, the practices, qualifying, and race are scattered across 3 separate ESPN channels. But the DVR followed them anyway, and they're still programmed.

HOWEVER - they've changed the times of some of the events (FP3 and qualifying, I think) to accommodate Prince Phillip's funeral. So I've set my DVR to record about half a dozen programs before and after the scheduled time, just in case...
    Regards,

Duncan

Royal deaths messing with the sports schedule is the definition of a first world problem but it still makes me grind my teeth. We lost a whole weekend of Premier League Soccer when Di's driver decided to to wipe out in a Parisian underpass.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Royal deaths messing with the sports schedule is the definition of a first world problem but it still makes me grind my teeth. We lost a whole weekend of Premier League Soccer when Di's driver decided to to wipe out in a Parisian underpass.
    Ian is not a Royalist, then?
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Ian is not a Royalist, then?
    I'm more of a fan of the classical definition of a republic and the approach the French took to establishing one.
    Ian