Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

I know I watched at least part of it but I can't remember if I finished it; I think I might've fallen asleep. Did they go into the state of his current condition? I think the last I heard on TV was that he was in a coma but haven't heard a thing about him since.
    No, his wife talks about maintaining his privacy, so there are not shots of his current situation, nor do they talk about it. The kids are interviewed and allude to some things, but it is not really touched upon.

Wow what a weekend and how incredible was Lewis to overcome an effective 25 places of grid penalty. Wish I had placed a bet on him to win a day ago. The title race has been blown wide open again, it’s going down to the wire, which is exactly what we want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Wow what a weekend and how incredible was Lewis to overcome an effective 25 places of grid penalty. Wish I had placed a bet on him to win a day ago. The title race has been blown wide open again, it’s going down to the wire, which is exactly what we want to see.
    Very impressive!

Someone told me a few weeks ago that Hamilton was burned out and had lost his edge. I disputed that - and now, I've been vindicated.

The championship will probably go to Verstappen - but not without a fight!
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fantastic performance by Hamilton. Surprised they didn't even check on Verstappen running him off the track.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Very impressive!

Someone told me a few weeks ago that Hamilton was burned out and had lost his edge. I disputed that - and now, I've been vindicated.

The championship will probably go to Verstappen - but not without a fight!
    I think a little adversity is sometimes needed to galvanise a response, and he proved his overtaking abilities and fearlessness in both the sprint and the race.

You are probably right, Verstappen will take the title, but they were talking up the next two tracks on Sky as being straight line speed favourable, so it isn’t inconceivable that they could be level going into the final race. I would love to see that, for the thrill of the sport.

HO ... LY ... SHIT

That was something!
    Regards,

Duncan

Verstappen is flat out dangerous, very very good but goes over the line too often.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    HO ... LY ... SHIT

That was something!
    Yes, this is basically what I said. A friend and I were texting through the race and we had to use the words 'shit' 'wtf' and 'my god!' about a dozen times each.

Has a championship ever been tied going into the final race before?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I’ve never seen a race like it, I’m still not sure if it was a good one! It was certainly exciting and on a knife edge, swinging both ways, but I also think Verstappen is way over the line at times. Clearly there is no love lost between them, and it could get uglier yet. If Verstappen was to accidentally take Hamilton out, he would win on number of race wins. I can foresee a coming together and him not yielding again, it is going to be fascinating.

I think in commentary they said the top two had not been tied going into the final race since 74 when Emerson Fittipaldi and Clay Regazzoni were level. Fittipaldi took the title.

That was an unusual track and race. I thought it showed how unprepared the stewards are for a race with that many incidents - unevenly handled and responded to imho. I do like the Hamilton/Verstappen battle. Hamilton has the faster car at the moment it seems and Max has the stubborn grit and fearlessness (some say recklessness) in a ever so slightly slower car.

One thing I noticed was the allure of the feud at the front distracted me from anything happening in spots 3-16 (4 early exits). In fact I don't think I even knew the order beyond P3, and then only because Vallteri was on the podium.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Looked to me like Verstappen was applying the "letter" of the rules brilliantly, if not the "spirit" of them.

He had to give back the position. "Okay - I'll slow down suddenly, when he isn't expecting it". (He didn't bank on the unsafe driving charge, though.)

He still had to give back the position. "Okay - you can have it for 0.75 seconds on this corner, until I take it back from you in a weird, unconventional move".

Etc.

And - on what ******* planet does the team get to negotiate with race control whether their driver should (re)start in position 1, 2, or 3? Michael Masi should have said "You don't get to make me an offer. I will tell you where he's going to start!"
    Regards,

Duncan

Yeah when you give a place back it shouldn't be in a spot where you can immediately grab it back as that defeats the purpose.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah when you give a place back it shouldn't be in a spot where you can immediately grab it back as that defeats the purpose.
    There should be a one lap no take backs rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    There should be a one lap no take backs rule.
    Again - he was (brilliantly, IMO) exploiting gaps in the rules.

I'm not saying he was doing the right thing - just acknowledging his creativity.

When I used to race sailboats - the rules were very complex and most people only understood the basics. My Dad was a rules judge, and I learned a lot from him - and then studied many of the rules very closely.

There were tons of gaps, where people assumed the "intent" of the rules were in fact in the "letter" of the rules - but they weren't. So I used to find all these gaps and gain advantages. My competitors lodged protests against me, but i the protest meetings (which were something like a trial LOL) I pointed out the exact wording of the rules, and I always won.

I was seeing the same sort of thing in Verstappen's behavior yesterday.
    Regards,

Duncan

So close the gap, I have no issue with Verstappen, my issue is with the rule.
    Ian

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: Max Verstappen says he is treated differently to other drivers
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/59593834

Love this, classic coach speak to set up the ref's to not penalize him ahead of the race. Hey Max how about you drive within the rules?
    Ian

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: Max Verstappen says he is treated differently to other drivers
    Funny - Hamilton (and many viewers) felt that Hamilton was being treated differently. That was especially true in the Vettel era, when Bernie loved Vettel and thought he or Red Bull could do no wrong.

Love this, classic coach speak to set up the ref's to not penalize him ahead of the race. Hey Max how about you drive within the rules?
    LOL - That would be boring!

To give Verstappen his dues, though: He's a master driver (witness his performance vs. Perez), his car is marginally inferior to the Merc yet he still manages to compete, his desperate will to win adds a lot of spice and interest to an otherwise boring season, and although I'm a huge Hamilton fan, I wouldn't mind seeing a change of guard - either this weekend, or in a year's time.
    Regards,

Duncan

On a different topic - I'm predicting that the new 2022 cars will change ... everything!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the changes, and how each team manages to interpret and apply the new rules - and if it will change their ability to compete.
    Regards,

Duncan

Not F-1, but since this is the only racing thread on this forum, thought I would post it here. One of the all time Indy Car greats passed away today. He won the Indy 500 4 times, and is still the oldest winner at 47. He drove every division of USAC racing. Was the IROC Champion and also spent some time in NASCAR. RIP Al Unser.

To give Verstappen his dues, though: He's a master driver (witness his performance vs. Perez), his car is marginally inferior to the Merc yet he still manages to compete, his desperate will to win adds a lot of spice and interest to an otherwise boring season, and although I'm a huge Hamilton fan, I wouldn't mind seeing a change of guard - either this weekend, or in a year's time.
    I’ll take a change of the guard next year, I would like to see Lewis get that eighth title.

There’s a good read about Max on the BBC site, it made me view him with different eyes. He is clearly a supreme talent, and with Lewis, head and shoulders above the pack.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59555388

I’ll take a change of the guard next year, I would like to see Lewis get that eighth title.

There’s a good read about Max on the BBC site, it made me view him with different eyes. He is clearly a supreme talent, and with Lewis, head and shoulders above the pack.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59555388
    Good article. And it shows how these drivers need to be groomed from a very young age, and the degree of dedication that grooming requires.
    Regards,

Duncan

That was a good read. The racing family is so small, all these connections.

Qualifying was good today as well and the track appears interesting. Should make for a great Sunday!

Hamilton got robbed
    Ian

Unbelievable, mugged in the street by a guy wearing state of the art and brand new sneakers, while he was out in his flip-flops.

They have gone toe to toe all year but how can it be right that a 14 second advantage is eradicated by a stewards decision, the like of which we have never seen before. Lewis took it on the chin and was remarkably magnanimous. There was only ever one winner when it came down to those contrasting two sets of tyres.

Hamilton got robbed
    True

Unbelievable, mugged in the street by a guy wearing state of the art and brand new sneakers, while he was out in his flip-flops.

They have gone toe to toe all year but how can it be right that a 14 second advantage is eradicated by a stewards decision, the like of which we have never seen before. Lewis took it on the chin and was remarkably magnanimous. There was only ever one winner when it came down to those contrasting two sets of tyres.
    Very true

Put aside the last minute capitulation to Red Bull's demands - if some lapped cars could pass the safety car, then all lapped cars should pass the safety car.

If I was Toto, I'd be protesting the hell out of that inconsistency!
    Regards,

Duncan