Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 Racing

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Mercedes seem to have messed up strategy a few times this season.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Thoughts on the weekend? Is Mercedes losing their strategic edge? Sad seeing Hamilton on the podium surrounded by Red Bull celebrants.
    I'm glad Red Bull is doing well, and now look forward to Ferrari and Mclaren getting up to the same level, and making it a 4-team (8-driver) race.

IMO the big race (that the commentators missed) was Riciardo / Norris. they must have overtaken each other half a dozen times or more.

Alonso and Vettel were surprises. Note that Alonso buried Ocon.

Driver of the day could just as easily have gone to Stroll, who started at the back and (just) finished in the points. Or Tsunoda, who started at the back and finished 13th.

Russell did pretty okay, given his under-performing car. I didn't see what happened, but he fell way back early in the race and had to claw his way back up to 12th.

BUT - to your point:

Yes, Merc blew it on strategy. And why T F did they not bring Bottas in for soft tires in the 3rd or 4th last lap, to get the fastest lap extra point?
    Regards,

Duncan

Sad seeing Hamilton on the podium surrounded by Red Bull celebrants.
    Why? I get sick of seeing one team and/or driver dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    IMO the big race (that the commentators missed) was Ricciardo / Norris. they must have overtaken each other half a dozen times or more.
    I didn't even really notice. But there was so much action going on at the front, I paid little attention to the rest of the pack.

Yes, Merc blew it on strategy. And why T F did they not bring Bottas in for soft tires in the 3rd or 4th last lap, to get the fastest lap extra point?
    But what were they supposed to do with Lewis? Max already showed he had the pace to lead and then pitted from that lead which, with the power of the undercut, would have left Lewis even farther back than he was, if he pitted too. Leaving him out was their best option, I thought, given the circumstances. And don't forget, the #1 rule in F1 is not giving up the lead. What surprised me was Max's mediums not going off more than they did, given the high deg of the tires, and I figured Max would catch him but then wouldn't be able to pass. Apparently, Lewis' tires were in really bad shape by that point.

I wondered later what compounds Pirelli brought given that the hards didn't last long enough. I don't recall them saying, tho. After checking, they were C2-C4. So that's a surprise.

As for Bottas, I wondered that myself. But remember when they investigated Perez and Bottas and then reported no further action? Mercedes thought Perez was going to get a five second penalty for going off the track in his pass of Bottas. The stewards ruled Perez didn't gain a "lasting advantage" so he wasn't penalized and then it was just too late, for Merc/Bottas, I guess.

I don't think Mercedes really did anything wrong, as far as Lewis is concerned. Altho, they probably should have pitted Bottas a second time when Perez began closing in, especially when Bottas had told them it should be a two-stop race. Then he could have done the same as Max and maybe caught Perez at the end. Then again Perez going so long on the first stint meant his tires were in good shape at the end.

As for how Red Bull handled Max's strategy, I think they did everything right, for a change. As I said, pitting from the lead is generally a huge mistake (other than the first stop). I think maybe RB pitted Max figuring Mercedes would pit Lewis too. Had they waited a few laps, Mercedes might have pitted Lewis before RB pitted Max and then Max would have been a sitting duck. The fact that RB brought him in - especially as early as they did - forced Mercedes into staying out.

Ultimately, I think RB had Mercedes covered.

I think the biggest mistake made this weekend was by me in not recording the race because I'd love to go watch it again, right now.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Why? I get sick of seeing one team and/or driver dominate.

I think the biggest mistake made this weekend was by me in not recording the race because I'd love to go watch it again, right now.
    I was happy to see RB up their celebrating, just looked sad to see Lewis being the fourth leg of a three-legged stool.

I signed up for the F1 channel because I WOULD forget to record.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Ran across old video of F1, this time from British Pathé. I'm sure it's on YouTube but I haven't been able to find it, yet. But here it is on Facebook: https://fb.watch/v/12v6tPg0b/

There are a bunch of old F1 videos of Pathé clips on YouTube, too: https://www.youtube.com/c/britishpat...=Formula%20One

And here's a really nice retrospective of Jimmy Clark:

Here's a cool video comparing the different types of race cars + MotoGP:

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Ran across old video of F1, this time from British Pathé. I'm sure it's on YouTube but I haven't been able to find it, yet. But here it is on Facebook:
    Here's a cool video comparing the different types of race cars + MotoGP:

Very interesting!

Le Mans is later than usual this year (8/21)
    Regards,

Duncan

Very interesting!

Le Mans is later than usual this year (8/21)
    Agree, I enjoyed that a lot.

I've been watching this kid in Indy Car this year. He is the real deal:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclare...PktKn9FgJjxYHk

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I've been watching this kid in Indy Car this year. He is the real deal:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclare...PktKn9FgJjxYHk
    Yep - I've been aware of him since the cyber/virtual/fake/PC-gamer/simulator "races" that occurred in the early days of the pandemic - and then watched him in more recent grown-up/real-world races.

He looks good!
    Regards,

Duncan

Attention race fans.

This weekend is the Styrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, German.

Carry on.

Attention race fans.

This weekend is the Styrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, German.

Carry on.
    FP1 and FP2 are already on the DVR
    Regards,

Duncan

Comments by the commentators during FP2:

Drive To Survive is filming again, with a side episode all about Mazepin.

It's a spin-off!

Regards,

Duncan

I saw some YouTube video that compiled all the drivers' radio comments about Mazepin. Apparently, no one likes him.

OMG! I recorded qualifying, for once, and as I was watching it just now, just after Lewis crossed the line for his second run, the recording ended! WTF? Fortunately, there was hardly anything left and I was able to finish it on Formula1.com.

You know, I almost extended the recording but I thought, "it's qualifying, they don't run long."

Never again!

But, boy, that was a hell of a qualifying session!

OMG! I recorded qualifying, for once, and as I was watching it just now, just after Lewis crossed the line for his second run, the recording ended! WTF? Fortunately, there was hardly anything left and I was able to finish it on Formula1.com.

You know, I almost extended the recording but I thought, "it's qualifying, they don't run long."

Never again!

But, boy, that was a hell of a qualifying session!
    My DVR is programmed to record each free practice, qualifying, and the race - with an extra 90 minutes at the end. And for the race itself I also record the 3 or 4 programs scheduled to come after the race.

I've lost too many race finishes in events that were delayed by red-flags etc.
    Regards,

Duncan

Back when I actually had cable, I did the same, extending my recordings by 30 minutes or 60 minutes (I forget which). But then I'd also watch it at the same time, usually starting within 45 minutes after the race started. And if I saw it was a wet weather race, I'd modify the recording to go 1½ hours past the scheduled end time.

These days, I only record the race if it's in east Asia or Australia. Otherwise, I watch them live. I'm up anyway.

The race wasn't exciting - and terrible that the leaders lapped the majority of the field.

No excuse for Bottas to drop so far behind Hamilton.

I'm becoming disillusions / disappointed by Ricciardo, though I've always been excited by Norris - who is (along with Russell and LeClerc) one of the most exciting prospects for the next decade.
    Regards,

Duncan

Red Bull have a faster car than Mercedes. I was reading an article today on the BBC that due the research budget restrictions Mercedes have essentially stopped developing this years car while Red Bull continue to fine tune. Expect to continue to see RB having the edge.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Great qualifying session this morning. Alto, Alonso got robbed.

Anyone else, besides me, keep finding themselves rooting for Norris and Russell?

Me too, big fan of Norris and Russell
    Ian

Great qualifying session this morning. Alto, Alonso got robbed.
    Vettel has a 3 position penalty in the next race for that.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Me too, big fan of Norris and Russell
    Interesting :

McLaren is appealing Norris's 5-second penalty.

Red Bull is supporting McLaren in that, despite the fact that it was their driver Norris tangled with!

The future of the sport rests with Verstappen, Norris, Russell, Sainz, and LeClerc ... IMHO
    Regards,

Duncan

Verstappen is making it look easy, but that is creating great drama 2-5 and often 6-15. Love the Perez LeClerc battles yesterday, as well as the Ric trying, but ultimately failing, to hold off Ferrari.

The Red Bull is clearly better than the Mercedes at the moment and Verstappen and Hamilton are better than Botas and Perez.
    Ian

Verstappen is making it look easy, but that is creating great drama 2-5 and often 6-15. Love the Perez LeClerc battles yesterday, as well as the Ric trying, but ultimately failing, to hold off Ferrari.
    The announcers didn't seem to notice - Ricciardo started way back, and worked his way up the field very successfully - in possibly his best drive since joining McLaren.
    Regards,

Duncan

The announcers didn't seem to notice - Ricciardo started way back, and worked his way up the field very successfully - in possibly his best drive since joining McLaren.
    They did mention a few times that Ric is "Mr. Sunday" and if he would straighten out his Saturdays he could land on the podium.