Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Steve Wilson to mix Hawkwind in 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    To suggest that analog master tapes from the 70s were inherently "dirty" is simply not a premise with which I am inclined to agree.
    I think for this metaphor to work, the 'dirt' would be not on the analogue master but the vinyl, tube amps etc. that adds 'warmth'.

Let me give you a thought experiment: it's the year 2050 and all the audiophiles are out trying to source vintage Beats By Dre. The argument is that these headphones introduced a colour to the sound that was being dialled in for every master, and that vintage Hip Hop should only be listened to on Beats.

Now I'd argue that just because people at one era listened predominantly through a particular set of equipment doesn't mean that that colouration was desirable to the original artist. Recording engineers have to live with the likelihood of music being played through the bloated bass of a mass-market headphone in the same way that people recording onto wax cylinders had to account for the reproduction limitations of their time.

So that analogue, vinyl warmth will always have its supporters (because in many cases that's how they remember the music) but there will also be a compelling argument to opt for the sort of 'high information' presentation that you can get from a remix, and especially from a multichannel remix.

And, within the tolerances that yes it's a digital remix, it seems to me that SW often shows exceptional fidelity to the original recording, to the extent that, for example, his Thick As A Brick sounds, overall, pretty close. I suppose it helps that he's a big vinyl fan himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    I think for this metaphor to work, the 'dirt' would be not on the analogue master but the vinyl, tube amps etc. that adds 'warmth'.

Let me give you a thought experiment: it's the year 2050 and all the audiophiles are out trying to source vintage Beats By Dre. The argument is that these headphones introduced a colour to the sound that was being dialled in for every master, and that vintage Hip Hop should only be listened to on Beats.

Now I'd argue that just because people at one era listened predominantly through a particular set of equipment doesn't mean that that colouration was desirable to the original artist. Recording engineers have to live with the likelihood of music being played through the bloated bass of a mass-market headphone in the same way that people recording onto wax cylinders had to account for the reproduction limitations of their time.

So that analogue, vinyl warmth will always have its supporters (because in many cases that's how they remember the music) but there will also be a compelling argument to opt for the sort of 'high information' presentation that you can get from a remix, and especially from a multichannel remix.

And, within the tolerances that yes it's a digital remix, it seems to me that SW often shows exceptional fidelity to the original recording, to the extent that, for example, his Thick As A Brick sounds, overall, pretty close. I suppose it helps that he's a big vinyl fan himself.
    You're making an argument that I'm not making. Forget all the "colors" that you describe and look at it this way:

If all things are the same, a master tape transferred to redbook or hi-res will sound better than multiracks used to make that mix transferred into a PC, remixed and then transferred to redbook or hi-res.

Even if the remix was somehow 100% identical to the original mix, I just don't think he has the equipment to pull off what he is trying to accomplish. And it strikes me as utterly unnecessary as in nearly every case of things he's worked on, the original mix was already very good or excellent.

I simply don't think his process works very well. If he really wants to be this "remix guru," then he should at least consider investing in a decent 16 track board and attempt to enter the field of really working with tapes at a mixing desk. That his clients are too "out of the loop" to think that a guy can take their old recordings and remix them in a computer to somehow "improve" them is not surprising, because most musicians aren't audio engineers. But some of the listening public knows the difference. I count myself in that latter group, but as I say, others will surely hear it differently.

Maybe he should read his email or answer his phone a little more often

If anyone's on the fence about seeing the upcoming Hawkwind shows which will feature the full Warrior album, please go see them. We had the premier and a repeat last weekend at the HawkEaster weekend in Seaton, and it was a indeed special. The band said they had a lot of trepidation going in to it, but Sunday morning they were extremely positive on how they pulled it of. To the current lineup, they had the sax player form the Polish band Hipiersonik and Dead Fred from Krankschaft augmenting. It was a great interpretation of the album, very much modernized to the current lineup's sonic attack!

527241_363129353797944_1541006586_n.jpg
    * note lyrics to Demented Man attached to microphone!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Space Cadet
    Cool pic! I'd love to see Hawkwind in any incarnation (never have). I did see Nik Turner with Spaceseed several years ago and that was great...Nik has to be one of the nicest people on the planet. Shame they can't "get the band back together" for these Warrior jaunts.

Any reviews on the mothership.....

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Any reviews on the mothership.....
    Not a review from me (haven't listened to it enough yet and I don't know the original album) but I've heard enough to say that the surround mix is very good indeed to my ears. Given the earlier discussion, I'll be interested to A/B the remaster of the original stereo mix against the remix, but I already think that I'll be listening to this on 5.1 from here on out.

Looks like Cleopatra has licensed this for the Americas...

Audio CD (July 2, 2013)
    Original Release Date: 2013
    Number of Discs: 4
    Label: Cleopatra
    ASIN: B00CP4S3YO

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Looks like Cleopatra has licensed this for the Americas...

Audio CD (July 2, 2013)
    Original Release Date: 2013
    Number of Discs: 4
    Label: Cleopatra
    ASIN: B00CP4S3YO
    Not quite the case, they are just taking our physical copies and we are using their distro channels. We have done it with a few albums . Nothing has been licensed out to USA. The only titles where we have any kind of an arrangement like that are Squackett and Todd Rundgren-State--both with MVD where we have a manufacturing and distribution deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Toka View Post
    Cool pic! I'd love to see Hawkwind in any incarnation (never have). I did see Nik Turner with Spaceseed several years ago and that was great...Nik has to be one of the nicest people on the planet. Shame they can't "get the band back together" for these Warrior jaunts.
    i read from an inside source that they are coming to north america this fall. first time for a tour in 15-20 years. apparently so far there are 10 u.s. dates and 4 canadian dates.

as for the 5.1 it's utterly sublime.

Space Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    i read from an inside source that they are coming to north america this fall. first time for a tour in 15-20 years. apparently so far there are 10 u.s. dates and 4 canadian dates.

as for the 5.1 it's utterly sublime.
    I've heard similar rumblings (Philly venue already on hold). October-ish. Plus another band I'd love to see, though I don't think they are part of the same bill.

Okay, got my copy of the box set yesterday in the mail. Thank you Vicky again!

I just gave the 5.1 mix a once over, but gotta say it was late and after watching the Blackhawks game, so it was a cursory listen at best, but holy cow, it really suites the music. Sound was everywhere...

But the box itself is such an amazing reissue, I got again thank Esoteric for an amazing job. Album sized, it contains a vinyl edition of the album, that's a transfer of the original two-track master, housed in the "shield" gatefold sleeve of the original UK release. Beautiful. Next in the box was a copy of the American promo poster for the album, a booklet with an informative essay from Malcome Dome, some postcards, a ticket replica from a US show, and three disc. First two CDs are the original mix, with lots of bonus tracks, and the new Steve Wilson stereo mix, with more bonus tracks. The DVD contains Wilson's 5.1 mix, a HD version of the stereo mix, and a flat transfer of the original stereo mix, along with other bonus tracks. Phew, that's a lot of music to plough through, and I can't wait to start ploughing! That credit for one Charles Schneider may have been meant for Charles Snider however...

I've said elsewhere in these threads that if you've every wanted to get into Hawkwind but don't know where to start, I can't think of a better album than Warrior. It's really a high-water mark for the band, and encapsulates best the ethos of the 70s group. Don't worry, there's a single remaster edition, and a 3 disc version with the two CDs and 5.1 DVD as well.

HEre's a good look at it:

hawkwind played at friars in Aylesbury recently, the venue was one of the most important in the uk progressive rock scene in the 70s, Hawkwind became the first and to date only band to play at the four different venues used by friars club. two weeks ago I saw steve Hackett there and in November marillion will be performing( their home town) so still an excellent venue for the prog rock scene

Space Cadet
    I received my box today...absolutely gorgeous! Amazing job by everyone at Atomhenge/Esoteric. You rule Vicky!

Looking forward to an early end of the workweek and a nice, long, relaxing evening.

i agree with strawberrybrick, warrior is a great starting place for newbies.

I guess it's sold out already.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    HEre's a good look at it
    That's priceless. "I'm witterin' on...I'm whingein' again..."

I just ordered the 3 disc set from Amazon today, nice price too , only 24.04 although I see now that they raised it to 25.10, still not bad. I am really looking forward to hearing what I consider to be the best album from Hawkwind in 5.1 .

Just to clarify...is this upcoming U.S. tour you are referring to Dave Brock or Nik Turner's Hawkwind? I had heard about Nik Turner touring in the fall as Nik Turner's Hawkwind (sigh), but was wondering if you knew about something different?
    Last edited by Eli Friedman; 06-08-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Quoting the contextual source for my question

Dave Brock makes a quip about coming to the USA in a recent video, posted to Hawkwind's facebook page

Edit on Monday: Hawkwind Facebook page says:

"Okay, we give in.....some very exciting tour dates about to be announced for October ;-)"
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 06-10-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Just watched the cheap watch, expensive watch video.... priceless! I'm a new Lock fan