Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Echolyn binge

It's a hit and miss affair.. I'd love to hear a current Weston solo record.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

There's a couple songs I often skip, but I love This is My Halo.

"Little Thing" and "8.17.02" are two of my favorite things Ray's been involved in. "The Most Violent, The Beautiful" is up there too.

I've been a fan since As The World in the mid-90s, but my favourite of theirs (I think) is the 2012 self-titled.

Years ago, I bought the 3-CD set A Little Nonsense Now And Then in order to get the debut album which is long OOP and was the only one I didn't have.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've been a fan since As The World in the mid-90s, but my favourite of theirs (I think) is the 2012 self-titled.

Years ago, I bought the 3-CD set A Little Nonsense Now And Then in order to get the debut album which is long OOP and was the only one I didn't have.
    Ah man, I really liked that 3-disc box of A Little Nonsense.... Had some very cool stuff on it, and I believe the self-titled debut was remastered for that edition wasn't it?

I need to dust that one off and listen again, as it has been a looooong time since I last heard it.

Yes, Echolyn, ...And Every Blossom and When The Sweet Turns Sour were all remastered around that time for that set.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Anyone here a fan of Ray Weston's "This Is My Halo"? Depressing as hell, but a great little album.
    "The Most Violent, The Beautiful" is such a tearjerker, worth getting for that song alone

Kull's Orangish-Blue is also quite good. Sort of a simple pop disc but the tunes are excellent. I think he's got a new one out now.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I did as i said a couple nights ago and listened to God Pounds His Nails by Always Almost. I don't have the album Still but based on God Pounds i think this is a transitional period that leads into the "new", re-birthed echolyn sound of Cowboy Poems. I really dig the stripped down arrangements, more plaintive lyrical content, Paul's more relaxed groove based drumming, Brett exploring more slide guitar and digital whammy sounds. Great stuff and i would be real excited to hear if they release an updated version of this project.

Someone said earlier that Brett's guitar style serves the song - to which i would agree and add that he can burn with the rest of them if needed but i prefer those more melodic solos that "serve the song". His guitar work is among my favorites.

Last night i decided to dig a little deeper and gave Ray Weston's - Picking Bones a spin, been quite a long time since i've heard it. Kind of a mix of Mr Bungle-ish, industrial-ish (Ministry?) kind of stuff. Sounds overall like a fun demo project (this was never an actual intended release - but kindly made available as more food for completist) that yielded one song that ended up on This is My Halo (title of which escapes me).

That only means i'm gonna have to dive into Halo next.

Never heard of Picking Bones. Sounds interesting.