Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ghost-"new" vocalist introduced

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Here is some pretty good video from last night's show:

Looks like touring with Iron Maiden has resulted in Tobias upping their showmanship to an even higher level. How was the sound? When I saw them open for Maiden the bass and the keys overwhelmed the guitars (though the entire show was painfully loud). But when I play the live CD, everything sounds proper.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I wore my Blue Oyster Cult On Tour Forever T-shirt to the show. I saw at least one other BOC shirt, and lots of of other bands. Ghost draws a really diverse crowd.
    I hear a lot of BOC influence in their music

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Looks like touring with Iron Maiden has resulted in Tobias upping their showmanship to an even higher level. How was the sound? When I saw them open for Maiden the bass and the keys overwhelmed the guitars (though the entire show was painfully loud). But when I play the live CD, everything sounds proper.
    The sound was just ok, but this venue is not the best for acoustics, so I didn't really expect it to be all that great.

Love Ghost. Their new songs crack me up...Catchy too.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    I hear a lot of BOC influence in their music
    Unfortunately from the declining B.O.C. period; from "Spectres" and onwards...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Boys and Girls........we have a new papa:

Blessed be his name
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Boys and Girls........we have a new papa:
    That joke is worn out...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    That joke is worn out...
    For you perhaps. I find it cheezily entertaining.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    For you perhaps. I find it cheezily entertaining.
    Exactly, and it has become a tradition at the last show of each tour cycle to introduce a "new" lead singer. The band will be on hiatus the rest of the year.

Tobias covers the Stones:

The band will be on hiatus the rest of the year.
    Was that good timing or what?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Was that good timing or what?
    Yes, he was planning to take the year off to write new material anyway, so it worked out perfectly. They are supposed to have a new one out later this year.

Yes, he was planning to take the year off to write new material anyway, so it worked out perfectly. They are supposed to have a new one out later this year.
    I find these guys incredibly fun. Gimmick and all...just works for me. Not to mention some damn good hooks and melodies. I hear they're a great live band. One day...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I find these guys incredibly fun. Gimmick and all...just works for me. Not to mention some damn good hooks and melodies. I hear they're a great live band. One day...
    I have seen them 3 times and they are fantastic live. Tobias is a great front man and vocalist. His in between songs stage banter is often hilarious too. The band has expanded over the years. On the last tour they had 3 guitarists, 2 keyboard players, bass & drums for a very full sound.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Tobias must feel really screwed by COVID-19, because it seemed like the band was reaching a certain point of critical mass, where they were about to get really popular and take touring and their production to a new level, and also sell a load of whatever their next album is. It will still happen, but having to wait however long it takes probably really upsets him (understandably). Steven Wilson probably feels similarly, plus he has the new wife and dog to support.

I've never seen Ghost, and would like to, but I suspect if I get the chance, the shows will be bigger and more packed than ever (and in bigger venues), and it might feel like a less "cool" experience for me. Of course, they're not really the type of band that is best served by an intimate show, I think, so it might be fine. I'd just like to be close enough to see things clearly, though, so the hassle-factor will be up there.

This is sort of how I felt the one time I saw The Mars Volta. I felt like one of the oldest people in the crowd, and I was probably in my early-40s. I couldn't really make out faces at all! That kind of sucked. This was their tour for Frances the Mute, at Roseland in NYC.

One good thing...the next album should be killer, having all this time to write and record it.

Have they been releasing any more "teaser" videos or anything interesting? I would have expected some kind of "filler" EP to come out around now or this past Summer, to keep the fans simmering. Their song "Rats" is excellent, and the video for that is probably one of my all-time favorite music videos. A perfect slice of Grand Guignol rock.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Tobias must feel really screwed by COVID-19, because it seemed like the band was reaching a certain point of critical mass, where they were about to get really popular and take touring and their production to a new level, and also sell a load of whatever their next album is. It will still happen, but having to wait however long it takes probably really upsets him (understandably). Steven Wilson probably feels similarly, plus he has the new wife and dog to support.

I've never seen Ghost, and would like to, but I suspect if I get the chance, the shows will be bigger and more packed than ever (and in bigger venues), and it might feel like a less "cool" experience for me. Of course, they're not really the type of band that is best served by an intimate show, I think, so it might be fine. I'd just like to be close enough to see things clearly, though, so the hassle-factor will be up there.

This is sort of how I felt the one time I saw The Mars Volta. I felt like one of the oldest people in the crowd, and I was probably in my early-40s. I couldn't really make out faces at all! That kind of sucked. This was their tour for Frances the Mute, at Roseland in NYC.

One good thing...the next album should be killer, having all this time to write and record it.

Have they been releasing any more "teaser" videos or anything interesting? I would have expected some kind of "filler" EP to come out around now or this past Summer, to keep the fans simmering. Their song "Rats" is excellent, and the video for that is probably one of my all-time favorite music videos. A perfect slice of Grand Guignol rock.
    I don't think COVID has hurt them that much. At the end of the last tour, in interviews Tobias had said that his plan was to take the entire 2020 off in order to both write new material and just get a break, so I think the pandemic fit right into his plans. On the other hand, I think 2021 was going to be when he / they really hit the ground running again, so depending on how long this all lasts, it could hurt their momentum.

I have seen the band 3 times. The first time in a 1500 seat theater here in my hometown. The 2nd time was opening for Iron Maiden at a 20,000-seat outdoor shed in Chicago. The most recent was at a 4000-seat arena in Grand Rapids MI. All 3 shows were great, with the most recent show having the biggest production. I can’t say that I have felt out of place at any of their shows. The age range is all over the place. There are plenty of young people at the shows, but also a lot of old geezers walking around with Blue Oyster Cult or Alice Cooper T-shirts. I went with a group of 5 of us last time, and none of us were under 55.

I am not aware of any additional teaser videos being released, but the new album is supposed to be out sometime later this year.

US tour announced. Co-headlining arena trek with Volbeat. Planning on being at the Grand Rapids MI show: https://ghost-official.com/

Another funny video released:

Brand new music from Ghost from the “Halloween Kills” movie soundtrack. This one features Fredrik Akesson from Opeth on guitar.

COVID-19 has probably fucked with Ghost's plans plenty, but they seem to have weathered it ok so far. They should have done a video where Papa, his sister (or his Aunt?), and a couple of others were having a Zoom meeting, or wearing masks, or something.

ALL during COVID I've thought of the line from their song Rats:

In times of turmoil
    In times like these
    Beliefs contagious
    Spreading disease

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    COVID-19 has probably fucked with Ghost's plans plenty, but they seem to have weathered it ok so far. They should have done a video where Papa, his sister (or his Aunt?), and a couple of others were having a Zoom meeting, or wearing masks, or something.

ALL during COVID I've thought of the line from their song Rats:

In times of turmoil
    In times like these
    Beliefs contagious
    Spreading disease
    They did release the video in #96 of this thread which was kind of a zoom meeting, but yea I get what you are saying. Actually I think COVID may have worked out pretty well for Tobias as he had planned to take all of 2020 off anyway to write new music and re-charge which I assume he did. No news on a full new album yet, but the tour is booked so I am assuming it is probably coming soon. I have tix to see them in Grand Rapids MI in February.

I'm a deist, though admittedly I possess an agnostic streak a mile wide, and there are quite a few sentiments that I've heard/read from atheists throughout this living nightmare that strike the right chord with my apolitical psyche. When extremists (whether they be right, left, north, or south), take it upon themselves to dictate what constitutes freeDUMB in what's left of our once great country, the results can be catastrophic. (Steps off soapbox while ducking. I apologize.)
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

This just came up in my YT feed. Love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD2m_iqD7dI

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This just came up in my YT feed. Love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD2m_iqD7dI
    I've only listened to it once, but it seems pretty good. The last one turned out to be pretty catchy, so probably this one will too.
    Jerol, don't you know how to embed a YouTube link?