Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghost-"new" vocalist introduced

Is that really Tobias/Cardinal dancing in Rats? WTF?!?! Also, is that makeup or a mask he's got on?

If Tobias Forge really writes most of the music he must be fairly accomplished on guitar and keys. There's a fair amount of music in those four minute tunes. Not to the extent of where it's prog, but in comparison to today's popular music it is still a lot going on.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I couldn't tell for sure if that was makeup or a mask either. But there are a few facial movements that are pretty subtle so I'm thinking some kind of heavy makeup and a glaze or something. The dancing is weird, but kind of cool. BTW, in the Citrice video it's a kid in Papa's makeup playing his part, because it's supposed to be a school talent contest.

I enjoy a lot of their music but I would rather see them wear street clothes. The whole shtick with the make up and the fake names got old after the first time I saw them. They don't need the gimmicks, they have some good music.

^^ In general Iím not a fan of too much costume/makeup schtick either. But from what Iíve seen so far, Ghost inject enough humor into it all that along with the whole idea of a Satanic version of the Catholic Church it works for me.

Iím really digging the new song.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    I enjoy a lot of their music but I would rather see them wear street clothes. The whole shtick with the make up and the fake names got old after the first time I saw them. They don't need the gimmicks, they have some good music.
    No way, it would be like seeing Kiss without their makeup and they proved that to be a failure.

There are people on their FB page who are totally turned off by Cardinal Copiaís dancing, the new song (Rats) not being metal enough, etc. and are just calling it quits. Itís pretty funny.

I heard "Rats" on the radio last night. Knowing nothing about the band, (but knowing there was this thread about them, here) I was intrigued when the DJ talked about the "new" vocalist. He didn't go into detail, but I loved the song, and the mystery around this band is intriguing.

I'll be digging into Jed's links later, methinks. These guys seem really interesting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I heard "Rats" on the radio last night. Knowing nothing about the band, (but knowing there was this thread about them, here) I was intrigued when the DJ talked about the "new" vocalist. He didn't go into detail, but I loved the song, and the mystery around this band is intriguing.

I'll be digging into Jed's links later, methinks. These guys seem really interesting.
    At all costs DO NOT listen to this track and get this earworm in your head. It will never leave. I was driving around the Twin Cities with my wife and one of our best friends, a woman who listens to nothing but metal and hard rock. She had her sat radio tuned to a metal station and this came on. We both shouted "Square Hammer" at the same time and cranked it up. My wife, a James Taylor fan, somewhat tolerated it.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ I definitely find their songs very catchy. Had another listen to Rats just a little while ago and can't get it out of my head. "They're still coming after you. There is nothing you can do." So cool. Also the little bit of clavinet or whatever it is near the end.

From this studio video with Papa Emeritus II "dressed down" for the event, as the notes say, you can see that he's wearing a prosthetic mask, and I guess miming?

Looks like Tony Levin!

Here's an older performance on Colbert - I have my doubts on how live this is, there's backing vocals but no one singing them. But great theatrics.

^^ Wow, thatís very cool, and Colbert was dressed in a gothic getup to introduce them, wasnít he? Cool they were on his show!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Is that really Tobias/Cardinal dancing in Rats? WTF?!?! Also, is that makeup or a mask he's got on?

If Tobias Forge really writes most of the music he must be fairly accomplished on guitar and keys. There's a fair amount of music in those four minute tunes. Not to the extent of where it's prog, but in comparison to today's popular music it is still a lot going on.
    It looks to me like a latex prosthetic. When applied properly, they do allow for quite a bit of facial movement underneath.
    And, I would guess it is him dancing. When I saw then live, it was evident that he had at least some degree of stage acting/dancing classes, just by the care of his movements and poses. He's quite a well rounded performer.

^ I donít think Jerjo was doubting it was Tobias dancing, he was just surprised. And like I said, some people just donít like him dancing like that, but I think itís very funny.

I think youíre right itís a prosthetic mask.

https://www.history.com/news/ask-his...plague-of-1518

That 'Rats' tune is catchy as hell and that ending riff should satisfy any metal fan. Loved the video too
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    https://www.history.com/news/ask-his...plague-of-1518

That 'Rats' tune is catchy as hell and that ending riff should satisfy any metal fan. Loved the video too

And I hadn't thought of the dancing plague thingy as an explanation for Cardinal Copia's funny dancing, but it makes perfect sense! Thanks for that.

Here's this, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantella#Tarantism

Music appeared to be the only means of combating the strange epidemic [...] lively, shrill tunes, played on trumpets and fifes, excited the dancers; soft, calm harmonies, graduated from fast to slow, high to low, prove efficacious for the cure.

Sounds like prog to me!

I always thought this one was about the dancing plague.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbvYmld3kkA

Not sure if I like this character or not. The song is not as catchy as "Square Hammer", but I like it.

I stumbled upon this video from a few years ago where Tobias also appears to be wearing some kind of prosthetic mask. Had not seen this one before.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not sure if I like this character or not. The song is not as catchy as "Square Hammer", but I like it.
    Give it a couple more listens - It's equally catchy to me now. Did you watch the videos I linked further up, where Papa Emeritus 0 and the "nun" are discussing him, and then he comes to meet them? Funny, and an important intro to the singer, IMO.

Here you go:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...l=1#post797297

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Give it a couple more listens - It's equally catchy to me now. Did you watch the videos I linked further up, where Papa Emeritus 0 and the "nun" are discussing him, and then he comes to meet them? Funny, and an important intro to the singer, IMO.

Here you go:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...l=1#post797297
    Agree, the song is definitely growing on me with more listens, and I watched the video. Funny stuff.

This is from earlier in the month, but is kind of interesting:

From Wikipedia about the recording of their album Infestissumam (catchy title, eh?):

They did have difficulties in the Nashville area; because of their Satanic lyrics the band could not find a choir to perform on their record. Even individual choristers turned down the work. The band said, "Then we told them what they were supposed to sing, and one of the guys almost cried, he took offense; it was really weird ... So we ended up recording the choir in Hollywood, where people have no problem with worshipping the Devil."

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    From Wikipedia about the recording of their album Infestissumam (catchy title, eh?):

They did have difficulties in the Nashville area; because of their Satanic lyrics the band could not find a choir to perform on their record. Even individual choristers turned down the work. The band said, "Then we told them what they were supposed to sing, and one of the guys almost cried, he took offense; it was really weird ... So we ended up recording the choir in Hollywood, where people have no problem with worshipping the Devil."

LOL!
    Not totally surprising. I would guess the bible belt might have a problem with the choir chorus of "Monstrance Clock" (which is typically the band's encore). As with everything Ghost it is all done tongue in cheek, but to the novice I would guess there would be people not willing to sing it.

Ghost is satanic garbage. Their music is melodic and catchy somewhat, but nothing special. Their gimmick will bite them in the @$$ in ways they donít yet imagine.