Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DREGS binge

DREGS binge

I've been on a Dregs binge ramping up to the show in 2 weeks in PHX

I gotta say, Allen Sloan is criminally underrated

please tell me they are playing Odyssey on the tour...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

heh... forgot why I started this thread in the first place!

I wanted to know what Dregs fans feel are their 'top 5' tunes

this binge is getting me more familiar with all their albums than I ever was back in the 80s

Odyssey
    I'm Freaking Out
    Travel Tunes
    Country House Shuffle
    TBD
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Ice Cakes
    night Meets Light
    Odyssey
    Twiggs Approved
    Vitamin Q
    Last edited by nosebone; 04-08-2018 at 10:06 AM.

Odyssey
    Night Meets Light
    What If
    Ice Cakes
    Long Slow Distance

Take It Off The Top
    I'm Freakin' Out
    Vitamin Q
    Divided We Stand
    Crank It Up

Hereafter
    Odyssey
    Ice Cakes
    Wages of Weirdness
    Cruise Control

The other day, I listened to every Dregs album through Industry Standard on the Light Rail round trip from Mesa to Downtown Phoenix.
    My List:
    Rock & Roll Park (love T's sax solo)
    Road Expense
    Leprechaun Promenade
    Cruise Control (both the original raw, proggy version on Free Fall, and the refined version on Unsung Heroes)
    Odyssey
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I gotta say, Allen Sloan is criminally underrated
    I've always felt this way about Andy West. I don't know if Steve wrote the bass lines for all his tunes, or if Andy came up with his own lines? But he played some great stuff.

I can't pick only 5 tunes, so I'll mention Ice Cakes. This tune pretty much encapsulates everything the Dregs are about (funk/rock/symphonic/humor) and the diversity of Morse's guitar playing.

What If, and Conversation Piece for the lyricism.

Kat Food, because it's so damn funky, and the solos are great.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I've always felt this way about Andy West. I don't know if Steve wrote the bass lines for all his tunes, or if Andy came up with his own lines? But he played some great stuff.

I can't pick only 5 tunes, so I'll mention Ice Cakes. This tune pretty much encapsulates everything the Dregs are about (funk/rock/symphonic/humor) and the diversity of Morse's guitar playing.

What If, and Conversation Piece for the lyricism.

Kat Food, because it's so damn funky, and the solos are great.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Pick any five at random from What If and that's my Top 5.
    The Prog Corner

tomorrow night

DREGS IN PHX!!!

so psyched

Day 444 just KILLS me. Beautifully composed, the piano solo is on of T's best and Morse closes it at his epic best. I could listen over and over...
    Edited to say that T's piano riff at 4:12 is one of the most badass things ever.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Odyssey
    I'm Freaking Out
    Kat Food
    What If
    Night Meets Light

But ask me tomorrow and I will pick another 5. I'm Freaking Out is like their Magnum Opus. Maybe their longest tune too... Hereafter is a big fave too. Love that 12 string.

I just saw them in Sacramento a few nights ago (see other DD thread), so I've been listening to them a lot lately. Pulled out all my CDs and ripped them to my computer, and realized I have a couple of things of interest. 1: I have The Best Of The Dregs Divided We Stand compilation, which some of you may have, but have you noticed that the track Take It Off The Top is a "Newly recorded version - previously commercially unavailable"?

DD Divided.jpg

And 2: Dregs - Off The Record, a promo disc intended to show off Ensoniq keyboards, it contains 2 songs rerecorded for the session, Leprechaun Promenade and Take It Off The Top. The third track is an interview of a couple of the guys discussing the keyboards used.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=13613

DD Off The Record.jpg

Edit: SecondSpin has one copy left of the DWS comp for $4: https://www.secondspin.com/s/product...d#.WtyQxkxFyM8

great info! I'll hafta hunt those down

one thing that I noticed on my Dregs binge is that the production/mastering of Full Circle is absolutely horrendous. All mid, no bass and no highs. There's some really solid tunes on it but it probably doesnt get a lot of spins by those who own it due to the bad sound quality

one thing that I noticed on my Dregs binge is that the production/mastering of Full Circle is absolutely horrendous. All mid, no bass and no highs. There's some really solid tunes on it but it probably doesnt get a lot of spins by those who own it due to the bad sound quality
    I agree
    I don't consider that a real dregs album either.
    The tunes sound like SMB with keys/violin overdubs.

with Rod and T I think it's legit
    obviously Andy is missed on it, and as much as I love Jerry, it seems like he isnt as present as Allen always is in the Dregs

great info! I'll hafta hunt those down

Hmf. My copy sounds fine. Plenty of bass and cymbals are all there. Weird.

There's no reason FC wouldn't be considered a proper album as much as the others. It was most disappointing that was the only one not represented on the Dawn tour. Never had a problem with the sound either.

the PHX show was fantastic!!!

I'll post a video with snippets of each song to see who can name all of em

ok, here's the whole set in snippets. Who can name every piece?

Dre(d)ging up an old thread, I was talking with a coworker today about the (Dixie) Dregs, and I want to make him a compilation. He's never heard them.

He plays classical guitar, so I kinda want to lean in that direction with the songs. I think he'll really like Night Meets Light.

Recs, please! I would love to turn this guy on to this incredible band. I've got most of their stuff.

TIA

Some classical guitar pieces by the Dregs are Northern Lights, Little Kids, Old World, Go For Baroque, Up In The Air (with Steve Howe). Leprechaun Promenade, and Night Meets Light are good ensemble pieces with a strong classical feel.

Night Meets Light
    Hereafter
    Long Slow Distance
    Day 444
    Conversation Piece

Excellent, thanks, guys.

I didn't know that Howe dueted w/ Morse on Up In The Air. I only have the needle drop of that album, so I haven't seen the credits.