Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uncle Meat (The Movie)

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Well correct me if I'm wrong, but to my ears the original CD (Ryko RCD 10065) was not fucked with by Zappa, other than inserting 41:24 of dialogue from the movie. It sounds like the original mix to me!
    He remixed "Mr. Green Genes" but the rest was the original mix. I understand from those who keep track of such things that it has digital reverb and other signs of 80's mastering though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    The unheard stuff was good, but as someone who still genuflects at the altar of Uncle Meat, it wasn't all that I hoped it would be, personally
    Hearing the outtakes on these Project/Object sets usually leaves me thinking that FZ made the right decisions putting together the original albums. Not always though. For instance the longer "Prelude to King Kong" has some cool stuff after the original version breaks off.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    He remixed "Mr. Green Genes" but the rest was the original mix. I understand from those who keep track of such things that it has digital reverb and other signs of 80's mastering though.
    Reverb is applied during mixing, not mastering, so if there's digital reverb on most (if not all) of the album, then that would mean the entire album was remixed.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Reverb is applied during mixing, not mastering, so if there's digital reverb on most (if not all) of the album, then that would mean the entire album was remixed.
    Not necessarily true.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

And... I don't hear it anyway.

For the 80s version of Uncle Meat the reverb was indeed added during mastering.

Meat Light brings the original analog master as prepared for the original vinyl release to CD for the first time (it sounds incredibly great, far superior to any previous CD issue), in addition to that earlier full album sequence featuring different mixes and some unreleased material, and then a good sized hunk of additional unreleased outtakes/work versions/etc. from the vault. It's beautiful.
    Meat Light is a 100% essential Zappa release sez me.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    For the 80s version of Uncle Meat the reverb was indeed added during mastering.
    OK, I stand corrected. I always had the impression it was a remix that we were talking about.