Thread: Colouratura Signs with Melodic Revolution Records

Colouratura Signs with Melodic Revolution Records

For Immediate Release

Melodic Revolution Records welcomes Wheeling, WV art-rock band Colouratura to their family of musicians.

We will be releasing Colouratura’s sophomore album Unfamiliar Skies in early May 2018 with eight brand new songs that also feature many guests, some well-known others not so well known or new ones on the scene. The CD will be presented in a beautiful 6-panel digipak designed by Eric Kearns (Diratz, Stop Motion Orchestra)

Colouratura Is:
    Nathan James – voice, keyboards, bass, horn
    Ian Beabout – flute, editing, sound design and production

Guest Musicians On Unfamiliar Skies
    Derek Pavlic (Van Gilder)
    Eric Holskey (Sabo Cat, plus many others)
    Dave Newhouse (The Muffins, Diratz, Moonmen, Proletarians)
    Brandon Collins
    Damon Waitkus (Jack o’ the Clock)
    Michael P. Dawson
    Nathan Lestini
    Bret Harold Hart (Diratz, Moonmen)
    Chris Kuskey

In a Statement from the band
    “On the strength of Unfamiliar Skies, Colouratura has signed to Nick Katona’s long-running Melodic Revolution Records label, which will release the album this May (?) (TBD).”

“We’re obviously quite excited to have joined this great progressive label,” said Beabout. “One of the goals with Unfamiliar Skies was we wanted to expand Colouratura’s audience and reach, and having the support that a label provides will in no doubt help us reach our goals.”

“MRR is an eclectic label with a 10-year history of great artists, such as Marco Ragni and Colin Tench. The family atmosphere and team effort will surely help Colouratura grow and thrive.’

In a Statement from the label
    “I first discovered Colouratura through a friend at House of Prog, a popular internet radio station that I DJ for a few days a week. However, I was aware of one of the talented guys (Ian Beabout) in this project who has been a guest musician on a few of our releases. Once I after hearing the pre-masters for Unfamiliar Skies I knew this band had something to offer the world that was just a bit different than what was already flooding Spotify and the like. This album will appeal to all age groups and breaks all the rules when it comes to defining a genre, yet the album Unfamiliar Skies feels fresh and cohesive and I believe it will appeal to the masses rather than the far few and between”

– Nick Katona President @ Melodic Revolution Records

Links:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/colouratura.album/
    MRR Profile Page: https://mrrmusic.com/colouratura/
    (Official Website Coming Soon)

Media Contact:
    Ian Beabout
    Beaboutproductions@gmail.com

Label:
    Melodic Revolution Records
    Nick Katona
    nick@melodicrevolution.com

Nick Katona
    President

Colouratura Unfamiliar Skies .jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Received the CD yesterday. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I just wanted to mention the digipak is really nice. Great art and design, and there's something really nice about the paper stock used, and the coating. I'm sure some people don't care much about that kind of stuff, but I do, and it must be nice for you guys including Nick from MRR, that it's such a nicely-made product. May your recording shed spew forth many such releases!

I will get to the music and let you know what I think...

BTW, I see the track listing on the back is split into two "sides." Intriguing! I'm guessing the track "Vesuvian Tidepools" somehow evokes Pink Floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Received the CD yesterday. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I just wanted to mention the digipak is really nice. Great art and design, and there's something really nice about the paper stock used, and the coating. I'm sure some people don't care much about that kind of stuff, but I do, and it must be nice for you guys including Nick from MRR, that it's such a nicely-made product. May your recording shed spew forth many such releases!

Thanks! Yes, we decided early on that an attractive packaging was crucial to the recording. Attractive inside and out, and hopefully reflective of the music - we wanted the whole piece to be a work of art. I really am eternally grateful that we connected with Eric Kearns (Phlakton) - he listened to our ideas and looked at our rough sketches, and produced something that far exceeded my wildest dreams. I wanted to evoke the ECM jazz impressionistic look and Nate and I both wanted the bird floating belly up like a fish . The fact that Eric took those goofy guidelines and made into something instantly frame-able, and perhaps even iconic, is truly amazing to me. And he also did a wonderful job of incorporating my photography into the design as well.

BTW, I see the track listing on the back is split into two "sides." Intriguing! I'm guessing the track "Vesuvian Tidepools" somehow evokes Pink Floyd?
    Yes, everything about this album is meant to evoke the vinyl experience. From the crackle at the beginning, to the 42 min runtime, to the artwork and flow of the tracks. I'd like to press it to vinyl in a few years, but it's just entirely cost prohibitive at the moment and I can't justify running a gofundme for the same album ... ya dig? I think if we ever got a solid touring lineup (in the VERY early stages ... it has NO guarantee of happening), we might look into pressing vinyl because it would be good to have at the merch table. For now, the record has to find its audience on CD (and eventually streaming)before we can think about wax.

'Vesuvian Tidepools' is my baby. It was constructed via focused drum improvisation that was metered and then edited into 'loops,' to which we overdubbed the 'song' over later. We had 'Kerouac' (a song co written by our friend Chris Kuskey), which is about tripping on acid and feeling like the rocks themselves are judging your life choices, and the narrator has to defend them ... ... and I wanted a krautrock-type headtrip number to supplement it. With a multimovement suite on side 1 (Parallels), I thought it would interesting to have one on side 2 to balance things out a little. In 'Kerouac,' there's the line "I can feel my breakfast kicking in," and by 'Tidepools' it has kicked in fully and now our collective heads' are blowing their tops like Mount Vesuvius.

Pink Floyd? Maybe a little. More CAN (Tago Mago was played for the drummer, Eric Holskey, so he could get the repetitive loopiness I wanted), and XTC ('Travels in Nihilon' / 'It's Nearly Africa') with a little sprinkling on 70s Miles on top.

Kudos, Ian!

Nice to see one of the good guys win for a change!

Got my copy last night but have had a busy schedule so I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to it in the proper way yet.
    I agree with Jed that the artwork fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Kudos, Ian!

Nice to see one of the good guys win for a change!
    Thanks Sean!

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Got my copy last night but have had a busy schedule so I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to it in the proper way yet.
    I agree with Jed that the artwork fantastic!
    Glad to hear it's landed safe and sound!

Very kind words JKL So happy to hear the art is resonating with people. I love that Ian is an old school fan of album gate-folds and visuals swimming along with the listener. The quality of the print on those digipaks is quite nice - I agree... when I did some work on the last Muffins release - Secret Signals 1 - I was impressed with the pak quality but especially the disc itself. Had a nice raised quality to the print ink. I'm proud to be a part of such a wonderful project and especially with Ian and his fine up and coming production studio! Real deal.

The title Vesuvius Tidepools made me think of the part of the Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii film where the band is looking at the bubbling pools of mud at Vesuvius, that’s where I was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Thanks! Yes, we decided early on that an attractive packaging was crucial to the recording. Attractive inside and out, and hopefully reflective of the music - we wanted the whole piece to be a work of art. I really am eternally grateful that we connected with Eric Kearns (Phlakton) - he listened to our ideas and looked at our rough sketches, and produced something that far exceeded my wildest dreams. I wanted to evoke the ECM jazz impressionistic look and Nate and I both wanted the bird floating belly up like a fish . The fact that Eric took those goofy guidelines and made into something instantly frame-able, and perhaps even iconic, is truly amazing to me. And he also did a wonderful job of incorporating my photography into the design as well.
    Thank you Ian. I think we make a fine team. Looking forward to more fun with you.

The title Vesuvius Tidepools made me think of the part of the Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii film where the band is looking at the bubbling pools of mud at Vesuvius, that’s where I was coming from.
    It’s been a long time since I’ve seen Pompeii, but yeah - same volcano! :-) I wanted a title to reflect something hot, active and on the brim of exploding (as in a volcano), and something about the music made me think of a burst of contained activity and life that could exist inside of a Tidepool. Dunno. It was important to me that the titles this time had a certain poetic nature that did evoke the imagination, and avoid the ‘does what it says on the tin’ nature of the first album titles, as in ‘Sea Shanty’ or ‘Space Western.’

Yeah, very nice work, Phlakaton!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Thank you Ian. I think we make a fine team. Looking forward to more fun with you.
    You say that now, wait until I pitch my concept for the next one to you.

Seriously though, I know you'll kill it. Can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    You say that now, wait until I pitch my concept for the next one to you.

Seriously though, I know you'll kill it. Can't wait!!
    Gauntlet thrown down. This excites - the more twisted the better.

New album has landed and it is great!

cd0.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***