Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japanese CD Boxes?

One of the main reasons for doing this was because I have different formats from my favorite artists. It's easy to store CDs side-by-side, but to then have different sized cases (standard, slimline, double/triple) and also my cassettes and other promo items, I wanted to store them on my shelves with a uniform look. Obviously, my LPs are stored on shelves close by and they stand alone... for now... However, I have made a couple of boxes that house some of those. Yep... it never ends when you're a collector.

Here's how the vinyl sheets look before they are applied to the boxes:

I buy the boxes in bulk, but am awaiting a new shipment that should be to me early next week. Then, I have about 15 or so to finish. In total, by September, I figure I will have close to 75 completed, with many more to go!

The band +Live+ are getting a set, and they have shown interest in wanting these produced and available via their web store. I suggested we leave a dedicated area in a corner, possibly on the back, dedicated to having them hand numbered (1 of 100, for example) and possibly other features (maybe autographed) to make them more unique and collectible. I might suggest these boxes for my other clients/friends in the music industry. Once printed, each vinyl is applied by human hands, so it does take some time. I have it down to a science now.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'll post my 30 Japan Mini-Lp CD Promo boxes tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'll post my 30 Japan Mini-Lp CD Promo boxes tomorrow.
    Looking forward to that! Are they all the same size from the same vendor/manufacturer? As you know, I love seeing everyone's collections!

Gruno, that’s really awesome work. I’m impressed.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Here's another reason why I chose to do the Van Halen set with Eddie's striped guitar patterns. I have his mini replica guitars. I'm in the middle of moving, so my new home office & studio will have a much larger space, so I will be able to showcase my collection as I originally intended...

More of my boxes:

When I said I recreated some of the artwork, here is a sample:

Live's Mental Jewelry's cover has their logo set to the right, and the album title is dark:

I recreated the logo, made a new purple marble background, then set the photo, logo and new text in:

I recreated an old faded ad that featured Ace Frehley (of KISS) -- the ad is on the right, obviously:

That was more complex, as I had to remake his left sneaker. I also recreated his logo name and changed the color to match his outfit:

These were also some of my first batch of prototypes. I will most likely redo these and refine them a bit more:

I was never too fond of the back of Roland's CD:

...so I altered it so that it appears as if he is reading the song titles:

Last edited by Gruno; 04-06-2018 at 10:07 PM.

To finish off my derailing of this thread (again, thanks to everybody for the compliments!) here is a bit of the process...

The printer that shoots out the final design. After this, they get the gloss lamination. The small images you see are for the inside cover of the boxes.

This is impressive (despiting me doubting of your musical taste )....

And those boxes are big enough to hold 13cm x 13cm Japanese Mini-Lps, then? but only six of them at a time, right? or is that six standard jewel cases?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    This is impressive
    My thoughts exactly! Very professional.

I particularly like your 3 Van Halen boxes, the way each of them replicates the design off one guitar. Only fans would know that, but even if someone doesn't, the visual effect of the 3 boxes next to each other is still very cool.

I wonder if there is some sort of packaging design contest that you could enter with these. They might win!

20180407_113634.jpg

The top of the CD bookcase has some of my Japan Mini-LP CD's (all unopended) Promo box sets. The Anthony Phillips Mega Box has 5 promo boxes inside. The top shelf on the bookcase are all Gold MFLS CDs. The next shelf down are part of my Mini-LP CD collection (there is a lot more not shown in the picture).
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-07-2018 at 03:19 PM.

20180407_113706.jpg20180407_113706.jpg

These are pictures of my other Japan Promo Boxes with unopened mini-lp CD's. There are non-Japanese CD's Box Sets on the top shelf. There is a total of over 30 Box Sets that makes up both pictures.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-07-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There’s something that doesn’t seem right (to me) about the idea of a box decorated with one album’s artwork housing five different albums.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    20180407_113634.jpg

The top of the CD bookcase has some of my Japan Mini-LP CD's (all unopended) Promo box sets. The Anthony Phillips Mega Box has 5 promo boxes inside. The top shelf on the bookcase are all Gold MFLS CDs. The next shelf down are part of my Mini-LP CD collection (there is a lot more not shown in the picture).
    Are those Genesis boxes THE Genesis boxes but with the disks in mini LP sleeves?

Nice, Mozo-PG!!! Are those boxes the slipcase versions? I do like those mini-LP CDS! I wish every release had that option.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are those Genesis boxes THE Genesis boxes but with the disks in mini LP sleeves?
    Yes - the Japan Genesis boxes. I have the U.S. ones too!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Nice, Mozo-PG!!! Are those boxes the slipcase versions? I do like those mini-LP CDS! I wish every release had that option.
    Coming from someone with such as awesome collection, I'm glad you like it.They're all for the mini-LP CD's for the slipcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There’s something that doesn’t seem right (to me) about the idea of a box decorated with one album’s artwork housing five different albums.
    Yup.... and in Genesis' case, I'd try to get the composite Whitehead artwork to wrap the box

This should be mandatory and even the only solution available, when it comes to CDs.

Much of the CD's recent public disapproval owes much to those shitty plastic jewel cases and digipak trays
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Those are amazing, Gruno! Love the VH action.

That's a mighty large signature on that Tarkus box.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That's a mighty large signature on that Tarkus box.
    You've got a sharp eye. That's Keith Emerson's signature.

Examples of specific albums with international versions, promo copies, re-releases, cd singles, etc...

Holy...mo..does that include the Giraffe albums? I don't know if that's even available in CD.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    Holy...mo..does that include the Giraffe albums? I don't know if that's even available in CD.
    The Giraffe albums were reissued on CD in 2012. I bought them both, but was a bit disappointed when they showed up and they are only in cardboard sleeves.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The Giraffe albums were reissued on CD in 2012. I bought them both, but was a bit disappointed when they showed up and they are only in cardboard sleeves.
    Planning a re-release that will be much more involved than those. I've been working on that for a couple years.

Those cardboard sleeved releases were just to get them out and re-released at that time.