Thread: Stockhausen's Klang

Stockhausen's Klang

We bang a klang when we talk to performers of Karlheinz Stockhausen's epic "Klang: The 24 Hours of the Day taking place at Fringearts in Philadelphia this weekend. We bring out an archival interview with Stockhausen and hear from members of Ensemble MusicFabrik and Analog Arts. Stockhausen's influence pervades progressive rock including The Beatles, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Can, Tangerine Dream and The Grateful Dead. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-dJZ

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    We bang a klang when we talk to performers of Karlheinz Stockhausen's epic "Klang: The 24 Hours of the Day taking place at Fringearts in Philadelphia this weekend.
    Is that the piece he was working on when he passed away? Are they performing the entire piece (or as much of it as Herr Stockhausen actually finished, I believe I read he only got about a third of the way through the "day" before he went home).

We bring out an archival interview with Stockhausen and hear from members of Ensemble MusicFabrik and Analog Arts. Stockhausen's influence pervades progressive rock including The Beatles, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Can, Tangerine Dream and The Grateful Dead. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-dJZ
    I'm not so sure about Tangerine Dream. Or at least, Edgar Froese never admitted to many musical influences beyond Gyorgy Ligeti.

Apparently, you can buy Stockhausen CD's directly from Stockhausen Verlag now, from their website, instead of having to do it through the mail, as you had to do for too many years. I need to get some money together so I can buy a few more (I've early got the one Sirius, Sternklang, and the disc with Song Of The Youths and Kontakte on it).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Is that the piece he was working on when he passed away? Are they performing the entire piece (or as much of it as Herr Stockhausen actually finished, I believe I read he only got about a third of the way through the "day" before he went home).
    I'm not so sure about Tangerine Dream. Or at least, Edgar Froese never admitted to many musical influences beyond Gyorgy Ligeti.
    They are playing all 21 completed segments. 14 hours.
    Baumann has cited Stockhausen. You could not be a German electronic musician in the early 70s and not have the influence of Stockhausen.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    Baumann has cited Stockhausen. You could not be a German electronic musician in the early 70s and not have the influence of Stockhausen.
    Yeah, I suppose that's probably true. I suppose without Stockhausen, all the great electronic musicians would have been French or American, eh?

Would have loved to seen some of those Stockhausen pieces performed live. I gather things like Mantra and Mikrophonie I seem to get performed regularly, judging from the videos I see on Youtube, but nobody never seems to perform them around here, nor any of the other Stockhausen pieces I wouldn't seeing performed.

The Klang/Stockhausen interview is up in the Echoes Podast.

Say Ommmm and bang a KLANG in the Echoes Podcast. We interview director Georgia Wyss about her film, Mantra: Sounds into Silence with Deva Premal and Miten, White Sun and Jai Uttal. Then we twist your ears with Karlheinz Stockhausen's KLANG: The 24 Hours of the Day, recently performed at Fringearts by Ensemble Musikfabrik, Lilac 94, and produced by Elizabeth Huston and ANALOG arts. We talk to them all and Stockhausen in the Echoes Podcast. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-dNl