Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Prog CD vendor down

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    The biggest issue I have with US vendors these days isn't even their fault. As a Canadian, The USA to Canada shipping cost has gotten so high that its considerably cheaper to use British or EU country vendors unless the order is at least 5 pieces. On a budget, that usually isn't happening.
    Agreed. An unfortunate reality. I buy a lot of CDs on a regular basis and I just can't afford to be tacking on $15 shipping each time a new release comes out. USPS really screwed everyone over with those price hikes a few years back. I try to save up several items to order at once from Lasers Edge to make it a bit more cost effective, but in the old days I would just order willy nilly from them whenever I wanted a new title. I mention them only as an example, as I use them the most since their stuff arrives the fastest. Gone also are the days when I would order a title or two at a time from Greg Walker. I still place larger orders a couple of times a year with these guys, but they've lost a lot of business (through no fault of their own) for the individual or smaller purchases. Were I a rich man, I would be ordering everything from them, but as it stands the budget can only stretch so far and I like my constant influx of new music.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Agreed. An unfortunate reality. I buy a lot of CDs on a regular basis and I just can't afford to be tacking on $15 shipping each time a new release comes out. USPS really screwed everyone over with those price hikes a few years back. I try to save up several items to order at once from Lasers Edge to make it a bit more cost effective, but in the old days I would just order willy nilly from them whenever I wanted a new title. I mention them only as an example, as I use them the most since their stuff arrives the fastest. Gone also are the days when I would order a title or two at a time from Greg Walker. I still place larger orders a couple of times a year with these guys, but they've lost a lot of business (through no fault of their own) for the individual or smaller purchases. Were I a rich man, I would be ordering everything from them, but as it stands the budget can only stretch so far and I like my constant influx of new music.
    I just wanted to echo that I'm in the same position as a Canadian. I usually order from Amazon for much lower shipping costs. I would much prefer to support U.S. sellers who specialize in progressive rock but I can't justify the high costs of shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's how I do it: big orders in one shipping (on the average between 8 to 15) ... Yeah, sure, I discovered Accordo Dei Contrari's latest CD seven months after everybody else, but one can listen to their bandcamp whiole waiting for the physical product to arrive. But Greg does a little extra in terms of weight of the parcel, by holding out on the jewelcases
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Are there any specialty Prog vendors in Canada? Just wondering - I’ve never heard of any.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are there any specialty Prog vendors in Canada? Just wondering - I’ve never heard of any.
    No, but I'm fortunate to have a few local indie shops that have a lot of prog stuff. Other than that, it's Discogs/Ebay for Canadian purchases. Maybe the odd Amazon marketplace seller.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Another Canadian that got screwed by USPS. My purchases from US-based vendors has plummeted the past few years. I am in the process of buying a network media streamer for my stereo rig. When that happens, I will probably switch to digital downloads, hirez when available.

I met Larry (and John Collinge) at Baja Prog a number of years ago. He was a very nice guy and I always tried to pick up some stuff from him at NEARFest. Still, very sorry that to learn that he is closing up his shop.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

^^^^^^

Nice avatar!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

More great stuff on sale at Kinesis , about to put another order in.