Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles' Worst Songs

[QUOTE=ronmac;793909]Someone forgot to put "IMO" in the thread title.

I always thought, if you made a post at PE, the "IMO" was assumed!
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    You could take the 20 consensus "worst" Beatles songs, put them on an album, and it would still be better than 90% of the greatest hits/best of albums that were released from 1963 to the present by rock/pop bands during that time period.
    This is pretty true...as I scroll down through others' choices, I see songs I love:

Love Me Do
    Run for Your Life
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    Yer Blues

I forgot about "Rocky Raccoon" and "Maxwell" - two songs I'd skip although I never skip tracks on Beatles' albums. "Maxwell" has great lyrics but it's cheesy.
    For that which is not,
    and for that which is,
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    The Beatles are too monumental for some people to understand the glory and innocence in pointing out that they wrote bad songs. It's just honesty.
    This is what I was getting at - just a discussion of how even the greatest arts shit the bed sometimes!
    For that which is not,
    and for that which is,
    Bhagavad Gita

Never liked 'Hey Jude' for some reason. Seemed lifeless to me, never 'felt' it. But I always loved 'The Long & Winding Road'. I 'feel' that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    The Beatles are too monumental for some people to understand the glory and innocence in pointing out that they wrote bad songs. It's just honesty.
    Definitely true!

A lot of those Ringo lead vocal songs are not all that great on their own, but they fit well within the original album they were on. They provide a nice break from the standard Lennon/McCartney lead vocal tunes.
    E.g., Don't Pass Me By, Act Naturally, Octopus's Garden.

I always found some songs to be much better than others, but, yes the others provide contrast. Side 2 of Abbey Road is an example, where I love 'Because', 'Sun King' and 'Golden Slumbers', and not so fond of 'Polythene Pam' and 'Bathroom Window', but they, at least, provide contrast.

My favorite contrast song where Paul, John or George weren't singing on is 'Flying'

Banned
    I'm chiming in just to say i like Revolution #9. I think it's experimentally brave, imaginative and has moments that are memorable, even haunting. I love it that they put this track on a "pop" album. Probably mine is a minority opinion and others will think I have a screw loose. Maybe it's has something to do with being a fan of music concrete, avant garde and acid flashbacks...

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    My favorite contrast song where Paul, John or George weren't singing on is 'Flying'
    Don't forget Ringo. BTW, that's the only song in the catalog credited to all four as composers.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Don't forget Ringo. BTW, that's the only song in the catalog credited to all four as composers.
    Forget Ringo?? Never!

THIS LIST HAS BEEN EDITED:

I try to avoid making lists, because there just seems to be something for everyone in their catalog.

That being written, here’s my objective take on the “worst” Beatles songs. I went through every release, so not to miss a song.

In no particular order and with a few caveats.

Love Me Do

Do You Want to Know a Secret

I Wanna Be Your Man" (Although it was good enough for the Rolling Stones to use as their 2nd single, which preceded the Beatles’ version.)

When I Get Home

Every Little Thing

It's Only Love
    (John never liked this one)

Tell Me What You See

What Goes On

All Together Now

Birthday

DISSQUALIFIED

You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) - I don’t think it’s fair to judge a novelty song.

Revolution 9 - Love it or hate it, it broke ground and has stood the test of time as a piece of art to many (including myself). I don’t think this can be considered a “song.” It’s a montage.

Dig It - This is just a studio jam.

Wild Honey Pie should be considered an improv an bumped from the list.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

CONTENDERS

Run for Your Life - To me, the song is too catchy to be in the bottom ten.

The Elvis song that inspired Lennon was “Baby, Let’s Play House” (1955)

Now listen to me, baby
    Try to understand.
    I'd rather see you dead, little girl,
    Than to be with another man.
    Now baby,
    Come back, baby, come.
    Come back, baby, come.
    Come back, baby, I wanna play house with you.

Yellow Submarine - If you see it as a novelty song, it could be a contender. But, it’s just too damned great for what it is. Everybody loves this song sometime in their life.

Paul’s Ditties (“When I’m Sixty-Four,” “You Mother Should Know,” “Honey Pie,” etc.) Paul being the sentimentalist, and just so fucking good at it, that it’s difficult to put them on a “worst” list. Judged as genre pieces, they are textbook examples.

Flying - They captured a pretty unique vibe in this song that they didn’t do anywhere else. The alternate version is pretty cool, too.

One After 909 - The Beatles, a band falling apart, playing straight blues on a song they wrote and played back in the Cavern Days. An early original they almost released in 1963, this rooftop performance showed that they were still, first and foremost a rock and roll band.
    Last edited by ronmac; 04-04-2018 at 11:20 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'd rather talk about my favorites: Martha My Dear, Because, I'm Only Sleeping, etc... probably my top 3 right there. On most days.

Banned
    I pretty much buy your list Ronmac except for Fool on the Hill being a contender. In fact I think it a gem. Beautiful melody, touching even poetic lyrics and a nice arrangement with the flutes and all. But there you go we can all have our boats float on different tides eh?

Edit- missed progbear's utter drivel comment. Wow! Well I can think of things I consider to utter drivel that are classic for other people as well but still, surprising that such a song elicits such a response. Well there's two of us that will never understand.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-04-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, one of the worst tunes ever!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Most of MMT, namely the non-single, non-title track, non “I Am the Walrus” tracks. I remember how I was poised in anticipation for an album of material from their peak period that I’d never heard before...only to realize there’s a reason you never hear these songs. “Your Mother Should Know,” “Flying” and “Blue Jay Way” are the definition of B-material, and I’ll never understand why people consider the utter drivel of “The Fool on the Hill” to be a “classic.”
    Don’t make me put you on Ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, one of the worst tunes ever!
    I'm not a big fan of it, but I probably won't change radio station if I hear it once more, which is more than I can say for millions of tracks that were "written" and recorded...

I'm also not a fan of Strawberry Fields Forever and a few more well-known Beatles tracks, but let's face it, generally the mostly-unknown ones (the ones you never hear on the radio) are much worse than Ob-la-di and SFF. IMHO, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don’t make me put you on Ignore!
    I think he's got a point (uness I misread his post), but while I dislike the movie intensely, I've learned how to cope with most of the tracks on the album, but still can't find anything worth remembering these tracks below
    A3 Flying 2:16
    A4 Blue Jay Way 3:50
    A5 Your Mother Should Know 2:33
    Baby You're a Rich Man 3:07

I can say this for most of their album, except Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road, where every track is worthy.

But on the whole, the Fab Four had probably much less filler tracks on their albums than 90% of 60's bands.

BTW: #9 is insufferable (and not just IMHO), but mostly because two minutes of it would've been more than enough to make their point... and they push it 8 minutes ...
    Last edited by Trane; 04-04-2018 at 04:12 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I'm chiming in just to say i like Revolution #9. I think it's experimentally brave, imaginative and has moments that are memorable, even haunting. I love it that they put this track on a "pop" album. Probably mine is a minority opinion and others will think I have a screw loose. Maybe it's has something to do with being a fan of music concrete, avant garde and acid flashbacks...
    I agree with all of that...despite definitely not being a fan of avant garde etc. I got into The Beatles via my older brother when I was pre-teenage and side 4 of the White Album was my favourite thing to listen to - it was like witnessing someone else's weird dream. I can't imagine the White Album without it...

I pretty much buy your list Ronmac except for Fool on the Hill being a contender. In fact I think it a gem. Beautiful melody, touching even poetic lyrics and a nice arrangement with the flutes and all. But there you go we can all have our boats float on different tides eh?
    Yeah, I only included that because some just don't care for it. I do agree it's a gem and I thought I made my point that it's great songwriting.

Bottom line is that, even the so-caleld "worst" list has some really catchy songs that most other bands would love to have in their own catalog.

Plus, Chuck Manson dug it very much.

I quite like "Revolution #9."

About once every ten years...

Leave us not forget, though, that this kind of collage is what made things like "Fool's Overture" and much of the Roger Waters-led Pink Floyd (at least commercially) possible.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    RE: MMT, I go by the US version since it’s what I know. IMO it’s all great. The title track and Fool on the Hill are personal favorites. Hard for me to fathom how someone can really dislike Fool on the Hill.

But, I guess I believe it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Plus, Chuck Manson dug it very much.

Hey somebody's gotta carry the torch now that he's gone.

Certainly not many... Good Morning comes to mind. Never been a fan of this one

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Bottom line is that, even the so-caleld "worst" list has some really catchy songs that most other bands would love to have in their own catalog.
    I disagree with "most." Some bands would love, others may like, and some would not want those. Most? Nope.