Thread: Leonard Bernstein 100th anniversary celebrations

Leonard Bernstein 100th anniversary celebrations

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of Leonard Bernstein. To mark the occasion there are numerous festivals to celebrate his life and music. Since Bernstein was one of the most important musical figures of the 20th century I thought we could share some info on his life and music on here. I have to admit embarrassing that there's much about him that I don't know. His music has been very influential and known around the world. If you ever get a chance to watch video of him conducting you will find him one of the most charismatic personalities and so enjoyable to watch.

^^^^ Completely agree, and I've always been amazed how many people don't realize that aside from his classical mega-cred, he composed "Tonight", "Somewhere" & "Maria" etc..
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I was very young when he did the Young People's Concerts. What an amazing musician and human being.
    West Side Story is pure genius. Cool is my favorite song of all the amazing songs he wrote for WSS.

I have occasion to pull out this inspirational quote, originally made in reference to John F. Kennedy, all too often in these times.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

His version of Stravinsky: Le Sacre was for many years the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    His version of many compositions was the best and in some cases still is, IMO. This is what I grew up with, and have managed to keep through the years:

IMG_1146.jpg

Five 7" records and a book. I also watched all the films available at the time. His recording of Peter and the Wolf is permanently etched upon my brain.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I also like many of his original compositions, like his 3 symphonies, Divertimento, On The Waterfront, and West Side Story Symphonic Dances, the instrumental interludes from the musical West Side Story.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I found his music much later in life - but I must admit his operetta Candide is one of the most magnificent achievements of 20th Century music I have ever heard. From the Shostakovich inspired overture to the heart-wrenching plangent melodies and smart humour of the libretti reuniting him with Sondheim and other great writers - John Latouche, Dorothy Parker, Lillian Hellman, John Mauceri and, a surprise to me, English satirist John Wells.
    Opera and operetta are not usually my 'thing' at all, but this is just so good, so well constructed and so successfully realised, that I just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    There's an interesting story behind that. Apparently, Serge Koussevitzky (Bernstein's mentor) could not conduct the piece as written, with its numerous meter and pulse changes - he simply found it too difficult and confusing. So he got his friend Nicholas Slonimsky to re-bar the whole thing, into easier combinations of 3/4 and 4/4 with accents inserted as needed. Then he could play it. For example, Slonimsky changed the succession of 3/16, 2/8, 1/16, 4/8, into a single bar of 4/4, counted as "One-e-and-A-two-E-and-A-Three-and-Four-and-..." Which may look just as tricky, but experienced musicians are more used to syncopations and shifting accents within 4/4 than they are to constant meter shifts, and can often play them more musically.

And then later, for the whole of his career, Bernstein conducted from Koussevitzky's personal copy of the score, with Slonimsky's re-barrings written in blue pencil. So I wonder whether that had anything to do with Bernstein's interpretation: Did it maybe enable him to make out and emphasize the forest of larger rhythmic phrases, rather than being tripped-up by the trees of constantly-changing bars?

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I also like many of his original compositions, like his 3 symphonies, Divertimento, On The Waterfront, and West Side Story Symphonic Dances, the instrumental interludes from the musical West Side Story.
    His second symphony is my favorite piece by him and one of my favorite symphonies period. It’s close to being a piano concerto I have to get his Candide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    His second symphony is my favorite piece by him and one of my favorite symphonies period. It’s close to being a piano concerto I have to get his Candide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Check it out - excellent intro from the maestro himself

One of my lifelong idols and always brilliant. I was just listening to his Piano Concerto and Symphony #2 today, actually. No one did it like Lenny
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The Serenade for violin, strings and percussion is another fine work.

I think it's significant that Bernstein's spirit was there at the very beginning of progressive rock, inspiring two of prog's most distinctive cover versions - The Nice's "America" (1968) and Yes' "Something's Coming" (1969).

"America is pregnant with promise and anticipation, but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable."