Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Marillion - Garden Party and stuff

Old Marillion - Garden Party and stuff

Just came across this. Never heard it before.

For a band that's had a pretty consistent lineup over near 40 years, it's funny that only Rothery remains from the birth of a song that still lives in their set list. I've actually always loved Jelliman's keyboard sounds and fiddlings on this song.

While we're at it, is it wrong that this song wouldn't be anywhere near the bottom if I ranked my appreciation of all their songs? Not even in the lower 50 percentile.

Holy crap, more stuff I've never heard. A version of Lady Fantasy with Fish (and different lyrics, of course).

I hate to be a "their old stuff was better" but the Doug Irvine version of the song was better. No Doug, no Marillion, I guess.

The early version of He Knows You Know sounds very different. It wasn't until shortly before the recording of the album that the main melody was changed to sound like Supertramp's School :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I hate to be a "their old stuff was better" but the Doug Irvine version of the song was better. No Doug, no Marillion, I guess.
    Every time I see someone make some tired Fish vs. Hogarth comment, I always feel tempted to make a tongue-in-cheek remark that "Oh, those new guys are okay, but the classic Doug Irvine lineup was the best!"

Speaking of old Marillion, how does everyone feel about Fugazi. I ask because somehow I got the impression that not many fans liked it and it's never talked about much.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Speaking of old Marillion, how does everyone feel about Fugazi. I ask because somehow I got the impression that not many fans liked it and it's never talked about much.
    Least favorite of mine, easy. So dour. I mean, I love all Marillion and still listen to it, but only when I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    The early version of He Knows You Know sounds very different. It wasn't until shortly before the recording of the album that the main melody was changed to sound like Supertramp's School :-)
    I love the completely different version of Charting the Single from that demo.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Every time I see someone make some tired Fish vs. Hogarth comment, I always feel tempted to make a tongue-in-cheek remark that "Oh, those new guys are okay, but the classic Doug Irvine lineup was the best!"
    It was all downhill after Andy Ward left.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’ve heard most if not all of this stuff, but maybe I missed something so thanks! I love early Marillion esoterica.

Fugazi? I love the whole album. I got into Marillion between Fugazi and Misplaced Childhood, so it was interesting for my early fandom to be without any photos of the band at all. Then I got a Bootleg LP with a bad photocopy insert with a photo of Fish. It looked like something from a pre-Universal Frankenstein movie, so that just made them more mysterious. Somewhere in there I bought some bootleg VHS tapes and they became a little less mysterious.

It is my least favorite of the Fish years, but it is still a good to great album.

The eons are closing
    Re: fugazi

Incubus and the title track are stone cold Marillion classics; certainly in my personal all era Marillion top 15.

So angry, so righteous, so awesome.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    I also have some live shows from pre-script era with differing lyrics and or music. For example i have a more sprightly she chameleon, same lyric mostly but less dirgy music
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Fugazi has such a harsh sound, I hate the production.

Better than everything they did with Hogarth.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I would like some recordings with Neil Cockle and Martin Jenner (Marillion Co Founders)...

Neil's Neo Prog band: http://www.themightybard.com/
    Last edited by TheH; 03-28-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I would like some recordings with Neil Cockle and Martin Jenner (Marillion Co Founders)...

Neil's Neo Prog band: http://www.themightybard.com/
    The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Re: fugazi

Incubus and the title track are stone cold Marillion classics; certainly in my personal all era Marillion top 15.

So angry, so righteous, so awesome.
    Agreed. Fugazi was my introduction to this band when it first came out, so it will always be a sentimental favorite.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Better than everything they did with Hogarth.
    So, so edgy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.
    LOL! This was just silly enough to make me snort when I read it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Fugazi's my favorite Marillion album, and I was a Marillion fanatic after getting addicted to Script. But Fugazi was such a huge leap forward musically. The lyrics are remorselessly dark. The synth solo in She Chameleon is Mark Kelly's finest moment IMO. And then Mosley's cock-eyed drum pattern at the opening of Incubus, wow. Emerald Lies packs so much drama and contrast into its tiny frame that it almost explodes, way the most intense song I've ever heard about a domestic squabble.

Misplaced Childhood was a fluffy letdown, full of juvenile sentimentality, with a sickeningly cringe-inducing finale. Clutching at Straws was a brilliant return to form. Despite trying, I never formed a connection with any Hogarth-era Marillion.

D-d-d-d-d-d-do you re-ah-lize?

Even after a few decades of being mostly a snooty avant-progger, Fugazi is one of my favorite albums to listen to beginning to end.

Fugazi has some great tracks on it. Assassing, Punch and Judy, Jigsaw, Incubus, and the title tracks are all favorites of mine. The guitar solo in Jigsaw is still one of my favorite guitar moments ever.

I love it, but it really shines live (As all Marillion does.) I don't think there's a version of Jigsaw I've never liked.

Production is kind of weak on the studio album though.

I have most of the early recorded demos/rehearsals and they are interesting from a historical perspective, but I don't find myself going back to them much because the band really wasn't close to solidifying by that point.
    Last edited by ytserush; 03-30-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: omission

Thanks for these early demos, an interesting listen.