Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Marillion - Garden Party and stuff

I enjoyed the Lady Fantasy demo very much! I'm not the biggest Marillion fan by any stretch so there is much about the band I don't know. Does Lady Fantasy surface on an album down the road in the band's career?

I started playing the Garden Party tape out of curiosity. I've often wondered why fans want to hear every raw, awful sounding demo from a band. I made it through about 30 seconds and thought to myself why the hell am I listening to this? I guess fans just like to hear how a song evolved from beginning to end. I get that, but MOST of the time I'd rather just hear the finished version. I do agree that there are sometimes when a demo can reveal a unique insight into a band and their creative thought process.

That Lady Fantasy is nice, thought I would like to hear it sung by Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Agreed. Fugazi was my introduction to this band when it first came out, so it will always be a sentimental favorite.

I'm another person who was introduced to Marillion through Fugazi in 1984. It will always be my favourite Marillion album and i never tire of listening to it, particularly the latter three tracks which I used to listen to literally day after school when I first got the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I started playing the Garden Party tape out of curiosity. I've often wondered why fans want to hear every raw, awful sounding demo from a band. I made it through about 30 seconds and thought to myself why the hell am I listening to this? I guess fans just like to hear how a song evolved from beginning to end. I get that, but MOST of the time I'd rather just hear the finished version. I do agree that there are sometimes when a demo can reveal a unique insight into a band and their creative thought process.
    For me it depends on the band. In the case of Marillion I'd rather the demos from after that period when the band had some time to gel and have some experience on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I guess fans just like to hear how a song evolved from beginning to end.
    That, yes, but also for me (especially with marillion), it's more I like to hear how the band evolved from the beginning to now.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    I enjoyed the Lady Fantasy demo very much! I'm not the biggest Marillion fan by any stretch so there is much about the band I don't know. Does Lady Fantasy surface on an album down the road in the band's career?
    Bits and pieces of other tracks from the Doug Irvine era surfaced in tracks on the first few albums (or maybe just the first), but I don't think anything from Lady fantasy survived.

Most noteworthfully, bits of this lived on in Forgotton Sons from the first album:

Far & away my fave Marillion along with Cinderella Search from that same period.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Speaking of old Marillion, how does everyone feel about Fugazi. I ask because somehow I got the impression that not many fans liked it and it's never talked about much.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Yeah, though I haven't listened to any of this stuff in years, I loved Fugazi. I first got a Marillion album in 1996 I think, the debut. I first heard of them when a friend was over and I put on Genesis Selling England by the Pound. When the first track started, he asked me if it was Marillion, lol! I asked who Marillion was and we both realized that it must be Marillion that sounded like Genesis ;-) Anyway, a few years later I got Script and loved it. Got Fugazi a few weeks later and loved it almost as much, though over time I came to consider it the best of the Fish albums. I like Misplaced Childhood, but I still think it's the weakest of the Fish era.

I've never been able to enjoy Hogarth Marillion, though I always thought Hogarth was a great singer. I've tried a few different times to get into that Marillion, and failed each time, mostly out of boredom and the feeling that there must be something else I'd rather be listening to.

Anyway, thanks for posting those early demos, very interesting and not half bad (though probably not something I would need to have to hear again).

I've always wondered about this one line in Garden Party: "Angie chalks another blue, mother smiles she did it too."

Anyone have a clue what this means? I'm guessing "chalk" might mean hitting someone with say a rock or something and blue probably refers to a debutante or high society person. But I could be completely wrong.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I've always wondered about this one line in Garden Party: "Angie chalks another blue, mother smiles she did it too."

Anyone have a clue what this means? I'm guessing "chalk" might mean hitting someone with say a rock or something and blue probably refers to a debutante or high society person. But I could be completely wrong.
    From the alt.music.marillion FAQ - not exactly conclusive, but historically awesome!:

> To chalk another blue ?
    > Come on guys, enlighten me !

A `blue' is a sporting honour. To obtain a blue you have to represent
    Cambridge University against Oxford in a major sport. You could be in the
    team all year but if you miss the Oxford game due to injury you don't get
    your blue. The major sports are rowing, rugby, football (aka soccer),
    cricket, (field) hockey, boxing + perhaps one or two others. If you
    represent the university in a minor sport (eg. tennis, squash, badminton,
    ice hockey, basketball...) you get a `half-blue'. Receiving a blue
    entitles you to numerous privileges, such wearing a hideous light blue
    blazer (dark blue at Oxford), and gives you considerable status amongst
    those who consider athletics more important than academics.

[=== End of included message ===]

Further comments added later:

Thus `Angie chalks another blue' can on one level be interpreted as
    meaning that Angie is a sort of sports groupie, who is perhaps trying to
    sleep with all the members of the university rugby team and has just
    succeeded in bedding another player - and chalked up (tallied) this
    conquest on her personal score sheet.

In addition, this line can also be taken as a reference to snooker (a game
    with some basic similarities to pool which is popular among the upper
    classes in Britain). One of the balls used in snooker is blue. Also the
    chalk rubbed on the tips of the cues used in snooker is blue - so
    conceivably this line contains all sorts of phallic imagery!

Furthermore:

[actually, I've heard that it's slang for taking uppers, ie blues.
    there are other references to blues in Quadraphenia.--kbibb]

[There is a simpler explanation. Here in England someone who is somehow
    connected with the royal family, or a Lord, Peer, etc., is said to be "blue
    blooded". Hence "blue" from the song.--Paul Irvine]

So, in conclusion, this one line (four words) manages to make allusions to
    three different aspects of upper class decadence - a fine example of
    Fish's lyrical brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thus `Angie chalks another blue' can on one level be interpreted as
    meaning that Angie is a sort of sports groupie, who is perhaps trying to
    sleep with all the members of the university rugby team and has just
    succeeded in bedding another player - and chalked up (tallied) this
    conquest on her personal score sheet.

So, in conclusion, this one line (four words) manages to make allusions to
    three different aspects of upper class decadence - a fine example of
    Fish's lyrical brilliance.[/I]
    Thanks for that posting. I think being a sports groupie makes more sense than something related to snooker.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Fugazi's my favorite Marillion album, and I was a Marillion fanatic after getting addicted to Script. But Fugazi was such a huge leap forward musically. The lyrics are remorselessly dark. The synth solo in She Chameleon is Mark Kelly's finest moment IMO. And then Mosley's cock-eyed drum pattern at the opening of Incubus, wow. Emerald Lies packs so much drama and contrast into its tiny frame that it almost explodes, way the most intense song I've ever heard about a domestic squabble.

Misplaced Childhood was a fluffy letdown, full of juvenile sentimentality, with a sickeningly cringe-inducing finale. Clutching at Straws was a brilliant return to form. Despite trying, I never formed a connection with any Hogarth-era Marillion.

D-d-d-d-d-d-do you re-ah-lize?

Even after a few decades of being mostly a snooty avant-progger, Fugazi is one of my favorite albums to listen to beginning to end.
    I agree with practically all this except I also like the majority of the Hogarth albums.

I thought that I was possibly the only Marillion fan that didn't rate Misplaced Childhood. A few nice things on side one might have made a decent E.P. I suppose. I will say though, they might not have made Clutching At Straws without it. At the second attempt, they nailed the short-song format.

As to Fugazi, I agree that it's strong from beginning to end with Jigsaw being probably my favourite Marillion song.

This! Just digging around youtube for old concerts. I knew a boot of this show existed but I've never heard it. Decent quality too, for what it is.

Marillion as a four piece, sans bass, following Diz's departure, prior to Pete's arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    This! Just digging around youtube for old concerts. I knew a boot of this show existed but I've never heard it. Decent quality too, for what it is.

Marillion as a four piece, sans bass, following Diz's departure, prior to Pete's arrival.

I've always loved this show. No bass player? No problem.

Fish is pretty much unstoppable during this period. When I found out stuff like this existed I pretty much gave up on listening to Script ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Thanks for that posting. I think being a sports groupie makes more sense than something related to snooker.
    The upper classes might play billiards, but snooker?!? Oh no my dear chap, not likely...

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    That Lady Fantasy is nice, thought I would like to hear it sung by Fish.

The growth between this and even 12 months later has always amazed me.

I forgot about the Yes influence on some of this too.

oh goodie an early-Marillion thread, i’ll just post this into this thread:
    Been learning how to play Grendel recently, to create/play for fun an arrangement for several acoustic guitars. Not a professional musician, and no idea of when I’d record and put it on the internet. Though did upload for a few off-forum folks this 2-minute snippet recorded during practice and I’m now posting it here at PE too. FYI this was only quickly recorded using a laptop’s built-in mic and really old guitar strings on this particular acoustic guitar, but it turned out okay. Playing old Marillion stuff on acoustic guitar at home is a fun hobby and basically what I’m working on for this particular song is more multi-tracked than heard here — this is just some practice bits with deliberately limited multi-tracking. Will keep you updated at some point in the future about where I’m at with the song. I don’t know how long I’ll keep this at youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    Will keep you updated at some point in the future about where I’m at with the song.
    Update: This (my fun hobby of learning/playing/similar Grendel) has been on hiatus since the time I posted that video to youtube (it's probably been a month at least) (see: my previous post above), and will continue to be on hiatus for a while, for many reasons (such as, many hours given by me and my wife in recent weeks to learning in detail about some cat health topics, we have two cats relatively old). But this fun Grendel work will continue! At the time of posting that video, I had learned to play / arranged about maybe 70-80% of the song, for playing it on guitar, because it's fun.

Above, in 2018 I posted about a brief Marillion Grendel acoustic guitar practice session recording (see above), I haven’t continued working on that song fyi, but noticed a few days ago that I’ve made a 2nd similar recording around that time, for one of the other segments I had worked on around that same time, and this 2nd recording (also a practice session) is even more basic than the one above, and uploaded it to youtube today, here’s the link fyi for anyone interested in that classic song, the description there in youtube elaborates a bit.

"just practicing Marillion's Grendel on acoustic guitar, part 2"

Marillion as a prog-punk hybrid with these Derek W Dick vox! I love it. I had not heard much Marillion until a couple of years ago when a friend gave me a copy of Brave. Slowly getting into them. Such a large catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Better than everything they did with Hogarth.
    And of course, here we go.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Favourite Marillion moment:

"The Flaming Shroud".... In thick Scottish accent
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg