Thread: Paul Gilbert - Vibrato

Paul Gilbert - Vibrato

Thought I'd start a thread about this album, as it seems to me to be something of an overlooked gem. Dating from 2012, this was Gilbert's 12th solo album, and imho it's his best, certainly amongst his vocal albums. In addition to his always superlative guitar playing, this album features a fabulous collection of tunes that show the strong influence of, amongst others, Todd Rundgren (Atmosphere on the Moon) and P-Funk (Enemies (In Jail)). It also features excellent covers of Dave Brubeck's Blue Rondo a la Turk and, of all things, Yes's Roundabout. I also love Gilbert's lightness of touch -even at his most full-on shred intensive, there's a sense of playful enjoyment and humour in the music that's a welcome respite from the often po-faced over-seriousness of most prog and metal. Hi wife Emi plays some pretty mean keys, here too. Anybody else familiar with this album - thoughts?

Best Roundabout rendition/cover I can remember I have have heard.

Because I refuse to abandon this thread, even in the face of near-universal indifference, here's some fantastic footage of PG performing much of this material live and comprehensively demonstrating what a fantastic musician he is:

He is a fantastic musician, I think his 'problem' is that he doesnt have a particular style, but plays everything.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Because I refuse to abandon this thread, even in the face of near-universal indifference...
    I'm not indifferent; I think he's very talented to the point where I think "Where is this inventiveness and coolness in Mr. Big?" I even have his album with Freddie Nelson, "United States," which I think is quite an underrated collection of pop/rock songs. The only reason I haven't bought much of his stuff recently is I've fallen off the instrumental rock genre for some time (Satriani, once a must-have, has barely gotten a listen in the past three years). I do like what I've heard regarding "Vibrato," though.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Now I am curious and if I have an opportunity I'll pick this up. I have a few Mr. Big albums (from which I only really like a handful of tunes) and I have "Stone Pushing Uphill Man" which didn't really excite me. I'm well aware of his talent though. Lately when I visit my brother he's listening to some Pandora station that is all guitar rock, so I know I've heard some great Gilbert tunes. In general I don't listen to a lot of that sort of thing lately, but that station is good. Vibrato sounds promising though.
    <sig out of order>