Thread: The Farm

The Farm

Does anyone know anything about this German (Band? Show?) called the Farm? I just came across these 2 videos posted in 2017, but, new to me. They do Genesis, Gabriel, and Collins solo music. To my eyes and ears quite impressive. there are a lot of really nice things happening here and the one show is very different than the second. Google is not giving me much additional info on this. The first show is very good, but there is a big improvement in sound and performances by 2009.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can't find much either, but a pretty proficient, German Genesis tribute band is all I think.

Is this the same band that did a song called "All Together Now" in the 90s?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this German (Band? Show?) called the Farm? I just came across these 2 videos posted in 2017, but, new to me. They do Genesis, Gabriel, and Collins solo music. To my eyes and ears quite impressive. there are a lot of really nice things happening here and the one show is very different than the second. Google is not giving me much additional info on this. The first show is very good, but there is a big improvement in sound and performances by 2009.
    I can help you out with a bit more information.
    Hi everyone, longtime visitor, enjoyed all the great posts and information over the years.
    Long time prog fan since the early 70's, and had the great pleasure of seeing Genesis for the Selling England by the Pound tour, and later the lamb. The SEBTT changed how I viewed music, I had never seen a singer like Peter G performing the way he did. From Mike's double neck guitar, to Steve dressed in white sitting on a chair, Tony's mellotron, and of course Phil's drumming, they raised the bar for future performers would put on a show.

Anyway, back to the Farm.
    The Farm is the result of a group of like minded musicians who met while attending the University and pursuing their musical education.
    The Farm is:
    Vocals: Elmar Ferner Guitar: Niklas Turmann Keyboards: Jochen Pietsch Bass: Michael Schugardt Drums: Momme Boe & Christin Neddens

I struck up an internet friendship with Momme after viewing a couple of videos of their last concert, which was filmed, titled The Farm, Behind the Lines, A Concert.
    I asked Momme if it was possible to purchase the DVD and he informed he could sell me one, but that it is in PAL format only. Yes, I have a PAL dvd player I keep around for concerts like this only in PAL.
    I have the concert and it is fantastic. They also have a documentary about preparing and rehearsing for the concert which is included.

I had hopes they would regroup to perform another show with different material, but it looks like their different schedules might prevent that.
    Momme is a percussionist for the band Ignore the Sign and Elmar plays keys and backing vocals for a Aha tribute band.
    The others I have no info on.

I had hoped they had contact information on YT, which is how I contacted them, but it's no longer up there. The official Farm uploads are from user vpdigital.
    I'm still friends with Momme and can contact him to see if they have any DVD's left for purchase if anyone is interested.
    It's a great concert, and the Phil stuff reminds me of the Carousel show setlist.

Thanks for this great community, I hope I can add something here and there.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 03-27-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Wow! thanks for the info. Both concerts were excellent, and while everyone evolved is top notch, singer, guitar, keys, and bass, being a drummer the drummer(s) are for me, really a joy to watch, this is some difficult stuff. In The Farm, Behind the Lines, A Concert, the drum duet is out of this world, and when they get to the end and go on to the next song (no spoilers), what a contrast from the beginning half of the show. I haven't even mentioned the Gabriel songs which were quite a surprise also. These was such a treat to find and watch. I am really surprised that there is no more info on The Farm because I figured you can find almost anything if you search enough. I will have to settle for the 2 concerts online since I have no PAL player, (the making of documentary is online too if you look). Thanks again for the info, being 8 and10 years since they recorded these it's really hard to believe there has not been another attempt to do another show. At least these are still available and I am making the best of that, Ive been repeating nonstop the last couple of days.

I watched one of those shows on YouTube last night. It seems to be basically "The German Phil Collins Show." There is literally *nothing* from the Gabriel era that Collins didn't [strike]ruin[/strike] sing after Gabriel departed, and very little of that - not even "I Know What I Like." And the singer borrows all Collins's annoying mannerisms ("The lamb ... Lies down ... Down, down, down!").

Yes, the musicianship is spectacular. But I can't take any band seriously that plays "Sussudio."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

Yes, the musicianship is spectacular. But I can't take any band seriously that plays "Sussudio."
    Is that the Genesis song that goes "Sus-sus-sussudio! Oh-oh!"? It must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Is this the same band that did a song called "All Together Now" in the 90s?
    No not the same group, I had forgotten about this song.

No not the same group, I had forgotten about this song.
    I only asked because it was the song that was played over the PA right before Genesis took the stage during their "I Can't Dance" tour when I saw them in Philly.

I liked the song so much that I was able to track down a copy of the single. So, I assumed a connection.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

You have a much better memory than I do.

You have a much better memory than I do.
    That's the funny thing - my memory sucks. But that song stuck with me, for some reason.

I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast yesterday.

The Farm Concerts

I realize this is a bit of an old thread but was recently referred to The Farm Videos on You Tube. I was absolutely blown away by the instrumentals/vocals. My son-in-law is German and was able to interpret some of the dialog in the '07 concert.
    I'd love to get a DVD (PAL or NTSC) and was wondering if you could provide direction/contact ??
    I've seen a number of cover bands and they are by far the best.... I haven't been able to find anything else online re: the band.
    Thanks and Best Regards
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I can help you out with a bit more information.
    Hi everyone, longtime visitor, enjoyed all the great posts and information over the years.
    Long time prog fan since the early 70's, and had the great pleasure of seeing Genesis for the Selling England by the Pound tour, and later the lamb. The SEBTT changed how I viewed music, I had never seen a singer like Peter G performing the way he did. From Mike's double neck guitar, to Steve dressed in white sitting on a chair, Tony's mellotron, and of course Phil's drumming, they raised the bar for future performers would put on a show.

Anyway, back to the Farm.
    The Farm is the result of a group of like minded musicians who met while attending the University and pursuing their musical education.
    The Farm is:
    Vocals: Elmar Ferner Guitar: Niklas Turmann Keyboards: Jochen Pietsch Bass: Michael Schugardt Drums: Momme Boe & Christin Neddens

I struck up an internet friendship with Momme after viewing a couple of videos of their last concert, which was filmed, titled The Farm, Behind the Lines, A Concert.
    I asked Momme if it was possible to purchase the DVD and he informed he could sell me one, but that it is in PAL format only. Yes, I have a PAL dvd player I keep around for concerts like this only in PAL.
    I have the concert and it is fantastic. They also have a documentary about preparing and rehearsing for the concert which is included.

I had hopes they would regroup to perform another show with different material, but it looks like their different schedules might prevent that.
    Momme is a percussionist for the band Ignore the Sign and Elmar plays keys and backing vocals for a Aha tribute band.
    The others I have no info on.

I had hoped they had contact information on YT, which is how I contacted them, but it's no longer up there. The official Farm uploads are from user vpdigital.
    I'm still friends with Momme and can contact him to see if they have any DVD's left for purchase if anyone is interested.
    It's a great concert, and the Phil stuff reminds me of the Carousel show setlist.

Thanks for this great community, I hope I can add something here and there.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Is that the Genesis song that goes "Sus-sus-sussudio! Oh-oh!"? It must be.
    No, it's the other "Sussudio."

I had forgotten about this band, they are just really good, it's hard to believe this wasn't more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolton View Post
    I realize this is a bit of an old thread but was recently referred to The Farm Videos on You Tube. I was absolutely blown away by the instrumentals/vocals. My son-in-law is German and was able to interpret some of the dialog in the '07 concert.
    I'd love to get a DVD (PAL or NTSC) and was wondering if you could provide direction/contact ??
    I've seen a number of cover bands and they are by far the best.... I haven't been able to find anything else online re: the band.
    Thanks and Best Regards
    Dave
    My contact was Momme Boe, the drummer. I'll try to get a hold of him via Facebook. Although the group is no longer active, I'm sure he probably has some extra copies of the one show.
    It is in PAL format.
    Interesting side story about Momme. I was so impressed with Momme's drumming, when Saga was looking for a new drummer, they were taking tryouts via video submissions, and I informed Momme about it and he did send them a video. But since Mike Thorne was a Canadian and familiar with the material, he wound up getting the job.
    I'm also FB friends with the singer, he's involved in a A-ha tribute band as their keyboardist and backing vocals. He, Momme and some of the other members of The Farm still remain friends and hope to collaborate again in some way.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Ok, I have sent a PM on Facebook to Momme Boe about the DVD, and will post if/when I hear anything.

I just received a reply from Momme Boe regarding availability of The Farm Live in Hanover concert DVD(PAL), and he still has some copies available.
    Anyone else who may interested in getting a copy, please PM me and I'll provide his email address.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 01-28-2021 at 09:17 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Stumbled across this concert video by accident - The Farm In Concert - https://youtu.be/2_NdrJlkBqE

Bumped. Been watching this tribute band recently. They do excellent Genesis covers.