Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Jonestown Massacre: where to start?

Brian Jonestown Massacre: where to start?

They are often describes as having Psychedelic/Experimental/Folk/Krautrock influences...and I have heard some of their work that sounds pretty interesting.

But since I know nothing about them and nor any of their 20 releases they have out, I was hoping some of you could give me some perspective on where to start(?)

BIG thanks...

Jonestown NOT Jamestown....lol
    Last edited by Mythos; 03-28-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Excellent band. "Methodrone" (their best i.m.o. and a classic neopsychedelic album for the 90s) and "Their satanic majesties second request" are good starters.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Don't know much about them other than the documentary that came out a while back. It was interesting, but the band seemed like a complete mess.

Weren't they the guys who got into a brawl onstage, which just happened to be captured by a documentary film crew?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post

Where to start? Brian Jamestown Massacre
    They are often describes as having Psychedelic/Experimental/Folk/Krautrock influences...and I have heard some of their work that sounds pretty interesting.

But since I know nothing about them and nor any of their 20 releases they have out, I was hoping some of you could give me some perspective on where to start(?)

BIG thanks...

Uhh, I don't know if this is a joke or not, but you might want to start with investigating the catalog of the Brian JONESTOWN Massacre first....
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-25-2018 at 06:22 PM.

I have this Tepid Peppermint compilation which I think is a very decent introduction. A great band in their domain, although I have lost track of their latest output - which should be good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Weren't they the guys who got into a brawl onstage, which just happened to be captured by a documentary film crew?
    Yes, it is in the documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think the best part of it was, if I remember correctly, it was a showcase gig, ie one of those things you do where you're tryign to get a record deal, so you invite about a bunch label henchmen down to a gig at some scuzzy club in NYC or LA or London or whatever, and you try to impress the hell out of them and make them you're gonna be "The Next Big Thing". You can only imagine what these label guys might have been thinking.

I’ll get to them when I’m done investigating the catalogues of The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black and John Cougar Concentration Camp.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I'm really into the Frank Williamsburg Annihilation lately....

Thanks to all that contributed

I'm checking them out now on the Tube...
    Last edited by Mythos; 03-29-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I’ll get to them when I’m done investigating the catalogues of The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black and John Cougar Concentration Camp.
    Is there really a band called the John Cougar Concentration Camp? I remember reading about The Voluptuous Horror Of Karen Black in, I think, Spin magazine, back in the early 90's. I also recall some interviewer asking Karen Black herself about it, with her seeming a bit bewildered by the matter but I gather she ostensibly recognized it as a compliment or an honor or whatever. I do know she seemed to not consider herself to be actually "voluptuous" but I guess that's another matter.

I remember there was also a band called The John Coltrane Wreck or something like that back in the 90's, too.

I think you could start anywhere, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I have this Tepid Peppermint compilation which I think is a very decent introduction. A great band in their domain, although I have lost track of their latest output - which should be good as well.
    Yes, Aufheben and Third World Pyramid were very decent indeed.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    If I remember correctly, they were on tour with The Dandy Warhols, whom they started as friends with and ended up as bitter rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Is there really a band called the John Cougar Concentration Camp?

Technically it’s Jon Cougar Concentration Camp. I guess they did the SCTV thing of, “we spelled it differently, so you can’t sue us!”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    If I remember correctly, they were on tour with The Dandy Warhols, whom they started as friends with and ended up as bitter rivals.
    Yes, the doc profiles both bands. It has been a while since I have seen it, so don't remember a lot of details.

I saw the Dandy Warhols live last summer. Pretty cool band with some proggy textures to their music.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post

Jonestown NOT Jamestown....lol

Last edited by Mythos; 12 Hours Ago at 11:56 PM.

There you go!
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-10-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Cool band. I enjoy their music.
    The Prog Corner

I just saw they are touring the US, so I will prolly go see them when they hit the LA area...

Hey Mythos, thanks for the touring heads up. I'm going to see the Brian James..er...Jonestown Massascre in my neck of the woods in mid May. 22 bucks! I've never seen them live, been at most a casual fan, so this should be pretty cool in a small club atmosphere.

I thought I had been first exposed to the BJM on the Children of Nuggets box set, but in checking it, they aren't on that, must have been some other compilation. Their fuzz guitar, psych, retro garage sound would have fit right on that Children of Nuggets comp.
    I do have the Tepid Peppermint Wonderland 2 CD retrospective and its a great introductory compilation as cited above, it's been awhile since I listened to it. What's crazy about this "band" is the revolving door of musicians--as of the mid 2000s it was up to 40 band members, and who knows how many it's up to now.

It's interesting the band started in 1994 at the height of grunge, but their sound is really more similar to the post punk retro garage bands that were all over the place in the 1980s, like The Cynics, The Creeps, Swingin Neckbreakers, The Cramps etc.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-31-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Cool Doc, be sure to report back here how it was and remember: don't drink the Kool-aid...

If I'm not mistaken, one of the guys in the Brian Jonestown Massacre is/was in the band The Quarter After. Excellent band with Byrds/Moby Grape influences.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Hey Mythos, thanks for the touring heads up. I'm going to see the Brian James..er...Jonestown Massascre in my neck of the woods in mid May. 22 bucks! I've never seen them live, been at most a casual fan, so this should be pretty cool in a small club atmosphere.

I thought I had been first exposed to the BJM on the Children of Nuggets box set, but in checking it, they aren't on that, must have been some other compilation. Their fuzz guitar, psych, retro garage sound would have fit right on that Children of Nuggets comp.
    I do have the Tepid Peppermint Wonderland 2 CD retrospective and its a great introductory compilation as cited above, it's been awhile since I listened to it. What's crazy about this "band" is the revolving door of musicians--as of the mid 2000s it was up to 40 band members, and who knows how many it's up to now.

It's interesting the band started in 1994 at the height of grunge, but their sound is really more similar to the post punk retro garage bands that were all over the place in the 1980s, like The Cynics, The Creeps, Swingin Neckbreakers, The Cramps etc.
    Ι saw them last year in an open air festival, and I was thinking how much better this would be in a small club. I think you'll enjoy.