Thread: Richard Wileman new solo album 'Veil'

Richard Wileman new solo album 'Veil'

Hello PE,

Here's something that will hopefully interest some here. I recently released my debut solo album 'Veil' on CD and last week, it came out on digital too.
    Bandcamp:
    https://richardwileman.bandcamp.com/album/veil
    Genepool:
    http://www.thegenepool.co.uk/items/1835.htm
    Wayside:
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...R-spc-021.aspx

Best wishes,
    Richard

Info:
    New songs and instrumentals written by Richard Wileman plus some rearrangements of Karda Estra pieces that can fit into a live setting. Also includes a cover of 'The Tinker Of Rye' (written by Paul Giovanni) from the film 'The Wicker Man.'

PLEASE NOTE. If you buy the digital download version if this album on Bandcamp, it does not include 'The Tinker Of Rye' track as Bandcamp do not allow download cover versions. The track is however available on other digital download platforms like itunes, Amazon etc. 'The Tinker Of Rye' is included on the CD edition.

'Loving the new solo album from Karda Estra's Richard Wileman. Thoughtful, atmospheric music with an agreeably skewed view of the world around us. Oh, & clarinets!' Sid Smith

'What is great is that you get the best of both worlds, new, stripped back sonic journeys but ones which are built on the same creative pulse, musical references and progressive world view as Karda Estra...wonderfully mercurial and beguiling.' Dave Franklin, Dancing About Architecture

credits:
    Richard Wileman - guitars, bass, keyboards
    samples, percussion, bouzouki, vocals
    Amy Fry - clarinet, vocals
    Jo Court - bass clarinet, alto saxophone
    Lauraine Phelan - trumpet

An absolutely beautiful album. Some typically wonderful Karda Estra-y moments but also lush, imaginative, almost 'lounge-pop' tunes.
    As always with Richard, real attention to detail, inventive arrangements, terrific writing and very nicely recorded. It's a favourite around these parts.

Just lovely - and so great to hear your voice, Richard!
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Got it ~ and what a beautiful thing it is, too! Richard, it's good that you're using your own voice here. It's perfectly suited to this music.

Many thanks, folks. I have been bowled over by the general reaction to this album - particularly as it's my first time singing. I geneuinly expected it to be passed by. In fact I had no expectations at all - it was just something I found I needed to do as a distraction and the recordings came together quickly and releasing it was pretty much an afterthought. It was also nice to do some gigs too.

I nearly didn't send to Kavus for Believers Roast as I didn't really want to bother him or anyone else with it as I wasn't sure about if what I'd created had any great value. But at the very last moment, I thought 'well, why not'?

The next couple of months for me will mainly be tied up with non-musical things but afterwards, I hope to do some more gigs, send the album out some more, keep writing and singing and generally having fun with it. Fingers crossed!

Wow, Richard singing? Well this does sound like an auto-buy to me!

Bill, have you and Richard ever considered working together? I think the musical styles would complement each other well.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Wow, Richard singing? Well this does sound like an auto-buy to me!
    Well, you're the first person to say (or type) that - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Bill, have you and Richard ever considered working together? I think the musical styles would complement each other well.
    That is a compliment I don't think I quite deserve, but thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karda Estra View Post
    Well, you're the first person to say (or type) that - thank you!
    The reviews are good! Funny I may sing a song or two on my next otherwise all instrumental solo effort as well. If they don't sound too awful

I'm not sure if I'll be able to review it (more health issues slowing me down), but I just wanted to throw in my support. A glorious record, Richard, of which you should be especially proud! Moments of darkness, oddly-angled light and curious beauty....
    Cheers!
    John
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

That is a compliment I don't think I quite deserve, but thank you!!
    I can barely collaborate with myself at the moment, so I wouldn't wish my spinning brain on anyone at the moment!

The reviews are good! Funny I may sing a song or two on my next otherwise all instrumental solo effort as well. If they don't sound too awful
    Enjoy the journey! I had to get past the point of it's not nice hearing your voice back on the ansaphone type thing! Nearly there!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to review it (more health issues slowing me down), but I just wanted to throw in my support. A glorious record, Richard, of which you should be especially proud! Moments of darkness, oddly-angled light and curious beauty....
    Cheers!
    John
    Perfectly understand, John. Many thanks for that though. Sorry to read about your continued health issues so especially appreciated. Plus, you've given me two very quotable scentences there for future use!!! Take care, Richard

Thoroughly enjoyable release. Many comments on here resonate with me too. I personally really loved the acoustic guitar's more prominant role on Veil, and those chord progressions that sound both fresh and eternal at the same time. Count me as a fan

Many thanks, Phil - appreciate that coming from such a chord connoisseur as yourself! I've really enjoyed settling back into playing nylon guitar more for this project. I love playing a few different instruments (with varying degrees of success, I might add!!) and really love arranging for loads of other instruments but if I could only have one .... maybe on a desert island .... it would be a nylon guitar.

I like this album. Frankly I like it a bit better then the latest KE album, without wanting to disqualify infernal Spheres.

To my ears it has a bit more variety in moods. There are even a few more uptempo, dare I say, happier tunes that nicely counter the usual dark melancholy.
    Vocals sound fine too.

Nice job! This will get many plays.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I like this album. Frankly I like it a bit better then the latest KE album, without wanting to disqualify infernal Spheres.

To my ears it has a bit more variety in moods. There are even a few more uptempo, dare I say, happier tunes that nicely counter the usual dark melancholy.
    Vocals sound fine too.

Nice job! This will get many plays.
    Many thanks - that's great to know. Appreciate your thoughts and I agree about the variety too. Doing an album this way has certainly allowed me to open up some new avenues which I can hopefully continue to explore.