Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Hammill - Over

Half of it is brilliant (Time Heals is the best PH solo track, methinks), and the other half does bsolutely nothing to me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Big fan of lyrics and this and Nadir have been my two fave Hammill albums. Godbluff and Still Life my favourite Van der Graaf ones.

Another of couple of listens this morning (lol) and I know I sound like a clown but it's a masterpiece. All of it. This guy will never cease to amaze me.

His bass voice in Alice is just beautiful, one of the few instances that the Voice is not felt, I don't think I would recognize him if I didn't know it was him. Of course the song itself is a triumph of raw singing-songwriting, it seems it could go on forever, until it abruptly ends on a question mark.

As does the whole album perhaps? Isn't that a question mark in the end of the finishing "Everything is going to be alright"? Rendering the redemption of Lost and Found rather questionable itself?

The section beginning "La Rossa extends her hands" is one of these golden Hammill moments, well too many to be mentioned here. The whole grief gathered in the previous songs is suddenly transformed into an ethereal feeling of relief . I am not embarrassed to say that it moves me to tears.

Well, at least if I ever go for a second divorce (not the most unlikely thing to happen), I have already found the perfect soundtrack for it!

La Rossa is my favourite pH has ever done. It's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I think on Chameleon and Silent Corner he has already touched on everyday themes, in a more elaborate and poetic way. Over is just spewing emotion, but of course this is no easy job either.

Anyways, he is a fantastic writer the least.
    I haven't listened this one too closely as only heard it online after hearing a lot of his other stuff. Did he basically attack the character of his former partner in some songs? I like much of PH's music but never really liked the idea of a public figure spewing venom on an old partner in such a public setting.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    I haven't listened this one too closely as only heard it online after hearing a lot of his other stuff. Did he basically attack the character of his former partner in some songs? I like much of PH's music but never really liked the idea of a public figure spewing venom on an old partner in such a public setting.
    More on himself than anyone else, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    More on himself than anyone else, I would say.
    That's good to hear!

This really hit me upon first listen and I liked it immediately. Admirably emotional and vulnerable.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post

Lost and Found is also my favorite. I was kicking myself for not having noticed it.
    Mine too...and when Hammill toured with Potter and Smith in late '78, much to my delight, he played it at both shows. Before the show, Pete was interviewed on a local radio station. In fact, he was invited to play DJ for the show. I recorded the radio show, I'll have to dig it out and convert it.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I have been unable to listen to the line "La rossa extends her hands" in Lost and Found without getting goosebumps and eventually break in tears in the last 4 years. No music can have this effect on me.

"I don't believe in anything.... ANYTHING in the world!!!!!!" Betrayed is my favorite angry song of his.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Mine too...and when Hammill toured with Potter and Smith in late '78, much to my delight, he played it at both shows. Before the show, Pete was interviewed on a local radio station. In fact, he was invited to play DJ for the show. I recorded the radio show, I'll have to dig it out and convert it.
    Did that radio show tape ever turn up?