Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TULL collecting

I didn't act quickly enough for the Songs from the Wood box. I tried this fall to order a new copy from Amazon Canada and the order went through with the promise of a January delivery. I just checked on it. Order cancelled and used copies are going for 400 bucks. I think when I get back to the Twin Cities I'll check the used stores and see if there's a copy that is not priced for hundreds of bucks. Same with the Minstrel box.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I didn't act quickly enough for the Songs from the Wood box. I tried this fall to order a new copy from Amazon Canada and the order went through with the promise of a January delivery. I just checked on it. Order cancelled and used copies are going for 400 bucks. I think when I get back to the Twin Cities I'll check the used stores and see if there's a copy that is not priced for hundreds of bucks. Same with the Minstrel box.
    Yeah, Amazon is pretty much a no-go once their initial stock of these has sold out. They often say they will get items for you, but you just wait months (as you have) to no avail. I still have Chris Squire's Swiss Choir album on order. They keep bumping it back by two months at a time, saying they are still trying to locate it, and then cancelling - but allowing me to re-order it and begin the process again. Which I do, just for fun.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'd love to know what the printing run is of these Tull box sets. It seems a bit silly to so limit them so as to deprive yourself of further healthy sales, especially in the case of a popular album like TAAB. The only people making $$ on those now are the hoarders and secondary market charlatans fleecing people on Amazon and Ebay. Even most of the expensive Crimson boxes are still available years and years after their limited runs.

Interesting that the three-year-old Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll deluxe set is still available, while even Heavy Horses, which came out just months ago, is long gone.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Interesting that the three-year-old Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll deluxe set is still available, while even Heavy Horses, which came out just months ago, is long gone.
    Too Old To RNR isn't a very popular title from the back catalogue. People are missing out IMO, that's a terrific set!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Amazon lists the Heavy Horses set as in stock (for what it's worth).

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I'd love to know what the printing run is of these Tull box sets. It seems a bit silly to so limit them so as to deprive yourself of further healthy sales, especially in the case of a popular album like TAAB. The only people making $$ on those now are the hoarders and secondary market charlatans fleecing people on Amazon and Ebay. Even most of the expensive Crimson boxes are still available years and years after their limited runs.
    I remember in '83 or so, U2 was becoming a huge band in the US. Yet they were still being booked in theaters. At the time, their manager explained that this was on purpose: his quote was something like "the buzz generated from a sellout of a smaller venue is worth far more than some extra tickets sold in a half-full arena."

I wouldn't doubt that's the case with the Tull sets as well. People will snap up the new sets because they know many of the older ones sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Actually, yeah, it's on Amazon Canada as well, and on Lasers Edge and Wayside... so that one is definitely still available!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For Songs from the Wood, someone in the US is selling a Near Mint copy for a sort of reasonable price on Discogs.

I guess since the Marillion ones have been selling out pretty fast too, these are just very expensive to keep on the presses for long so they have to strike a balance between how much they can ask per copy and how long they can keep one on the presses.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-23-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Oh, that's good. I was going by its being sold out from Burning Shed.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I don't know the actual numbers of course, but I'd have to believe the sales of Tull SE sets far exceed those of Marillion box sets, esp for ones like TAAB, Aqualung, Songs from the Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I remember in '83 or so, U2 was becoming a huge band in the US. Yet they were still being booked in theaters. At the time, their manager explained that this was on purpose: his quote was something like "the buzz generated from a sellout of a smaller venue is worth far more than some extra tickets sold in a half-full arena."

I wouldn't doubt that's the case with the Tull sets as well. People will snap up the new sets because they know many of the older ones sold out.
    Yeah, I see your analogy, but in the concert attendance case for a new upcoming hot band, you are looking at the bigger picture down the road, knowing you will create more demand when you do go to the bigger venues on the next tour, setting the stage for further high ticket sales. You know it's potentially an ever expanding pie.

In the case of Tull box sets, an old 70s niche prog group in a dying physical product market with declining sales, I would think record execs would be after every single $ they can get their mitts on now, and if you are capping off TAAB sets prematurely when you could sell thousands more, I'm not so sure the "buzz" theory works the same way. There are a lot of casual Tull fans-- who aren't strictly prog fans buying every single box set that comes out--who may be late to the "exclusive party" who might want to get the TAAB or Aqualung set, but maybe aren't going to buy every single set, or even any other set. To me it's an artificial limitation on your potential sales, esp if they are printing the same amounts for every set and not factoring in the popularity of each album, imo.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-23-2018 at 04:45 PM.

I agree. The boxes for the most popular albums should always be in print. There's always going to be fans catching up, collectors that missed one, etc. You are limiting your revenue.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I bought my 14-year old flautist daughter a Tull book with flute solos/tunes for Xmas. Hopefully we can jam together. What's very cool is one of the pieces is "Nice Little Tune" from "Baker Street Muse", which has always been one of my fav Ian melodies - I just love that little bit. She'splaying some difficult Bach so hopefully she can jam on this stuff.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I bought my 14-year old flautist daughter a Tull book with flute solos/tunes for Xmas. Hopefully we can jam together. What's very cool is one of the pieces is "Nice Little Tune" from "Baker Street Muse", which has always been one of my fav Ian melodies - I just love that little bit. She'splaying some difficult Bach so hopefully she can jam on this stuff.
    Are you going to teach her the one bent knee pose?

Are you going to teach her the one bent knee pose?
    She's done it many times before as a goof!

Well, I suppose Steve F would answer this better than I could... In these album sales-dwindling days, uou first have to guess how many copies you'll move out quick and count for 10/15% extra to meet a bit-late demands...

If all goes well, you get almost everything moved within a few months, and one has to wonder whether a re-print is worthy, but in the case of a less popular 70's boxset, you're probably not going to do so, because a smaller reprint will mean more expensive-costs/copy, thus diminisghing your return and leaving the risk of having most of it cluttering your storage area for the next decades to come.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

that's pure speculation.
    If they do get reprinted, it won't be for a decade, and added d-grade bonus stuff so the same 95-y.o. pigeons will go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I agree. The boxes for the most popular albums should always be in print. There's always going to be fans catching up, collectors that missed one, etc. You are limiting your revenue.
    Let's just be happy that the reasoning works for the albums proper, because expecting it for those boxsets is unreal
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Ummmm we have known now for Years that one box set a year is being released.......Budget $50.00 / year for a box..... you not want all of them? then skip the year that you don't want. If you want to "wait out" the market thinking you might save a buck, then so be it......the risk is missing out.....The days of bulging warehouses full of music are long gone....IMO YMMV LOL
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Did a huge Tull binge last night on my playlist.....fell asleep and the music was integrated in my dream....pretty bizarre actually.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    huge Tull binge last night on my playlist.....fell asleep and the music was integrated in my dream.
    Did that orchestral, extremely extended version of "Song for Jeffrey" (with the extra long French-Horn fuzz-solo in the middle) pop up in there?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I found a copy at a local store yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed the studio disc, but the live show is another matter. It's frustrating as the performances strike me as being spirited and inspired, but the sound is pretty lousy overall. The individual instruments sound okay, but the whole thing sounds kinda squashed. No dynamics at all.