Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My grandma listens to the coolest music...

My grandma listens to the coolest music...

I was at a local burger joint and the 20-ish waitress actually said those words to me, possibly for the first time by anyone in history??!

What music is that? I asked.

Her answer? We have really bonded by listening to her Pink Floyd vinyl collection.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The music is top-notch. It's the transmission of culture that is the sticky wicket.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My grandmothers were no help musically, but the last night I spent with my mom was watching Searching for Sugar Man, which was fantastic. She turned me on to it. Thanks, Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I was at a local burger joint and the 20-ish waitress actually said those words to me
    Bear in mind, if she's 20, her mother could be 36-40, and her grandmother 52-60.

In other words, OUR AGE

I agree grandma probably came of age in the late 60s/ early 70s, so her love of Pink Floyd is not too surprising, but to me it is surprising that the music has resonated with a 20 year old. The "cultural transmission," as notall says above, is the thing.

I remember spending many childhood weekends with my grandparents and the TV highlight of the weekend for them was Lawrence Welk. I didn't hate it or anything, just sat there and watched it with them. But I never felt even the slightest connection with any of it. Welk may as well have been from Mars as far as I was concerned. It was just a grandparents thing. So it is interesting that bands such as Floyd can span that age gap in ways that previous pop music could not.

My nieces can claim that their great grandmother listens to the coolest music as my mom is an avid fan of bands like Pink Floyd and Supertramp, and knows her way around the blues....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    So it is interesting that bands such as Floyd can span that age gap in ways that previous pop music could not.
    That's not ENTIRELY true.

There are contemporary big bands -- Ed Palermo, WDR, John Beasley, Baird Hersey, dozens of others -- that trace right back to the 1940s. Of course bop jazz is just as hot today as it's been for sixty years.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    That's not ENTIRELY true.

There are contemporary big bands -- Ed Palermo, WDR, John Beasley, Baird Hersey, dozens of others -- that trace right back to the 1940s. Of course bop jazz is just as hot today as it's been for sixty years.
    True. In fact, we'll be seeing the Squirrel Nut Zippers tomorrow night at a local club.

All that being said, I send more time listening to music MY grandparents probably listened to than I do contemporary music. I love pre-war jazz and blues.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My grandma listened to Cole Porter tunes, the Gershwins, Irving Berlin, Al Jolson etc.

I'm a grandfather, and my grandchildren and my kids, their parents, think I listen to weird cacophony, but progeezer's ghost (who is single) and the rest of the people here at PE know they're wrong, right?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    In fact, we'll be seeing the Squirrel Nut Zippers tomorrow night at a local club.
    I'm surprised they're still going. I saw them in the late 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm a grandfather, and my grandchildren and my kids, their parents, think I listen to weird cacophony, but progeezer's ghost (who is single) and the rest of the people here at PE know they're wrong, right?
    Keep telling yourself that.

And keep your tinfoil hat on.

True. In fact, we'll be seeing the Squirrel Nut Zippers tomorrow night at a local club.

All that being said, I send more time listening to music MY grandparents probably listened to than I do contemporary music. I love pre-war jazz and blues.
    So do I. Now... But would you have sat down with grandma at the age of 20 and listened with her? And thought it was cool music?

I probably only started to appreciate pre-war Jazz after getting the Ken Burns box set. I then bought a few of the individual compilations too and liked them a lot. But I was already in my 30s at the time.

There's tons of music I listen to that I would have scoffed at as a young adult.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

There's tons of music I listen to that I would have scoffed at as a young adult.
    Same here. It's strange how that happens...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Same here. It's strange how that happens...
    It's called evolving. Some do, some don't.

Last night I happened to have a discussion with my wife's 30 year old nephew about Pink Floyd. He is totally into them, owns all of the albums (on vinyl no less). I am not quite old enough to be his grandfather, but not far from it.

Not a grandmother story, but I was in a high school covering for a principal who was sick and I saw a student wearing a Dream Theater shirt. I ask if he has see them in concert and he hadn't. I proceeded to talk about the 3 shows I've seen, meeting Portnoy at 3RP, and ask if he had heard of Symphony X, Haken, or Porcupine Tree.

I thought the kid was going to pee himself. The fact a guy in his 60s could like any type of metal was beyond him, but a PRINCIPAL???? When I walked away, I could hear him whispering to his friends about me.

I've been back to that school two more times and the kid and his friends always search me out at lunch to talk music.

It's called evolving. Some do, some don't.
    I just meant that it can seem odd when comparing current tastes to what we liked in the past.

My first boy-friend had a granddad who loved The Rolling Stones and considered Elvis Presley to soft for his tastes. And this was something like 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Bear in mind, if she's 20, her mother could be 36-40, and her grandmother 52-60.

In other words, OUR AGE
    Thanks for reminding me that I’m old! [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other side there’s a lot of teenagers who love music from the 70’s like Sabbath, Floyd and Zeppelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked my 9 year old grandson what he wanted to listen to in my art studio, his reply; "Do you have Rush - Moving Pictures?" ...I AM the grandparent that listens to the coolest music.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

I know a guy who became a grandfather at 32.

I'm over 40 years older than my daughter so I am old enough to be her grandfather. Sometimes its a lot of fun at school or my kids concerts when they say its so nice that your grandfather came to the show Anyway, she's a teen who just started with the guitar about a year ago and at her classes concert, She played Wish You Were Here! Yeah some of the stuff she and here sister listen to is total garbage, but they do listen to Pink Floyd, Genesis, Chicago etc. They had to or I would disown them

My mom didn't have much use for most of my collection but she loved Genesis. Not often that your Mom tells you to go upstairs and play The Brazilian really loud!
    Last edited by Tangram; 04-02-2018 at 08:03 PM.