Thread: The Giles brothers - their lives before Fripp

The Giles brothers - their lives before Fripp

Just became aware of Peter & Michael Giles having already started their career (all the way back to 62, apparently ) before they met Bobby Fripp and founded their barrister firm named band GG&F.

No doubt not prog, but what did that sound like?

I only found this CD

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...ers/1962_1967/

And I found only this on YT (wrongly attributed as it was The Brain, but I don't even know if it was representative of their stuff))

and for The Trend

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A talented pair, to be sure. But 1962-1967 appears to be too early to really be of any interest to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Discogs
    First recordings with his brother, Peter Giles in Johnny King and The Raiders (1960 - 1961), Dave Anthony and The Rebels (1961), The Dowlands and the Soundtracks (1961 - 1963), The Sands (1963), The Interns (1963), Trendsetter Limited (1964 - 1966), The Trend (1966) and The Brain (1967), before founding Giles, Giles & Fripp in September, 1967.
    Michael Giles "Progress" (recorded 1978, released 2002) is one of my favorite Canterburyesque discs. His drum style is instantly recognizable.

You put this disc together with McDonald & Giles, John G. Perry's "Sunset Wading" and a couple tracks off "Poseidon" and you have a very nice set.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-22-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    A talented pair, to be sure. But 1962-1967 appears to be too early to really be of any interest to me.

Michael Giles "Progress" (recorded 1978, released 2002) is one of my favorite Canterburyesque discs. His drum style is instantly recognizable.

You put this disc together with McDonald & Giles, John G. Perry's "Sunset Wading" and a couple tracks off "Poseidon" and you have a very nice set.
    Haven't seen or heard this one.. only Giles outside of Crimson I've explored was Cheerful Insanity and of course McDonald and Giles.. quick search on Amazon I come up with two others I've never seen or heard.. anyone know of Ghost Dance with Jamie Muir or perhaps In the Moment with Keith Tippet guesting?

"Ghost Dance" is an anomaly, improvised stuff, very formless and abstract. Can't say I ever grew fond of it.

I don't have In The Moment with Keith Tippett guesting... yet.

Hmmm, the Michael Giles Mad Band actually has TWO albums out (2009 and 2011) of improvisations done in the studio. Sounds closer to "Ghost Dance" than "Progress."
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-22-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Michael Giles,still going strong,still being creative,still improvising..Haven't heard anything from him recently(last couple of years) but the MAD BAND albums are well worth checking out.Keith Tippett and Geoff Richardson guest on this concert.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Thanks for this thread! Enjoying that early stuff immensely, and I had no idea about that 1978 Michael Giles record!!

Re: Ghost Dance - I have it, and it has always reminded me of Security-era Gabriel studio backing tracks, minus the vocals & chord changes... Just the lurching, creeping, bed of sounds in the background. Which is to say, I like it. These aren't songs in the traditional sense, but the sound is very rich & engrossing, IMO. I think Ghost Dance is made up of soundtrack work, IIRC.

I've got that Giles Brothers compilation somewhere. From what I recall, it's worth a listen, but not anything really essential. It reminds a bit of compilations of Steve Howe's early bands. You get some proto-Giles, Giles, and Fripp material near the end, which is probably what most people would be most interested in. So if you've heard the Brondesbury Tapes, and are desperate for even more, this is the next place to go.