Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan Dukes de Grey

Jan Dukes de Grey

Mice and Rats in the Loft may very well be the greatest psych folk album of all time, or at the very least, neck and neck with Comus-First Utterance. I took the trip tonight and did not want it to end! There are not enough superlatives to describe this acid drenched and kaleidoscopic masterpiece. Take the trip, motherfuckers!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've taken it, but will try to drag it out and take it again! Been a while.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Listened to it the other day, its right up there with First Utterance. Great stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Definetly a Acid Folk classic, on the same Level as Comus. Will spin that one again on the Weekend.

Fascinatingly odd stuff, not like anything else. With Comus, you can hear a remote connection to other artists, and a legacy in music like Faun Fables. With Jan Dukes de Grey, there's none of that - their music resists attempts to describe it in terms of anything else, or even fit it into any genre. Is it folk-rock, or prog, or jazzy folk? Not really any of these.

I spin it in the car once or twice a year, when on a long trip with the GF in tow.... she loves to sing and yell at the same time in the Sun Symphonia vocals.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Fascinatingly odd stuff, not like anything else [...] With Jan Dukes de Grey, there's none of that - their music resists attempts to describe it in terms of anything else, or even fit it into any genre.
    True, at least for the second album (Mice and Rats). The 'usual' comparison with Comus' F.U. may be due to the nature of singularity in both of them; I personally find more to compare between M&R and parts of what Tea & Symphony did. A threatrical mock-folk/rock/jug endeavour with some very strange underlinings.

The prominent presence of a drumset on M&R renders it more 'rock' than both Comus and T&S, though. A splendid piece of work.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    True, at least for the second album (Mice and Rats). The 'usual' comparison with Comus' F.U. may be due to the nature of singularity in both of them; I personally find more to compare between M&R and parts of what Tea & Symphony did. A threatrical mock-folk/rock/jug endeavour with some very strange underlinings.

The prominent presence of a drumset on M&R renders it more 'rock' than both Comus and T&S, though. A splendid piece of work.
    I'd say the darkness of the lyrics and themes approachzed is the reason why of Comus comparisons, but indeed, I also find that T&S's Asylum for the Musically Insane is musically closer to M&EitL

Though T&S's Jo sago is more in the line of GG&F's Cheerful Insanities
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ok, sounds like I need T&S.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Anyone know where the name came from?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    T&S's Asylum for the Musically Insane is musically closer to M&EitL
    That's the followup; Mice and Elks in the Lavatory.

re: Jo Sago. The comparison between the "Jo Sago" mucisplay and the G,G&F record is spot on, although the latter is more of a song-cycle proper (or, rather, two of them). But side 2 of Jo Sago is almost as odd and original as some of Jan Duke's material.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    sounds like I need T&S.
    Yupz, Ian - you do.

I always found more fundamental artistic relations to TEA & SYMPHONY (especially the 2nd) than COMUS.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Yep, I now see that me and Richard share the sameopinion for "Mice and Rats..." and "Jo Sago".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Fascinatingly odd stuff, not like anything else.
    True, also in terms of arranging-musicianship. The first thing that shook me when I first heard this album is the guitar sound, unlike anything I had ever heard before (is it the tuning? I have zero technical knowledge). Guitars sound like a sitar at points. And the other factor is the drums/percussion, also incomparable to anything at all. A completely unique approach to the playing of the instrument.

Add to this the orchestra-magic...this is a top-100 prog record for me. Most probably on the upper half of it.

In a strange way, I'm also finding huge similarities in mood, between their debut "Sorcerers" and the acoustic numbers on Oliver's "Standing Stone" LP or the far-out melancholy of the Synanthesia album.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Anyone know where the name came from?
    From wiki: "The name "Jan Dukes de Grey" was developed by Noy as an exotic-sounding title with no further significance."

I discovered this group through a crime-novel by Peter Robinson I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    From wiki: "The name "Jan Dukes de Grey" was developed by Noy as an exotic-sounding title with no further significance."
    Thanks. Though that's mildly disappointing.

Yeah. That sucks. I was expecting some alcohol-fused saga.

Well of course Derek Noy said the name had no significance. He couldn't just blurt out the true occult meaning of J.D.d.G. to all and sundry! Such knowledge is only for the initiated, and has consequences.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I discovered this group through a crime-novel by Peter Robinson I think.
    How did this album pop up in a crime novel (context, I mean), Renate??

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Yeah. That sucks. I was expecting some alcohol-fused saga.
    Yeah, or something below the belt

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    How did this album pop up in a crime novel (context, I mean), Renate??
    Well, actually it was the group that was mentioned, I think in the line-up of a fictional festival.
    This is the book https://www.inspectorbanks.com/books/piece-of-my-heart/ and the group is also mentioned in the playlist.

I’m a big fan of T&S’ Asylum album. It’s definitely...odd. The *ahem!* idiosyncratic/expressionistic vocals are bound to make this of limited interest. But it definitely gets points for not being typical by any means. It’s absolutely “progressive” in the sense of trying new and unexpected things with instrumentation and song forms.

It’s been a long time since I last heard Jo Sago. Has it ever been officially reissued in any format?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

It’s been a long time since I last heard Jo Sago. Has it ever been officially reissued in any format?
    Esoteric did one a couple of years ago.