Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The song or soundtrack is more popular than the movie

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: Flash
    I only remember hearing that song on the radio once, right when the movie came out. Incidentally, Flash Gordon is one of my favorite movies. How could it not be? Look at that cast (you've got a future James Bond, a former Ingmar Bergman collaborator, a soap actress, a guy who was in Fiddler On The Roof, a former Blue Peter presenter, the guy who wrote the songs for Rocky Horror Picture Show, the author of Look Back In Anger, several actors who were stars in Europe but completely unknown Stateside, and topping it all off, a Playgirl refugee in the lead role!).
    I love Flash Gordon for the cheesy nostalgia! I still have the hard cover movie book edition:

...and this photo from the book always had me seeing things a bit differently -- if you use a perverted eye to view:

I remember being aroused by Ornella Muti in FLASH.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I love Flash Gordon for the cheesy nostalgia! I still have the hard cover movie book edition:

Damn! I saw that in a store, exactly once, and then never again! Needless to say, I couldn't get my mom to buy it for me. I almost thought maybe I hallucinated it, until someone posted a pdf (or something similar to a pdf) on Cinemageddon three and a half decades later!

I remember being aroused by Ornella Muti in FLASH.
    I think we all were. And Mariangella Melato wasn't hard on the eyes either. Like I said, both were pretty famous in Europe, but are basically unknown Stateside, apart from Flash Gordon.

BTW, did anyone ever catch that Princess Aura's pet (played by the legendary Deep Roy, so that adds a Doctor Who refugee to the tally) was named Fellini? He's identified in the closing credits as "Princess Aura's pet", but I think it's the throne room scene, before the Football Fight, she says "Come along, Fellini". I always wondered if that was a deliberate allusion to Don Federico. I eventually found out that Dino De Laurentiis produced several of Fellini's movies, so I'm guessing it was indeed a tip of the hat in that direction.

OH yeah, another great line in Flash Gordon:

"And I understand you're refused your last meal. The chef will be most unhappy."

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    How many people remember The Man From Hong Kong (a.k.a. The Dragon Flies), an average Hong Kong/Australia co-produced action flick starring Jimmy Wang Yu and George Lazenby? Nobody? Because I guarantee you remember its theme song:

First time I heard this on the radio I thought it was Macca...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think Magical Mystery Tour and I Am The Walrus would be better examples.

In which alternate universe? I thought we established the fact that nobody ever buys Tony Banks' solo records, so how could his soundtrack work be popular at all, much less more popular than the films they're related to?!
    Evidently so on the Beatles, since I didn't even know MMT and Walrus were movies!

As to Tony Banks, perhaps I should have said that Lorca and the Outlaws and The Wicked Lady were somehow astoundingly even less popular than the soundtracks. If you consider 32 people bought the Wicked Lady soundtrack and 16 people went to the movie who were enamored with Faye Dunaway, I can quite accurately aver that the soundtrack is twice as popular as the movie

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Evidently so on the Beatles, since I didn't even know MMT and Walrus were movies!
    Well, not a movie, but they were in a TV special, which has been largely forgotten, I think.

As to Tony Banks, perhaps I should have said that Lorca and the Outlaws and The Wicked Lady were somehow astoundingly even less popular than the soundtracks. If you consider 32 people bought the Wicked Lady soundtrack and 16 people went to the movie who were enamored with Faye Dunaway, I can quite accurately aver that the soundtrack is twice as popular as the movie
    You're telling me there's more Genesis fanboys on this planet than there are Faye Dunaway fanboys? I would have thought it would have been about 50/50.

A lot of the films, mostly B movies, for which Ennio Morricone composed the soundtrack are really bad while his soundtracks are either very good or even excellent. Short of names but a lot of these films are forgettable.
    The Invisible Woman
    Death Rides A Horse
    Méti Una Sera Il Ce n'a
    These 3 films are actually quite good but far less popular then the soundtrack

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Last edited by alucard; 03-30-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    A lot of the films, mostly B movies, for which Ennio Morricone composed the soundtrack are really bad while his soundtracks are either very good or even excellent. Short of names but a lot of these films are forgettable.
    I remember reading a fairly recent (like in the last 10 years) review of Orca, where it was pointed out that when Morricone's name appears in the opening credits, you realize two things:

1. Ennio Morricone did the music for this movie
    2. Ennio Morricone did the music for this movie

I guess the first is denoting the fact that a legendary film music composer composed the music for this film. The second noting that said legendary composer composed the music for a big budgeted but flimsy Jaws knock offs. And indeed, I've seen a lot of such films, and this one probably does have the best music, in terms of traditional orchestral film music type composing.