Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kansas- 2018 POKR 40th Anni Tour

Kansas- 2018 POKR 40th Anni Tour

Their tour playing Leftoverture top to bottom proved to be their best in decades.

They are looking to see if lightning strikes twice, and with a tune on this album called Lightning's Hand...how could it not?

ks.jpg

ROCK BAND KANSAS TO LAUNCH TOUR IN CELEBRATION OF 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF ICONIC ALBUM…
    POINT OF KNOW RETURN

SEXTUPLE-PLATINUM ALBUM TO BE PERFORMED IN ITS ENTIRETY

Nashville, TN – March 19, 2018 – America’s preeminent progressive rock band, KANSAS, will be touring select U.S. cities this fall celebrating the 40th Anniversary of their massive hit album Point of Know Return. To celebrate, for the first time in history, the band will be performing the album in its entirety. The tour will showcase more than two hours of classic KANSAS music including hit songs, deep cuts, and fan favorites. Billboard exclusively announced the tour here: http://bit.ly/BillboardKansasPOKR2018

Tickets and KANSAS VIP Packages for most dates go on sale to the general public Friday, March 23, 2018. Ticket information can be found at www.kansasband.com.

In 1977, KANSAS followed up the success of Leftoverture by releasing the album Point of Know Return. Containing the smash hit and million-selling single “Dust in the Wind,” along with fan favorites such as “Portrait (He Knew),” “Closet Chronicles,” and “Paradox,” Point of Know Return became the band’s greatest selling album. The album peaked at #4 on Billboard’s Album charts, reached sextuple-platinum status with more than six million copies sold, and had three Billboard Hot 100 singles.

“After the success of the album Leftoverture, it was hard to imagine when we released Point of Know Return that this album would be even bigger, but it was,” comments KANSAS guitarist, and original member, Richard Williams. “From the album artwork to the song ‘Dust in the Wind,’ the album Point of Know Return is really ingrained in Rock N Roll history and even in popular culture. The past two years we have done around 80 select shows performing the album Leftoverture in its entirety. We have been blown away by the positive fan response. Our hope is that fans will enjoy this Point of Know Return Tour just as much, and hopefully even more!“

Throughout the tour, live shows will not only culminate with the album Point of Know Return performed in its entirety, but KANSAS will also perform classic hits, deep cuts, and fan favorites. The band has not publicly performed some songs in the more than two-hour KANSAS musical event in decades, if ever.

KANSAS lead vocalist Ronnie Platt adds, “I often joke that I cannot be in charge of putting together a set list, because there are too many songs that I really want to perform. These shows, though, will be about as close as it gets. Of course, there will be hits like ‘Carry On Wayward Son,’ but to know we will be performing songs that KANSAS has not performed live for twenty or thirty years, or even ever, that is just really exciting. It is going to be a lot of fun.”

KANSAS POINT OF KNOW RETURN ANNIVERSARY TOUR CONFIRMED DATES:

DATE CITY/STATE VENUE
    September 28 Atlanta, GA Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center
    September 29 Nashville, TN Ryman Auditorium
    October 5 Glenside, PA Keswick Theatre
    October 6 Pittsburgh, PA Heinz Hall
    October 12 Milwaukee, WI Pabst Theater
    October 13 Chicago, IL Chicago Theater
    October 19 Kansas City, MO Arvest Bank Theatre at the Midland
    October 20 St. Louis, MO Fabulous Fox Theater
    October 26 Kalamazoo, MI The State Theatre
    October 27 Detroit, MI Fox Theater
    November 2 San Antonio, TX The Tobin Center for Performing Arts
    November 3 Dallas, TX Majestic Theater
    November 9 Cincinnati, OH Taft Theatre
    November 10 Indianapolis, IN Murat Theatre at Old National Centre
    November 16 Huntington, NY The Paramount
    November 17 Worcester, MA Hanover Theatre
    November 23 Wilkes-Barre, PA The F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts
    November 24 Baltimore, MD Modell Performing Arts Center at the Lyric
    November 30 Asheville, NC Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
    December 1 Columbia, SC The Township Auditorium
    December 6 Mobile, AL Saenger Theatre
    December 8 Clearwater, FL Ruth Eckerd Hall
    December 14 Daytona Beach, FL Peabody Auditorium
    December 15 Fort Lauderdale, FL Au-Rene Theater at Broward Center

PS - If you read this far, the passcode for the fan club pre-sale starting at 10AM on Tuesday, March 20 is KANSASBAND.

How is Billy going to the Robbie tunes justice???[emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Maybe Robby will make a special appearance.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This looks good but no Canadian dates, not even Montreal or Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    This looks good but no Canadian dates, not even Montreal or Toronto.
    Don't think they had canadian dates for leftoverture - I went to buffalo to catch the show (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

If this comes close I'll definitely go.

I had posted earlier in another Kansas thread that it was odd that they were doing mostly a hits tour this summer from the dates they had posted, because I could have sworn they had said they'd be doing a POKR tour this year. Thankfully, this is the news I was waiting for. I'm in on possibly 2 shows--a lot of Midwest dates to choose from!

lame they are coming to my area not long from now but probably just the hits show that has been complained about. I will wait until they expand this show hopefully!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Don't think they had canadian dates for leftoverture - I went to buffalo to catch the show (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

If this comes close I'll definitely go.
    Yeah, That's relatively close to Toronto. If they played Montreal, that's a two hour drive from Ottawa.

My guess is given the success of the Leftoverture anniv tour, and the popularity of POKR, they will add more legs and tour this extensively. They added a lot of dates for the Leftoverture tour after the initial ones.

My only regret is Walsh didn't stay on to do these 2 albums in their entirety.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-19-2018 at 07:22 PM.

TX but no AZ...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Their Leftoverture tour was great, the whole album plus gems like Mariabronne and Lamplight Symphony. I've seen them 8 or 9 times and have yet to see them play Closet Chronicles. Friday night show at the beautiful Taft Theater? I'm there!

"Nobody's Home" will be interesting.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I see they're skipping NYC, just playing Long Island. I'm glad I got a ticket for the Tarrytown show this summer, even though it's not a POKR show.

Shouldn't that be the 41st Anniversary Tour??

I'm guessing they won't do similar tours for Monolith and Audio-Visions...

I missed the Leftoverture shows (I thought I was attending one, but they didn't play that set, for some reason), so I may have to get in on this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Shouldn't that be the 41st Anniversary Tour??

I'm guessing they won't do similar tours for Monolith and Audio-Visions...
    I highly doubt that! but if they want to have more fun with the anniversaries they could do the 45th of the debut. Don't know how many butts that would put in seats overall but mine would be one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I highly doubt that! but if they want to have more fun with the anniversaries they could do the 45th of the debut. Don't know how many butts that would put in seats overall but mine would be one of them!
    That first Kansas LP is my favorite American Prog album ever.
    The Prog Corner

Dead center, 11th row, aisle seats, at the best second tier price level row (row in front of me $50 more!). For once a presale actually delivers the goods on seats.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-20-2018 at 02:56 PM.

It looks like if you have a hankerin' to see the Leftoverture tour show, you've got 3 chances left:

March 21--Dayton OH
    April 4--Davenport IA
    April 5--Bloomington IL

The rest of the spring/summer is all Hits shows, and then the fall beginning in Atlanta Sept 28 starts up the POKR anniv tour.
    That Bloomington IL date is tempting for me, especially if they keep Mariabronn and Lamplight in the setlists like last year's tour.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-20-2018 at 06:32 PM.

I saw the Leftoverture tour and it was amazing. Having seen Kansas over 10 times, most with Walsh, pretty much every show has been tight and high-energy...but the Leftoverture show was probably the most satisfying I've seen. Very strong performances from all, and long and varied enough to not leave you wanting more. I highly recommend seeing them. I plan to see the POKR show if I possibly can.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I see they're skipping NYC, just playing Long Island. I'm glad I got a ticket for the Tarrytown show this summer, even though it's not a POKR show.
    They will play bigger cities next year. They generate a buzz through these shows and get bigger places to play in the larger cities next year. That is pretty much how LO tour went. We didn't see them in LA until April of 2017.

i'd love to see this show.... if Steve & Robbie were still in the band.
    sadly, Kansas has become it's own cover band.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i'd love to see this show.... if Steve & Robbie were still in the band.
    sadly, Kansas has become it's own cover band.
    And they're better for it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

i don't think so, it's Kansas with a different singer.
    their studio albums will never come close to the writing of Walsh & Livgren.

Steve can't sing anymore. Their live shows are fantastic.